Leaving this week - Some final questions

newlife_2010

This is my third cruise but its been quite some years so I just want to crosscheck. Background - I am cruising on the Paradise, January 10 sailing out of Tampa (solo).

1) Are there any "must haves" packing I should bring? I am taking as little as possible but is there anything that I may need that I am liable to forget?

2) For a 5 night cruise - how much money should I place for a cash deposit (I would rather not use my CC as I will keep that open for emergencies)?

3) I am an avid soda drinker and will purchase the Bubbles program - I have read I should not purchase until after we sail to avoid taxes (but then I read they charge a .12 cent tax now anyway. Any suggestions on when I should purchase.

4) In the MDR - how will I receive my soda? Is there a bar in there I need to go to or will they check my card and bring my drinks to me?

5) For the "Drink of the Day" do they still offer the non-alcoholic version? How much are those?

6) Finally, any suggestions on things to check out on the Paradise that I may miss? Any links to a great pictorial review of someones Paradise crew?

Remember sunscreen, visor/hat, powerstrip, regular meds and meds for a cold/headache, singles for tipping room service, turn your phone on airplane mode once you hit international waters, highliter for marking Fun Times, chip bag clips to hold down hem of shower curtain, good book for relaxing on lido deck, more than one swimsuit, Tervis cup for soda refills, beach bag for lido or excursions.

Make a printout of your excursions, travel insurance if you have it and cruising travel docs.

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions!

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Remember sunscreen, visor/hat, powerstrip, regular meds and meds for a cold/headache, singles for tipping room service, turn your phone on airplane mode once you hit international waters, highliter for marking Fun Times, chip bag clips to hold down hem of shower curtain, good book for relaxing on lido deck, more than one swimsuit, Tervis cup for soda refills, beach bag for lido or excursions.

Make a printout of your excursions, travel insurance if you have it and cruising travel docs.

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions!

Have a great cruise!

If i keep my phone in airplane mode that will not incur charges? The book is covered in the form of my dissertation, lol. I am editing on sea days. Where can i buy a trevis cup?

Newlife, we purchase the soda program in port and were not levied any additional charges but don't sweat $.12. We leave our phone on airplane mode but sometimes use it for wifi (data turned off). We have never had any charges. I would put a at least $200.00 on the ship account, more if you have not pre-paided the tips. Good luck with the PhD, hire an editor and leave it onshore.

Have fun.

Oh and get some Poo Potpurie. I was given some for Christmas at work as a fun gift but the truth be known it really works. I brought on my last cruise because I Really hate the smell in the bathroom when using but spray the Poo Potpurie in the bowl and it conceals it. Happy sailing

If i keep my phone in airplane mode that will not incur charges? The book is covered in the form of my dissertation, lol. I am editing on sea days. Where can i buy a trevis cup?

You can get a trevis cup ( or comparable) in the Carnival gift shop. We got one first day on board for $10 a piece I think. What is the subject of your dissertation?

Edited by momonthego17

If you buy the soda program, you can get a cup that they will refill for you (if not a tervis tumbler, very similar). Also, in the MDR they will bring you a soda after the first night without even checking your card. FOr me, they always had the soda waiting when I got to the table.

Things not to forget, a small medicine kit...Tylenol, antacids, bandaids, allergy meds. You do NOT want to have to buy these on the ship!! LOL

"Paradise" is one of the very few Carnival ships that still has a full band, and full compliment of singers/dancers, so don't miss the BIG shows in the theater. "8 More Seconds" is an outstanding show, and I highly recommend seeing that one, along with "Shout". Both are EXCELLENT, and as noted, very few ships offer these shows. ENJOY! :cool:

Oh yes,,,CONGRATS on the PHD!

"SKY"

You can get a trevis cup ( or comparable) in the Carnival gift shop. We got one first day on board for $10 a piece I think. What is the subject of your dissertation?

I am looking at access and participation of African American Males in Graduate Programs. I may invest in the trevis cup.

"Paradise" is one of the very few Carnival ships that still has a full band, and full compliment of singers/dancers, so don't miss the BIG shows in the theater. "8 More Seconds" is an outstanding show, and I highly recommend seeing that one, along with "Shout". Both are EXCELLENT, and as noted, very few ships offer these shows. ENJOY! :cool:

Oh yes,,,CONGRATS on the PHD!

"SKY"

I have always enjoyed the carnival shows (the 2.0 upgrades seem to have eliminated alot of them). I am looking forward to the evening onboard - dinner in the MDR and a show. Thank you on the well wishes :)

Oh and get some Poo Potpurie. I was given some for Christmas at work as a fun gift but the truth be known it really works. I brought on my last cruise because I Really hate the smell in the bathroom when using but spray the Poo Potpurie in the bowl and it conceals it. Happy sailing

I have used it from the tv nework and yes it works :)

2) For a 5 night cruise - how much money should I place for a cash deposit (I would rather not use my CC as I will keep that open for emergencies)?

Tips are 12.00 a night so place that on there and any other monies you think you might spend. Last cruise we prepaid the tips. and placed 100.00 cash which we closed out the night before

3) I am an avid soda drinker and will purchase the Bubbles program - I have read I should not purchase until after we sail to avoid taxes (but then I read they charge a .12 cent tax now anyway. Any suggestions on when I should purchase.

you save 1.24 Why wait?? unless you do not care to drink iced tea and lemonade the first day. I do not understand people that say to wait.

4) In the MDR - how will I receive my soda? Is there a bar in there I need to go to or will they check my card and bring my drinks to me?

I stop at a bar to get my first glass of soda-- it is a glass. ask for light ice. there is only 1-2 bar waiters in the dining room and it could take a while to get your first glass. You will not be a priorty as there is no tip from that soda card forthcoming.

5) For the "Drink of the Day" do they still offer the non-alcoholic version? How much are those? $4.95 plus gratuity

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

answers hightlighted above

I am looking at access and participation of African American Males in Graduate Programs. I may invest in the trevis cup.

Newlife, have I got a deal for you. If you come to the "Meet-n-Greet" right after the lifeboat drill, and identify yourself to me, I'll GIVE you a brand new Tervis Cup. That used to be the gift received by the platinum/diamond guests, and I have quite a few of them, so I'd be happy to share. I've already put it with my luggage so I'll remember to bring it along. Look forward to shaking your hand, and meeting you. OH CRAP! Just realized you're sailing on the 10th, and I'm sailing on the 19th. Sorry about that. Maybe next time....

"SKY"

Ken

Edited by SkyMaster
Updated information......

Newlife, have I got a deal for you. If you come to the "Meet-n-Greet" right after the lifeboat drill, and identify yourself to me, I'll GIVE you a brand new Tervis Cup. That used to be the gift received by the platinum/diamond guests, and I have quite a few of them, so I'd be happy to share. I've already put it with my luggage so I'll remember to bring it along. Look forward to shaking your hand, and meeting you. OH CRAP! Just realized you're sailing on the 10th, and I'm sailing on the 19th. Sorry about that. Maybe next time....

"SKY"

Ken

Hi Ken - I got beyond excited :) No worries but thank you for the offer. Just missing each other by a few days. Have a wonderful cruise Ken.

1) Are there any "must haves" packing I should bring? I am taking as little as possible but is there anything that I may need that I am liable to forget?

Definitely a travel alarm clock since there are no clocks in the cabins. Hairdryer. Maybe a power cord since there is only one outlet.

My husband bought his once we got onboard. They will put a little sticker on your Sign and Sail card to show you have the soda package.

They will bring your drinks to you in the MDR.

5) For the "Drink of the Day" do they still offer the non-alcoholic version? How much are those?

6) Finally, any suggestions on things to check out on the Paradise that I may miss? Any links to a great pictorial review of someones Paradise crew?

The mini-martini tasting at the Rotterdam Bar is fun.

Don't miss going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge (about 2 hours after setting sail from Tampa).

ry%3D480

Edited by CruisinCrow

Another question - can i seal my luggage tag with clear packing tape?

That is what I use. Cheaper than laminating. Others prefer clear luggage tags and then slipping the Carnival one into it.

Newlife, I don't know if you are female or in an age where you might need it but think carefully about things you might need during certain times of the month. The ship has poor selection and they are priced like they must be made with some gold or diamonds.

As others have said travel sized medicine and a first aid kit. We also take a "sewing" kit. Nothing worse that a button popping off right before you are ready to go out the door.

Have a wonderful cruise and congrats on the PhD.