Tip ?

they will also fawn all over your child everywhere it is. and sorry but having to deal with feces and urine deserves a tip.

children cost money. when you have then you accept that

furthermore your child is taking up a berth that will NOT be supplemented by an adult buying booze, eating in specialty restaurants and otherwise generating income.

What does tipping have to do with it? Not all onboard purchases involve tipping. You're basically saying that infants should be charged full tips because they aren't generating income for the cruise line.

If you have anytime or mytime dining gratuities have to be prepaid.

If you have fixed , gratuity pre payment is optional.

Go to guest services the last night of the cruise, ask to have prepaid tips removed in order to leave cash, then pick up envelopes.

I did not remove tips even when guest service asked. Odd...she kept saying are u sure? I said yes...I want to leave extra in addition to prepaid.

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Forums mobile app

A 3rd person rate let's say is 400 dollars. That third person can be 6 months or 60 years old. The rate don't change. Than I'm expected to pay the same in Tips for a 60 years old as opposed to a infant 6 month old. Where's the logic in that really. Oh thanks for the high chair here's a 5 spot for that. Give me a break to criticize me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you booked a cruise without knowing the cost or how much you'll be paying?

OP has twin 6 month old infants and a two year old. It was mentioned in an older thread.

Yes, and at the time of the cruise later this year (Grandeur 11/21/15), there will be two 18-month olds - not my definition of an infant in any way - and one three year old. Is OP going to remove tips for the two youngest children?

OP, please reconsider your decision to remove the gratuities for the toddlers. I absolutely guarantee the staff will delight in them and take good care of them, working very hard for them and for you to give you a wonderful cruise experience. They will, in my opinion, absolutely earn the tips which you are considering removing for your two youngest children.

Not trying to argue, but I recommend waiting to decide on modifying the tip after you can see how much or how little service is given to your family. We have traveled with a 5 month old. We paid full gratuity, but I felt they deserved it.

Its been a few years, but some things that stand out were putting up and taking down of pack n play, making sure we had extra space in dining room to bring stroller in so baby could sleep, giving us extra help at dinner time with other kids while we had our hands full taking care of the baby. Just a few things I remember that made me think the service on a cruise made it an enjoyable way to vacation with an infant.

But by all means, if you dont feel the gratuity matches the service, feel free to adjust!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Agree 100 percent. It is amazing someone who has never cruised already knows exactly everything that is going to happen and are so full of themselves.

OP, are you sure you actually have kids? I have twins, and the amount of dishes, laundry, towels, waste (human and otherwise), and mess they produce is insane. I would bet money that your staff will earn their tips. For your older kids, on just about every cruise I have been on, the staff cut their food for me so I can eat my meal when it is actually warm. One example of the many things they do to make kids and adults happy.

If you get to the last night and feel they did nothing special for your little one, by all means remove the tips. I am not sure where your cranky arrogance comes from, why not just see how things go?

I am a huge believer in tipping the staff well, but I make reasonable exceptions: For example, on one cruise, I had a head server I never saw once until the last night when he came by with his hand out. Did not even know he existed, his tips were gladly removed and transferred over to my server who was awesome, along with some extra. I feel a head server should show their face at least once a night, if not every other night, to make sure everything is going OK. I know many will disagree with me.

I'm not trying to start a big thing here,I just am new to royal Caribbean. We booked for our family of 5. I understand all the cruise lines charge for infants. But I just found out that royal is going to charge them for tips just as they were adults. My wife and I take care of them in every aspect. So are they charging the tip just because there will be diapers in the garbage? Ridiculous. Are these tips able to be removed? If so I will be doing so and not because I'm a jerk or cheap. It's just common sense. I think they charge to much to begin with for a infant anyways.

mrmet:

I have waited to post a reply, like Karen.

But now I am ready, after 31 replies to your Original Post.

Today, you also posted this:

We just booked today!! We're rolling deep, it's me. My wife and I. Our three kids. twin 1 year olds and their oldest brother who will be 3. Our 5th cruise first on royal Caribbean.

So, we are looking at two adult parents and two almost two year olds and a three year old. (since the cruise is almost a year away)

I sense from you that you have looked at what tips for five will cost. Your Grandeur cruise is over Thanksgiving. It is 8 nights. My conjecture: You did the math: 8 x 5 x 12 = $480. You thought to yourself: Wow, that's a lot of money. Why should I pay $480???? How can I make that number smaller?

The fact is, Royal Caribbean (and I) believe that $12 a day to the staff who serve me, and anyone traveling with me, is a minimally acceptable amount for the service that they provide.

It's not "OMG, I have to pay $96 during my cruise!" It's $12 a day.

Stop dwelling on the "OMG, it's almost another $500 for this cruise that I hadn't planned on!"

Please do not remove the minimum suggested amounts from your account.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Just want to make sure I understand.

You have twins that will be under 1 year.

Do those twins not eat? It appears they will be close to 1 year when you travel. Most 1 year olds eat some sort of table food.

You are bringing all of your own bedding for said twins?

You are not planning on bathing said twins so there will be no use of towels and face clothes etc?

You have perfect under 1 year old twins that don't generate a stitch of trash?

You will bag all of your diapers and take them off the ship yourself so that housekeeping doesn't have to deal with them?

Do those twins not eat? It appears they will be close to 1 year when you travel. Most 1 year olds eat some sort of table food...

Actually, some of us figured out that the twins will be 18 months when OP and his family sail. So yes, indeed, everything you mentioned comes into play.

I hope OP comes back and contributes more to his thread. Perhaps he will reconsider his original decision?

I still think RCI could help get clarify questions like this if they just called it a service fee, which it really is these days. All cruise lines are starting to get closer to mandating tips. People who cruise often, like us, don't consider it optional and there are times, like with My Time dining, that it is not optional. Yes they still label it as "gratuities". Since gratuities are defined as an optional reward for good service what RCI does isn't really falling under that definition any longer. There are also cultures where tipping is sort of looked on as foolish or with disdain.

If they just called it a "Per person service fee" I bet people would not complain. I don't know if there would be any tax implications to making the change. Maybe there is a good reason for leaving it psuedo-optional. There is something about being forced to pay something that is optional by definition that just confuses a lot of people.

It may work out better for the workers as well since, if it's not called a tip, more passengers may tip additionally because they won't feel, or know, they already did.

Tom

I still think RCI could help get clarify questions like this if they just called it a service fee, which it really is these days. All cruise lines are starting to get closer to mandating tips. People who cruise often, like us, don't consider it optional and there are times, like with My Time dining, that it is not optional. Yes they still label it as "gratuities". Since gratuities are defined as an optional reward for good service what RCI does isn't really falling under that definition any longer. There are also cultures where tipping is sort of looked on as foolish or with disdain.

If they just called it a "Per person service fee" I bet people would not complain. I don't know if there would be any tax implications to making the change. Maybe there is a good reason for leaving it psuedo-optional. There is something about being forced to pay something that is optional by definition that just confuses a lot of people.

It may work out better for the workers as well since, if it's not called a tip, more passengers may tip additionally because they won't feel, or know, they already did.

Tom

Why not just add the gratuity into cruise fare?

I think they like to leave it separate because it allows them to advertise the fares as less than they really are. Regular cruisers are wise to the extra costs, but novice cruisers may not be so much.

They also don't know the $10 watch is only worth about $1.50 :rolleyes:

Plus, so long as we keep it as a service fee we know it all goes to the staff (or at least they are saying it does so we can assume that).

Tom

Why not just add the gratuity into cruise fare?

I'm not trying to start a big thing here,I just am new to royal Caribbean. We booked for our family of 5. I understand all the cruise lines charge for infants. But I just found out that royal is going to charge them for tips just as they were adults. My wife and I take care of them in every aspect. So are they charging the tip just because there will be diapers in the garbage? Ridiculous. Are these tips able to be removed? If so I will be doing so and not because I'm a jerk or cheap. It's just common sense. I think they charge to much to begin with for a infant anyways.

Candidly I think a few on this thread are being a bit harsh towards the OP. I'm not sure that I agree with everyone that an infant requires the same level of staff attention as an adult. I've been on many cruises and witnessed lots of high maintenance adults over the years. I'm betting most of you have too.

To the OP: You might consider if your children are involved in some of the kids programs and to what level? Also, if you are in a suite and use the services of the concierge what that is worth. Do you eat your meals in the buffet or use the dining room every night? Tipping is a personal expression of thanks for services provided and I think you need to honestly assess the effort the staff puts forth with regard to your children when deciding on a gratuity on their behalf at the conclusion of your cruise. I do believe that it takes more effort for the staff to care for a family of five than it does a couple of two (all things being equal). Personally, although I have never left a gratuity less than the recommended amounts I frequently leave higher tips based on the level of service (and friendliness of the staff) once the cruise has concluded.

One final thought...tipping on a cruise ship is part of the culture of cruising. That may change as time goes on but currently that's the standard. Good luck and happy cruising.

Tom

I suspect that it's a competition thing. If mandatory do they have to include it in their advertised price? They all try to list prices so low that we would be foolish not to cruise. Then there's reality.

I think they like to leave it separate because it allows them to advertise the fares as less than they really are. Regular cruisers are wise to the extra costs, but novice cruisers may not be so much.

They also don't know the $10 watch is only worth about $1.50 :rolleyes:

Plus, so long as we keep it as a service fee we know it all goes to the staff (or at least they are saying it does so we can assume that).

Tom

I agree with your statement. Travel in general has become more ala carte in nature. Cruising is no exception to the rule.

A 3rd person rate let's say is 400 dollars. That third person can be 6 months or 60 years old. The rate don't change. Than I'm expected to pay the same in Tips for a 60 years old as opposed to a infant 6 month old. Where's the logic in that really. Oh thanks for the high chair here's a 5 spot for that. Give me a break to criticize me

There seems to be some confusion around the ages of your children. Other posters have estimated that your twins will be 18 months old and the other child will be 3 when you actually set sail. Yet in your posts you continually refer to the kids as infants and/or 6 months old. If they are indeed older then why do you keep referring to them as infants?

I get the concern over tipping for an infant....but there is a huge difference between the debris of an infant and the debris that is left in the wake of a pair of 18 month old twins and a 3 year old:eek: Labeling them infants will get you a certain amount of agreement (sympathy) for your argument against tipping. I wonder how many people would be in agreement if your kids are toddlers...

Anywho, I think you should wait to see how it plays out and make your decision at the end of the cruise...but judging by the "tone" in your first post it appears that you have already made up your mind.

Ok I can't respond to all the people speculating my financial situation. Some people made ignorant statements and some almost valid. If some people feel there better than me because they believe tipping for an infant is the right thing to do. So be it. I don't follow the masses and unfortunately I have a different opinion of the matter. So does carnival cruise line also. Also to clarify my kids on day of cruise will be twins 16 months and son 3And again I'm discussing my twins. I'm trying to be polite by saying proudly that I don't believe the tips are warranted. If my twins make a mess of the room, I'm sure not going to expect the Stewart to clean it up. I'm sure my do not disturb will be on the door handle 24/7 all week. This way he:she will have an easier day at work. Sorry to offend so many people. I and ang u have a good point about waiting till the end of cruise to decide

There seems to be some confusion around the ages of your children. Other posters have estimated that your twins will be 18 months old and the other child will be 3 when you actually set sail. Yet in your posts you continually refer to the kids as infants and/or 6 months old. If they are indeed older then why do you keep referring to them as infants?

I get the concern over tipping for an infant....but there is a huge difference between the debris of an infant and the debris that is left in the wake of a pair of 18 month old twins and a 3 year old:eek: Labeling them infants will get you a certain amount of agreement (sympathy) for your argument against tipping. I wonder how many people would be in agreement if your kids are toddlers...

Anywho, I think you should wait to see how it plays out and make your decision at the end of the cruise...but judging by the "tone" in your first post it appears that you have already made up your mind.

I say infants because that's the policy. I'm not looking for sympathy. I just stated the facts

...If some people feel there better than me because they believe tipping for an infant is the right thing to do. So be it. I don't follow the masses and unfortunately I have a different opinion of the matter.... Also to clarify my kids on day of cruise will be twins 16 months and son 3 And again I'm discussing my twins...

Thank you for replying again. However, I do take exception to the fact that you seem to be calling your twins infants, and therefore feel justified in removing the gratuities. We have tried to explain to you that your children will be well taken care of, and that those staff and crew onboard will earn the tips which you are considering removing.

Having said all of this, I hope you enjoy your first RCI cruise. They have a great product and I know you will all have a fun family vacation. :)

Sorry to offend so many people. I and ang u have a good point about waiting till the end of cruise to decide

No offense taken and none intended either. Glad to hear you will be holding off on any decision until the end of the cruise. Enjoy!!!

Edited by Wilda

Tom

Not sure if this is right or not, but changing from "tips" to a "service fee" would put the crew on salary. Likely that could have HUGE tax implications. In the last year or so I began to notice that when I go to a restaurant with a large group and the tip is automatically applied, when I pay with a credit card, the tip is now broken out separately on the credit card receipt. Before it was just included in the final tally with a "tip" line available. Sometimes created a problem if you didn't notice on the bill that the tip had been applied, you could "double tip." I was curious for the reason that it is now shown as a "tip" on the credit card receipt. I was told that if the tip is not shown separately, then it became a "salary" and that created tax issues, i.e. social security, etc. So restaurants now show all tips separately.

This could likely be the reason that crews are "tipped" and not "salaried." Even luxury lines like Seaborne advertised "tips included."

Edited by papaflamingo

Not sure if this is right or not, but changing from "tips" to a "service fee" would put the crew on salary. Likely that could have HUGE tax implications. In the last year or so I began to notice that when I go to a restaurant with a large group and the tip is automatically applied, when I pay with a credit card, the tip is now broken out separately on the credit card receipt. Before it was just included in the final tally with a "tip" line available. Sometimes created a problem if you didn't notice on the bill that the tip had been applied, you could "double tip." I was curious for the reason that it is now shown as a "tip" on the credit card receipt. I was told that if the tip is not shown separately, then it became a "salary" and that created tax issues, i.e. social security, etc. So restaurants now show all tips separately.

This could likely be the reason that crews are "tipped" and not "salaried." Even luxury lines like Seaborne advertised "tips included."

There may be tax implications but not under our tax code. All ships are flagged under foreign ports. They are not subject to US Laws.

Ok I can't respond to all the people speculating my financial situation. Some people made ignorant statements and some almost valid. If some people feel there better than me because they believe tipping for an infant is the right thing to do. So be it. I don't follow the masses and unfortunately I have a different opinion of the matter. So does carnival cruise line also. Also to clarify my kids on day of cruise will be twins 16 months and son 3And again I'm discussing my twins. I'm trying to be polite by saying proudly that I don't believe the tips are warranted. If my twins make a mess of the room, I'm sure not going to expect the Stewart to clean it up. I'm sure my do not disturb will be on the door handle 24/7 all week. This way he:she will have an easier day at work. Sorry to offend so many people. I and ang u have a good point about waiting till the end of cruise to decide

As I'm sure you have figured out from having had one, two 16-month-olds can make one heck of a mess (and I'm guessing yours will be eating solids by then, so not only the cabin but also the dining room). "Do not disturb sign?" Do you have any idea what a small cabin with dirty diapers for two toddlers (yes, once they start walking, in my eyes they are toddlers, not infants) will smell like by the end of the cruise - ewwww. But, if you don't want clean bedding or towels or diaper removal at all throughout the cruise, I guess you can skip the portion of the gratuity for your STEWARD. How about food - will they not eat somewhere? Will someone not have to bring them food and clean up after them?

If you are happy with the way Carnival works it's tipping system, by all means sail with them.