Uneducated TA need to Deviate for our Rio to Barcelona Trip

hydro3

Hi there all it seems each time I go on a cruise I come here to ask some questions. My wife and I are goign to be travelling with my parents who like long layovers because of issues with my Dad's mobility.

We are flying from Boise to Rio for the Rio to Barcelona cruise in April. We are going to go a couple of days early and pay a deviation fee anyway so the TA was going to get us a flight from Boise to Houston then Rio, we were going to have a long layover in Houston which was great because we were going to get a room in the Airport hotel to swim and relax.

Now she is saying the only options for our flight is to go from Boise, to salt lake city with a 40 min layover and then SLC to Atlanta with an hour layover.

Sorry for the long complaint. But I guess my overall question is once paying a deviation fee can't our TA use more options such as the united flights going through Houston instead of just sticking with the Delta flight?

Thanks for any help.

Hi there all it seems each time I go on a cruise I come here to ask some questions. My wife and I are goign to be travelling with my parents who like long layovers because of issues with my Dad's mobility.

We are flying from Boise to Rio for the Rio to Barcelona cruise in April. We are going to go a couple of days early and pay a deviation fee anyway so the TA was going to get us a flight from Boise to Houston then Rio, we were going to have a long layover in Houston which was great because we were going to get a room in the Airport hotel to swim and relax.

Now she is saying the only options for our flight is to go from Boise, to salt lake city with a 40 min layover and then SLC to Atlanta with an hour layover.

Sorry for the long complaint. But I guess my overall question is once paying a deviation fee can't our TA use more options such as the united flights going through Houston instead of just sticking with the Delta flight?

Thanks for any help.

When you say "TA", I presume you mean a travel agent who does not work for Regent? If so, she does not pick your flights, the Regent Air department does this. And if you're deviating, you should be able to pick what you like, within reason--i.e., Regent doesn't have contracts with all airlines. If the routing doesn't suit you, you should have the freedom to turn down the proposal, don't pay the deviation fee, take the air credit and book your own flights.

I would hate to have a one-hour layover in Atlanta, that's much too short!

Sorry yes I meant Travel Agent.

We were originally looking at a United Flight with one stop and a long layover in Houston instead of several short hops on Delta.

The cost of both flights (calling and United and Delta) is virtually the same $2 difference. It seems that RSSC has an arrangement with United since they are flying us back from Europe on United. I am just trying to get the information for to tell my travel agent so she knows how to go about the booking. She apparently thought she had to wait to 75 days before the trip to make any travel arrangements even though we are paying a deviation fee.

Sorry yes I meant Travel Agent.

We were originally looking at a United Flight with one stop and a long layover in Houston instead of several short hops on Delta.

The cost of both flights (calling and United and Delta) is virtually the same $2 difference. It seems that RSSC has an arrangement with United since they are flying us back from Europe on United. I am just trying to get the information for to tell my travel agent so she knows how to go about the booking. She apparently thought she had to wait to 75 days before the trip to make any travel arrangements even though we are paying a deviation fee.

I had the same issue for a flight for April 2014...i wanted to use AC instead of AF and AC was even cheaper but I paid the deviation fee plus they charged me an additional 100 upcharge for the booking to guarantee AC

I had the same issue for a flight for April 2014...i wanted to use AC instead of AF and AC was even cheaper but I paid the deviation fee plus they charged me an additional 100 upcharge for the booking to guarantee AC

Unfortunately the fares we can look up to compare airlines are not the fares Regent pays as they have contracts with different airlines for special rates. I've always thought the best overall approach is to 1) figure out the flights you'd like and price them on-line, 2) get a quote from Regent for those or similarly acceptable flights (no doubt with a deviation fee and maybe/probably an upcharge), 3) book through Regent if it is comparable to what you can book on your own otherwise take the credit. Having said that, we have never ended up booking the air through Regent. Mostly it's because we have favorite routes, aircraft and seats which we'd like to have nailed down well in advance.

If you are paying the deviation fee, and possibly a surcharge, Regent can and will book your air 270 days out, so there is no reason not to book that now. Your TA can call Regent air dept and find out what flights they can offer and let you know those options and then you can choose the one that best suits you.

However, they may not have a contract with UA from South America, even though they use them to/from Europe and sometimes Asia, so keep that in mind. Again, your TA just needs to talk to the Regent Air dept, they will give her the options they can offer and then you can decide what to do. The TA should also mention the mobility problems for your Father, and that you need longer layover times if possible......again those contracts could be dictating some of this.

Good luck, hope it all works out, and have a wonderful cruise.

Most posters swear by their travel agent, and an accompanying rebate of some sort from their commission, but I have found that dealing with Regent directly, including flight deviations from the air department at Regent highly satisfactory. Admittedly I have a bias against middle people who can't have my knowledge of desires or the ability to make instantaneous decisions, without consulting with me.

Most posters swear by their travel agent, and an accompanying rebate of some sort from their commission, but I have found that dealing with Regent directly, including flight deviations from the air department at Regent highly satisfactory. Admittedly I have a bias against middle people who can't have my knowledge of desires or the ability to make instantaneous decisions, without consulting with me.

Most of us could easily book through Regent directly. It is easy enough to do. However, not everyone can brush aside the rebates and OBC's given by many TA's as the amounts are significant. Also, TA's insure that their customer knows what they need to know about their suite (for instance, what to look out for so that you are not in a suite that would be too noisy or rocky in heavy seas. There are many benefits to having a TA that is familiar with booking Regent.

In terms of this thread, perhaps if the OP tells his/her mom the amount of money the will save by booking with a different TA, she may change her mind. However, if you are stuck with the current situation, I suggest that you do your homework. Look at what is above and below the suite(s) you want to book. Remember that low and midship is the best location get a smooth "ride". Far forward can be noisy (depending upon the ship) and the ship rocks both forward and aft as well as side to side -- something to consider. Also, aft cabins on the Navigator and Voyager should be avoided unless you would not find the noise and vibration to be bothersome

In terms of deviation...... I am in favor of booking this as far in advance as possible. It sounds like you are aware of some of the airlines that Regent has contracts with which is a good start. We are on your cruise so we are more aware of flights on this cruise than on others. For instance, Rio is one of the most difficult ports to get to from the U.S. (from most ports). Also, although Regent will book United Airlines from Barcelona to the U.S., they will not use United to or from Rio (unless this has changed in the last month or so).

I suggest that you work out two flight itineraries that will work for you. Send an email to your TA with two choices for flights. For instance:

First Choice:

Depart ****, 10:00 a.m. April 1, 2015, xxxxx Airlines Flight #***

Arrive in *****, 3:00 p.m.

Depart *****, 5:00 p.m., xxxxx Airlines Flight #***

Arrive in Rio 8:00 a.m. April 2, 2015

Write down the flights times and dates for your return flights in the same format. Then go on to your Second Choice flights.

Giving your TA this amount of detail helps Regent Air know the times and dates that you are interested in. If they cannot meet your specific request, they may come back with choices that will be close to what you are looking for. As I mentioned, flights into and out of Rio are difficult so patience is definitely required.

Ask your TA to forward your choices to Regent. You can also call Regent Air directly. I find that writing down my choices gives us a good starting point. Keep in mind that once you deviate, you cannot change your mind without paying another deviation fee.

Good luck:-)

Everyone thank you for the great replies. Our problem is that we have given our TA the itineraries that we wanted with choices and she keeps coming back with things that are different.

Where would I find the number to call the Regent flight concierge directly?

This may help when I go over to talk with my TA.

Thank you again.

I figured it out :p I just called the regent number and asked for the air concierge desk.

Very helpful and are able to accommodate our requests and are relaying it to the TA.

Apparently they now have a contract with UAL for economy tickets to South America.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Good to learn that flights into and out of South America are contracted with United. We wanted United but were flying business class and were told that there wasn't a contract. For that reason, we're flying Delta to Rio and British Airways back to the U.S.

TA's are only permitted to advertise a 5% rebate although some posters indicate that they receive more. OBC's differ. We always pay for Regent (Oceania and Silversea) cruises with our Amex "branded" platinum card. This gives us $300 OBC on Regent. Sometimes we do not receive any OBC's from our TA and other times we may receive $300 - $500. This time we will have the $300 Amex OBC as well as a $500 OBC from our TA (in addition to the rebate).

what is conventional wisdom on what to expect in onboard credits or other consideration from a TA booking a regent cruise?

A 10% rebate of the commissionable amount of the fare is readily available available from several excellent TA's. I do most of the work and that may help a bit but, they say they will do whatever is necessary if I don't want to do my own legwork. Also depending on the cruise, their consortium supports cruises with special events, excursions, and OBC's.

Personally, with Regent OBC's are mostly not needed since it is mostly inclusive and not much to buy on board. In any case, would rather get a rebate and then decide where to spend the money rather than find out some or all of the OBC is non-refundable. Simply ask your fellow cruisers if they can recommend a TA that is great and also refunds part of your fare.

HOpe this helps and have a great cruise.