Open Dinning

propwash

I wonder what else is disrupted?

That is an excellent question.

Even if I wanted open seating, and wanted dinner before 6:30, I would still be wondering if I wanted to be on this cruise, under these circumstances.

I'd be talking to someone up the "food chain" ha ha

We're on a 31 day cruise in April and are wait listed for main(8pm), but currently have open

I don't want to eat at 6:30 or in the lido

It IS bs

I hope you can get it resolved

Helaine

You have to hope this is an isolated incident.

I knew it had to be a very size able group to take at least one level of the MDR for an entire seating (and possibly both levels). I've never heard of this before. I googled and there is a continuing education convention of primary care doctors on your ship, so that must be your group. You will be offered OBC, but what good is it if your cruise is going to be disrupted and obviously it will be with a huge group like this. Chances are the dining room is just the beginning. So sorry for you. :(

So much for As You Wish Dining. The OPs situation is sad for various reasons ... HAL just now, 11 days before sailing, realized they needed to accommodate a large group at 8PM dining? Exceptionally poor planning on HALs part. Their only solution for open dining beyond a limited early window is for people to eat elsewhere, and pay for the privilege if not going to the Lido? You'd think, under the circumstances, HAL would adjust the Lido hours to be open later and/or waive the Pinnacle and Canaletto surcharges. HALs handling of this is poor and unacceptable ... and likely is only the tip of the iceberg of the total disruption to the non-group passengers. Wonder how often the pools, theaters, etc wil be closed to the great unwashed to accommodate events for this group.

I don't agree with peaches from georgia that people will get OBC for the inconvenience ... HAL has no obligation to do so and likely figures they are offering reasonable alternatives and, frankly, they likely think their solution is just fine.

I feel so sad for the OP and all non-group people on board.

Edited by pms4104

Does anyone have contacts for us to complain to?

THANKS

Danny

if do the office of the president approach, you won't get a reply until you are back and that is too late. I know some people here have phone numbers in Seattle. I'm hoping they see this and will ask.

In the meantime, I would go back to my PCC (phone, I think, not email) and tell him/her this is not a viable solution and you want him/her to go to a supervisor and do SOMETHING. Or he/she should put you through to someone who can do something. Perhaps reservations in the Pinnacle free of charge? Tell him/her that you should be able to cancel without penalty since HAL is not keeping their end of the bargain. This is NOT what they advertise and it's not right IMO.

I'm not saying you should cancel - but with this large of a group, I would be tempted. I don't know how it will affect you, but if it is so large a group to affect dining, as others have said, how will it affect the rest of the cruise?

So much for As You Wish Dining. The OPs situation is sad for various reasons ... HAL just now, 11 days before sailing, realized they needed to accommodate a large group at 8PM dining? Exceptionally poor planning on HALs part. Their only solution for open dining beyond a limited early window is for people to eat elsewhere, and pay for the privilege if not going to the Lido? You'd think, under the circumstances, HAL would adjust the Lido hours to be open later and/or waive the Pinnacle and Canaletto surcharges. HALs handling of this is poor and unacceptable ... and likely is only the tip of the iceberg of the total disruption to the non-group passengers. Wonder how often the pools, theaters, etc wil be closed to the great unwashed to accommodate events for this group.

I feel so sad for the OP and all non-group people on board.

Exactly!

Pinnacle free of charge every night is one solution, but it fills up so quickly it never could accommodate all the regular pax whose dining plans are affected by this group. Extending Lido hours is a no-brainer, but no one should be forced to eat there every night. HAL created this mess and waited till the last minute to inform their pax. Cancelling with no financial penalties (including non-refundable plane tickets) would be what we would ask for. You probably will be offered OBC to cover eating in the Pinnacle and then won't be able to get reservations.

Another dining option HAL failed to mention: room service ordered from the main dining room menu. Imagine if all the non-group passengers resorted to that ... and requested delivery at the same time, say 7:45.

Really, HAL needs to step up and make this right. But I'm guessing large groups keep the ships afloat more than their individual passengers. Since HAL so often had to fire sale off their cabins, maybe their new niche should be large groups and chartets only

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Forums mobile app

If the group is that large, surely HAL should inform the organiser(s) that it will need to be split 50:50 between the two fixed time evening seatings in the MDR.

You expect HAL to use common sense? Serious,.....

The group probably has activities going on until the main dining time, therefore my concern about other public room and usage for the non group passengers.

Here's the reply from my HAL PCC;

I am sorry Danny this is the 1st I am hearing and yes as I just called the ship services department they are saying a huge group is taking up the entirety of the restaurant, you can make reservations when you get on the ship for 6:30 with the concierge but that is the latest for the restaurant area. I have never seen this happen, very sorry Danny!

WHAT BS!!!!! I paid full list price on 2 Neptune Suites and this is what I get?

I'm REALLY peeved.

Danny

if do the office of the president approach, you won't get a reply until you are back and that is too late. I know some people here have phone numbers in Seattle. I'm hoping they see this and will ask.

In the meantime, I would go back to my PCC (phone, I think, not email) and tell him/her this is not a viable solution and you want him/her to go to a supervisor and do SOMETHING. Or he/she should put you through to someone who can do something. Perhaps reservations in the Pinnacle free of charge? Tell him/her that you should be able to cancel without penalty since HAL is not keeping their end of the bargain. This is NOT what they advertise and it's not right IMO.

I'm not saying you should cancel - but with this large of a group, I would be tempted. I don't know how it will affect you, but if it is so large a group to affect dining, as others have said, how will it affect the rest of the cruise?

Exactly!

I agree with Kazu... You paid full fare for two Neptune Suites & now less than two weeks before departure you are told no open seating after 6:30.. I too would be quite peeved!

Suggest you call (forget e-mail for now) your PCC & request that they give you free dining in Pinnacle with confirmed 7:30 reservations & a Good OBC to make up for this debacle..

IMO HAL should have told the group organizer right in the beginning that they had to accommodate full fare Psgrs. & their group dining times had to be split!

Realize you can't cancel now, but HAL should do something to accommodate you..

Propwash, I hope HAL does something to make dining arrangements that are acceptable for you. IMHO there is no excuse for HAL to treat you (and others on this sailing) like this. As another poster suggested, if it is a result of a large group, the group should have been told they had "x" seats at early, and "x" seats at late, and they could have then arranged their programs to accommodate the dining timeS.

If the group is that large, surely HAL should inform the organiser(s) that it will need to be split 50:50 between the two fixed time evening seatings in the MDR.

I am guessing that it depends upon when the group made the booking. It may have been that the group did not book until after all fixed dining options had been exhausted.

I can understand that it is disappointing that a passenger is unable to select a preferred dining time. I do not think though that this requires free dining in a specialty restaurant as compensation. It is not as though the passenger has been denied MDR dining all together, just at a specific time.

HAL could have done nothing, knowing that the large group was going to show up at 8:00 each evening, essentially denying access to any other passenger. Once the dining room is full, it's full. HAL chose not to do this and instead chose to communicate with the affected passenger to allow that passenger to make other choices.

Passengers traveling on a cruise ship should accept that there needs be some flexibility with dining options. Those who prefer fixed dining often find it is unavailable and must avail of open dining. Sometimes reservations in open dining help solve the problem, but sometimes it does not. Many passengers who must avail of open dining often find themselves showing up at the MDR and having to wait. It is unfortunate, yet it does happen. And while I have never heard of a passenger being denied entry due to peak capacity, this example shows that it can sometimes happen.

I am guessing that it depends upon when the group made the booking. It may have been that the group did not book until after all fixed dining options had been exhausted.

I can understand that it is disappointing that a passenger is unable to select a preferred dining time. I do not think though that this requires free dining in a specialty restaurant as compensation. It is not as though the passenger has been denied MDR dining all together, just at a specific time.

HAL could have done nothing, knowing that the large group was going to show up at 8:00 each evening, essentially denying access to any other passenger. Once the dining room is full, it's full. HAL chose not to do this and instead chose to communicate with the affected passenger to allow that passenger to make other choices.

Passengers traveling on a cruise ship should accept that there needs be some flexibility with dining options. Those who prefer fixed dining often find it is unavailable and must avail of open dining. Sometimes reservations in open dining help solve the problem, but sometimes it does not. Many passengers who must avail of open dining often find themselves showing up at the MDR and having to wait. It is unfortunate, yet it does happen. And while I have never heard of a passenger being denied entry due to peak capacity, this example shows that it can sometimes happen.

Yes, but neptune pax have priority dining and seating requests. This is not happening. If a person never goes to the MDR this likely isn't a big deal. But for those that enjoy it it's quite another.

Yes, but neptune pax have priority dining and seating requests. This is not happening. If a person never goes to the MDR this likely isn't a big deal. But for those that enjoy it it's quite another.

We weren't able to get our dining time choice on the last cruise we were on, despite being in a Neptune. There were no large groups, there just wasn't space available for us.

We weren't able to get our dining time choice on the last cruise we were on, despite being in a Neptune. There were no large groups, there just wasn't space available for us.

I would have taken them to task on that, especially if you paid the asking price and it was not an upsell.

But doesn't this mean Neptune Suite pax requests have priority over any other passenger request? And if the seating is not available, then no one gets their request. I wouldn't think HAL would bump someone who already had a table assigned in preference to a suite passenger or am I wrong?

But doesn't this mean Neptune Suite pax requests have priority over any other passenger request? And if the seating is not available, then no one gets their request. I wouldn't think HAL would bump someone who already had a table assigned in preference to a suite passenger or am I wrong?

That is my understanding also. A request is simply that - a request. It is not an entitlement that you are to have your dining time at the expense of everyone else. It makes no difference whether you are in a Neptune Suite or Ocean View, and it certainly doesn't make any difference whether you paid the brochure price or not, if seating is not available, it's not available. During one of our Neptune stays we also could not get our preferred time and on another we couldn't get a 2 - top. It would never occur to me to make a fuss about it.

That is my understanding also. A request is simply that - a request. It is not an entitlement that you are to have your dining time at the expense of everyone else. It makes no difference whether you are in a Neptune Suite or Ocean View, and it certainly doesn't make any difference whether you paid the brochure price or not, if seating is not available, it's not available. During one of our Neptune stays we also could not get our preferred time and on another we couldn't get a 2 - top. It would never occur to me to make a fuss about it.

I believe they hold a certain amount of dining aside foe neptune and ph suites. A said nothing about anyone honoured anything at the price of someone else. Why does hal bother to put this on the website if it means nothing? To me it does matter if it was an upsell. Believe it or not, I think that people that paid the rack rate should get priority over someone that got a $199 upsell or a practically free cruise as I saw on one thread.

I believe they hold a certain amount of dining aside foe neptune and ph suites. A said nothing about anyone honoured anything at the price of someone else. Why does hal bother to put this on the website if it means nothing? To me it does matter if it was an upsell. Believe it or not, I think that people that paid the rack rate should get priority over someone that got a $199 upsell or a practically free cruise as I saw on one thread.

well.....theoretically everyone has a request and theoretically Neptune Suires are supposed to have preferred dining.

I agree with that those that pay rack rate should come first.

But, if the OP is being forced to eat by 6:30 pm, it is all moot.

and ridiculous. Maybe a Harry Potter wand would work and if we waved it and said ridiculous, it would all go away:rolleyes: that would really be nice;)

well.....theoretically everyone has a request and theoretically Neptune Suires are supposed to have preferred dining.

I agree with that those that pay rack rate should come first.

But, if the OP is being forced to eat by 6:30 pm, it is all moot.

and ridiculous. Maybe a Harry Potter wand would work and if we waved it and said ridiculous, it would all go away:rolleyes: that would really be nice;)

Yes, I understand the problem. My comment is to do with priority requests and that hal should honour them. I understand that people make a lot of requests including table numbers.

Here's the reply from my HAL PCC;

I am sorry Danny this is the 1st I am hearing and yes as I just called the ship services department they are saying a huge group is taking up the entirety of the restaurant, you can make reservations when you get on the ship for 6:30 with the concierge but that is the latest for the restaurant area. I have never seen this happen, very sorry Danny!

WHAT BS!!!!! I paid full list price on 2 Neptune Suites and this is what I get?

I'm REALLY peeved.

Danny

Thats what I figured it would be - a large group is on your cruise I bet and they are wanting to dine together.

DaveOKC

Does anyone have contacts for us to complain to?

THANKS

Danny

Here's my list:

HAL Contacts:

Orlando Ashford’s Office. 1-206-626-7393

Michael J. Smith

Senior Vice President, Marine Hotel Operations 1-206-281-3535.

Guest Relations

E-mail: GuestRelations@HollandAmerica.com

Phone: 1-800-599-8256

Fax: 1-206-301-5327

Inquiries, compliments and complaints on current or past sailings.

Ombudsman

E-mail: Ombudsman@HollandAmerica.com

Inquiries and issues that have not been resolved through normal channels.

I'd also post on Facebook - that seems to get HAL's attention.