Emerald Princess to Join Australian Fleet

LauraS

To me the headline "Emerald Princess to join Australian Fleet" implies that the ship is being permanently transferred to Princess Australia alongside Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess.

Yet the article mentions nothing beyond down-under-Summer 2016/17.

Does anyone really know if this is a long term move or not? Or just a one-off as Golden Princess is doing for 2015/16--Australian summer then retuning to Alaska for US summer 2016??

To me the headline "Emerald Princess to join Australian Fleet" implies that the ship is being permanently transferred to Princess Australia alongside Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess.
From the headline, that's what I assume is the case, i.e., the Emerald is being redeployed permanently to Princess Australia and won't reposition back to the U.S.

:) Pam

Yet the article mentions nothing beyond down-under-Summer 2016/17.

Does anyone really know if this is a long term move or not? Or just a one-off as Golden Princess is doing for 2015/16--Australian summer then retuning to Alaska for US summer 2016??

Of course there is nothing after 16/17, not a good move to commit to something that may change that far ahead, markets change, there is no way to know that far ahead.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This is so upsetting. Emerald is our favorite ship of all. We are thankful we will be able to cruise on her February 2016 one last time.

Are we alone that we love the Emerald and the grand glass ships? Why is Princess doing this and making the new ships like Regal and Royal? We love the aft suites with covering...I have had skin cancer and can't be in the sun so much. We love the shaded area and the privacy.

We just wonder why Princess is not listening? We have been very loyal to Princess for years. We have all the benefits with RCCL because we used to cruise with them...maybe time to revisit.

What a sad day.

Follow...the...money. Always follow the money. If they think Emerald can make more money there, there she goes. In case that isn't clear, they don't care what someones favorite ship is. No line does.

But there's probably another factor in play as well. From what I have heard, absent some teething pains, the Diamond is doing ok with her Asian style revamp. If they choose to do another remake in that style, the Emerald is a similar base plan, allowing them to utilize the same designs and move to a market already familiar with the gem.asia class.

This is so upsetting. Emerald is our favorite ship of all. We are thankful we will be able to cruise on her February 2016 one last time.

Are we alone that we love the Emerald and the grand glass ships? Why is Princess doing this and making the new ships like Regal and Royal? We love the aft suites with covering...I have had skin cancer and can't be in the sun so much. We love the shaded area and the privacy.

We just wonder why Princess is not listening? We have been very loyal to Princess for years. We have all the benefits with RCCL because we used to cruise with them...maybe time to revisit.

What a sad day.

Follow...the...money. Always follow the money. If they think Emerald can make more money there, there she goes. In case that isn't clear, they don't care what someones favorite ship is. No line does.

But there's probably another factor in play as well. From what I have heard, absent some teething pains, the Diamond is doing ok with her Asian style revamp. If they choose to do another remake in that style, the Emerald is a similar base plan, allowing them to utilize the same designs and move to a market already familiar with the gem.asia class.

Why not send Regal or Royal? I just don't understand why when so many people like the grand class ships that they are placing them other areas and not making what the customers want.

Of course, their stock keeps climbing. Maybe they know something we don't.

Princess has been listening. To the Australian market who for years have had to put up with older ships and hand-me-downs. It about time we got some of better Princess ships.

I think the Regal and the Royal might be too big for some of the ports down here.

As Pam says, its about following the money. And Princess probably think they can get better yields downunder without having to slash fares too much.

Of course there is nothing after 16/17, not a good move to commit to something that may change that far ahead, markets change, there is no way to know that far ahead.

Celebrity Itineraries are out through Spring 2017

Sucks that NA loses Emerald but they need something decent down there. Sun class are old

Edited by Cruise Junky

Yup. Always follow the money.

Keep in mind that by 2017, Princess will have another Royal/Regal-sized ship launched so it makes sense that they would reposition one of the Grand-class ships elsewhere.

So, we're losing/have lost Sea, Sun, Dawn, Sapphire, Diamond, and now Emerald. Plus the departure of Ocean and, probably, Pacific. That's nearly half the fleet gone and, worse, seven of the nine least crowded ships. Leaving us with the biggest losers (the R twins and the new-and-improved Island). Why can't they at least send us back the Dawn??

So, we're losing/have lost Sea, Sun, Dawn, Sapphire, Diamond, and now Emerald. Plus the departure of Ocean and, probably, Pacific. That's nearly half the fleet gone and, worse, seven of the nine least crowded ships. Leaving us with the biggest losers (the R twins and the new-and-improved Island). Why can't they at least send us back the Dawn??

I totally agree. Glad we booked an extra week on the Emerald so we'll be 34 days in 2016, that may be our last cruise with Princess, as we don't care to go on the Royal or Regal...not interested in the least.

When they send the last of the Grand class I will be moving to Regent. There are other lines with small to medium sized ships.;)

Every year I say that I am going to try them and come really close. That will be the impetus for my change.

Mike

To all the detractors out there: You do know that the Crown and Ruby are EXACT carbon copies of the Emerald, right???

As long as the whole fleet doesn't look like the Royal/Regal, I'll find a cruise to take with Princess.

To all the detractors out there: You do know that the Crown and Ruby are EXACT carbon copies of the Emerald, right???

As long as the whole fleet doesn't look like the Royal/Regal, I'll find a cruise to take with Princess.

But you won't find one in the Caribbean with Crown and Ruby on the west coast and Emerald in Oz during the season. Nor in Europe beyond Island presumably continuing the cruises that call on Venice: the Royal/Regal/unnamed triplet will have cornered those markets as well.

Interesting, as I recently booked a 21 day cruise in the Mediterranean on Emerald Princess for June. Nice to hear she will be out here in Australia for a season or two. Permanent? hmmm

Guess us aussies love cruising enough that Carnival CCL think it worth it to send out another 'new' ship (Carnival's Spirit and Legend must be doing ok).

Of course, she is not 'lost' out here in Australia. You can still go on her. Somewhere different to cruise! Koalas are cuddly you know.

P.S. Article says visiting here for the (southern hemisphere's) summer. So not full time, just seasonal.

Edited by fnqboatie
P.S.

What I find humorous is that the people who just simply love the Regal & Royal are getting upset about losing the Emerald. :D

Could it be that the new ships aren't all that great a design to begin with ? :rolleyes:

I know as far as I'm concerned the new designs are nice but still don't come close to what the older ships offer.

What I find humorous is that the people who just simply love the Regal & Royal are getting upset about losing the Emerald. :D

Could it be that the new ships aren't all that great a design to begin with ? :rolleyes:

I know as far as I'm concerned the new designs are nice but still don't come close to what the older ships offer.

You can take me out of that equation.;)

Now you are talking.:cool:

The Emerald is a lovely ship and we have many cruises on her. Just because we love the Royal and Regal, doesn't mean we won't sail on other Princess ships and enjoy them. We have never disliked any of the Princess ships we have been on.

I wish the people "down under", many happy cruises on the Emerald. Perhaps we will revisit your part of the world when it crosses.:D

Edited by Mom33