LittleMissMagic's ~INDEPENDENCE~ Christmas Cruise **Photo Review**

I was incredibly disappointed that there was not a ship horn battle, especially with the Disney Fantasy in port!

These captains have to know that plenty of us enjoy, and look forward to, horn battles. It is very disappointing when it doesn't happen.

Love & Marriage

Note: If you have never seen Love & Marriage before, this post contains SPOILERS (you don't want to spoil your first time because that's probably the funniest it will ever be).

I was excited for the Love & Marriage Game Show. It was the first show that actually interested me. Getting pretty sick of the "Ooohy, oohy, let's get groovy baby!" and "Tarzan, Tarzan, where is my Tarzan?" audition lines. I've been watching this show for maybe ten years (yeah, as a kid I found that they play it on the stateroom televisions... beware, parents of corruptible children), and they always use the same audition pieces! Can they not get anymore creative?

The audience members have certainly gotten raunchier, though. I noticed that though we were voting by applause, two times when it was close, the Activities Director, Alison, chose to go ahead and eliminate the overly intoxicated and affectionate couples. So if you want to play the game, I would suggest keeping it PG-13 in the auditions because they tend to not want unpredictable, R-rated people on the stage.

The cruise director, Jamie Fentiman, is a bit long-winded for my taste. Everything he did, he would drag out to last forever. From the morning show, to Love & Marriage and Quest, Jamie really liked to hear himself talk. Sure, he had some funny lines, but sometimes less is more. Stop when you're ahead.

16003361218_fbf4835f63_b.jpg

Love & Marriage by vshingl, on Flickr

The show lasted nearly two hours! Ridiculous! We were so exhausted afterwards that we went straight to bed.

15571002683_015f50b67c_b.jpg

Towel Animal by vshingl, on Flickr

Our very first cruise w/ Royal, we tried out for the L&M show. We never heard of it before but thought it would be fun & we wanted to embarrass our adult kids Son & his wife, and the daughter) that were with us. It didn't disappoint & neither did we. We were selected via the Tarzan audition as you mentioned. They gave us the CD and neither of us wish to re-live it again. Sometimes what goes on the ship, stays on the ship. But it was indeed a fun time. :D Our table mates and our kids all sat together and they able to snap some great shots of the kid's faces at our answers. Good times I tell you, good times! BTW, we placed 2nd. Missed first by I think 10 pts.

Love & Marriage

The audience members have certainly gotten raunchier, though. I noticed that though we were voting by applause, two times when it was close, the Activities Director, Alison, chose to go ahead and eliminate the overly intoxicated and affectionate couples. So if you want to play the game, I would suggest keeping it PG-13 in the auditions because they tend to not want unpredictable, R-rated people on the stage.

This might be a point with some validity, but may also vary with the cruise director. We made it on the show by having an R rated audition, but your point of making new auditions, and questions is 100% right IMO.

We were selected via the Tarzan audition as you mentioned. They gave us the CD and neither of us wish to re-live it again. .

Same audition for us, I need to find that DVD and watch it, its been 3 years now.

gameshow.jpg

Edited by BillOh

[ATTACH]336901[/ATTACH]

Not sure if I uploaded the image correctly, but this is a pic of Mullet bay from our last cruise there. We also walked over to Maho later to watch the planes but really enjoyed our quiet time at Mullet bay.

Nice photo!! I am excited to see the planes, then enjoy some quieter time at Mullet. I see you have kids the same ages as mine will be by the time we cruise, so I think I've got an inexpensive plan for my day in St Maartan.

Romeo & Juliet Dining Room

So we basically ate Johnny Rockets, then went and got ready to eat dinner. That meant we weren't hungry at dinner.

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one here with a dirty mind...

16004749489_5bb40dff72_b.jpg

Menu by vshingl, on Flickr

The unfortunate thing is that on the night that I was perhaps the least hungry, they served the best dish ever - Singapore Noodles. Seriously, it was my favorite entree all week, and the first time I was actually impressed by the food.

15568425294_eb76a2d240_b.jpg

Singapore Noodles by vshingl, on Flickr

For dessert, Cappuccino Layer Cake.

16190818455_4c1529f27a_b.jpg

Cappuccino Layer Cake by vshingl, on Flickr

One should not make fun of Scotland's National Soup.

Great review. We will be on her in 8 weeks.

Nice photo!! I am excited to see the planes, then enjoy some quieter time at Mullet. I see you have kids the same ages as mine will be by the time we cruise, so I think I've got an inexpensive plan for my day in St Maartan.

We actually didn't have the boys that trip, but plan to take them in March when we are there. Excited to let them watch the planes. We are doing indepence for our next cruise too.

My wife and I did the L and M Game for our 10th anniversary on the Radiance. There were no newlyweds that wanted to participate, so we were the youngest with 10 years, then came a 25 anniv, and finally a 40yr anniv. couple. Alas, we finished last, but being Xmas time, Gordon (the CD) gave all couples all the prizes which included a $50 gift card to one of the specialty restaurants. One drawback about being on the show is that, since the show is rebroadcast, the next day; everyone recognized us and we became minor celebs for the rest of the cruise. Keep the reviews and pics coming!

DH and I were on the L&M Game on our honeymoon on the Grandeur in 2009 (came in 2nd place, as I recall - we'll have to watch our DVD to relive the memories!) But we actually loved becoming minor celebrities for the rest of the cruise! It was fun having random people strike up a conversation with us. It also gave a chance to get to know the cruise staff a little bit, and we chatted with them every time we saw them for the rest of the cruise. It's definitely one of our favorite cruise memories!

I don't remember really having to do anything to "audition." They asked who was a newly married couple, and there was another couple and us who were on our honeymoon, and they asked what our wedding dates were, and we were married the day after them, so we were technically more "newly"-wed. (A funny side-note is that they were staying at the same Bed & Breakfast as us on our wedding night! We saw them there in the morning, during breakfast, and then a few days later on the ship!)

Edited by theatrebabe

[Day 5] St. Kitts

On Christmas Eve we awoke in beautiful St. Kitts.

16303814781_a5941faa6b_b.jpg

St. Kitts by vshingl, on Flickr

Rachel and I had ordered breakfast to be delivered to the room the night before. While Royal Caribbean offers a full breakfast menu for room service (unlike Princess Cruises which only delivers pre-made sandwiches), it should be noted that the eggs which are tasteless in the Windjammer are even less edible when delivered.

Here is photographic proof:

16118053358_a0ac4e79ce_b.jpg

Room Service Breakfast by vshingl, on Flickr

We were joined in St. Kitts by Ocean Princess.

16118053128_d15ce8228c_b.jpg

Ocean Princess by vshingl, on Flickr

Ocean Princess looks like a baby next to Independence of the Seas.

16304740812_312a7d5b44_b.jpg

Cruise Ships by vshingl, on Flickr

St. Kitts

Welcome to St. Kitts... we're watching you!

16279666006_2a57315bb8_b.jpg

No advance plans. We just wanted a beach, and there were plenty of options. The port security guard referred us to Talbot who was driving a bus to the beach, $12 round-trip. Because we were the first in his bus, we had to wait fifteen minutes or so for him to find more passengers. That was slightly annoying.

16303812741_6d152e244b_b.jpg

15685720473_ac8f53cf78_b.jpg

16118230090_735bb2839f_b.jpg

16118228070_01b1ef1184_b.jpg

16119745537_d34eb2d3b4_b.jpg

16119445099_4abc5c56b1_b.jpg

16305595765_bd2820b822_b.jpg

16304736192_215f279742_b.jpg

The ride to the beach was about half an hour. The cab drivers here like to sell you a round-trip. If they take you there, they want to come and take you back. So Talbot asked us when we'd like to be picked up. The other family responded 2:00, but my dad spoke up and said that we were thinking 3:00. Talbot suggested we meet in the middle at 2:30... fair enough.

Then we get to the beach and Talbot asked us if we wanted to pay $12 per person now or when we get picked up. Like most people cautious about paying for a service before it is received, we said we'd pay when he took us back.

Well, the other family wasn't having it. They wanted to pay him $6 now, $6 later. Obviously, they were preparing to potentially flake out and catch a ride back with a different driver. And Talbot really didn't want that.

If you find yourself in a similar predicament, my suggestion is don't be sketchy. Don't beat around the bush. You know what you want, so be upfront but polite about it. The driver wants your service and will most likely do his best to accommodate you.

Cockelshell Beach

As soon as we arrived and got settled with chairs, it began to rain. Luckily, the shower didn't last too long.

The beach isn't the biggest, and the chairs aren't the nicest, but the locals are friendly, and the surrounding landscapes are wonderful.

15683173974_d04a756db7_b.jpg

Cockelshell Beach by vshingl, on Flickr

15685716283_b3341564ab_b.jpg

16119708157_6ac36d77b4_b.jpg

16303807791_856a3533bd_b.jpg

15685715233_faceb37f49_b.jpg

15685712263_a4711993de_b.jpg

16118221850_e804145931_b.jpg

15683168594_3037c4e775_b.jpg

16119738987_df1bb67d1a_b.jpg

This is one of my favorite photographs from the afternoon. Hey, Nissan, this would make a wonderful advertisement -

16305589255_7f82447ed6_b.jpg

Sure enough, the family we shared a cab over with had already left. Our driver had taken them back a few hours earlier. We shared a van back with an even stranger family dynamic... the type of family that is definitely in some sort of argument right now, but most likely doesn't enjoy one another's company, anyway. Talk about an uncomfortable ride.

16118035118_b976b3342c_b.jpg

16305583145_f56f79ccbc_b.jpg

16279649356_9536c48729_b.jpg

Cockleshell Beach by vshingl, on Flickr

16279648356_ee1e89178f_b.jpg

St Kitts looks really beautiful! I can't wait to get there!

Note to self - DO NOT order eggs from room service! Those "eggs" did not look appetizing at all!

I loved the picture of the ship taken from between the 2 buildings. It looked like the ship was about to sail right down the walkway!

How did you like Cockleshell Beach? How deep did the water get as you went out from shore? Were the kayaks and wave runners I saw in your pics available for rent? Would you go back there?

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this review. It is very helpful to me in planning for our turn on the Indy

DID you get to see the Capuchin Monkeys and Iguanas at the beach? When we were there 2 years ago, they were right across the road from the beach. I remember seeing all the college pennants at the bar, also. U R correct about the eggs in the WJ. I will only order them in the MDR

I am a huge fan of Carib Lager. It's a fabulous beer. I go to a specialty beer store just to get it here. The lack of Caribbean makes it a little less refreshing. Haha!

In fact the first time I had a Carib was in St. Maarten, where I ordered a Heineken and the beach assistant suggested I try Carib instead. A life changing event! LOL

Really enjoying your awesome review and pictures.

I went to the beach with my friends this weekend and started wishing I had a Carib beer. Unfortunately, the liquor store we went to didn't have many tropical selections. I'm sure there is a place to get Carib in LA... there has to be!

Was the Singapore noodles listed as a starter or Main Course? I couldn't tell from the menu shot

The Singapore Noodles were listed as a main course.

These captains have to know that plenty of us enjoy, and look forward to, horn battles. It is very disappointing when it doesn't happen.

I know! This is the second time I've been with Disney Fantasy that it hasn't gotten in a horn battle leaving port. Why??? Fantasy's horns are awesome! Maybe they've gotten in trouble for excessive honking.