Royal Princess - Q about 5 in cabin

carmel

I've only sailed once on Princess and at that time, we were a family of 4. Now, we are a family of 5. I'm really interested in a sailing on the Royal Princess but from what I can tell, I can only book two adjoining cabins for a party of 5. Is that correct? Also, this is a shot in the dark, but is there any 'discount' or special pricing for booking a family of 5 that way? Kind of like a family rate? Just thought I would ask. The cruise is dreamy but if we have to do 2 cabins, I don't think we could swing it with a port we would have to fly to. :(:(:(:(:(

THANKS!

I've only sailed once on Princess and at that time, we were a family of 4. Now, we are a family of 5. I'm really interested in a sailing on the Royal Princess but from what I can tell, I can only book two adjoining cabins for a party of 5. Is that correct? Also, this is a shot in the dark, but is there any 'discount' or special pricing for booking a family of 5 that way? Kind of like a family rate? Just thought I would ask. The cruise is dreamy but if we have to do 2 cabins, I don't think we could swing it with a port we would have to fly to. :(:(:(:(:(

THANKS!

Other then 2 family suites (hold up to 8) on the Grand Class ships there are no cabins that hold more then 4 passengers on Princess.

The Royal and the Regal do have a few connecting cabins with interior doors.

The only other option would be booking 2 balcony cabins next door and having the partition open between balconies.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Every passenger requires a berth, regardless of age or where they will actually sleep, so yes a family of 5 usually will have to book two cabins. I'm sorry, but the only discount afforded a family of 5 is that one of the passengers will be booked as a third person in their cabin at a (usually) reduced rate. Everyone else pays the full 1st/2nd person fare.

I know it is not economically easy, especially when you may be accustomed to family discounts in motels or restaurants, but that is standard policy on most cruiselines.

I agree, it is very difficult for larger families to cruise because of these issues. The only cruise lines I know of (there may be more, others feel free to chime in) that offer 'regular' cabins that hold 5 people are the concierge class cabins on the older Celebrity ships (used to be called 'Category 3 cabins') and the 'deluxe family' cabins on the newer Disney ships, which are also designed to sleep 5.

I know it doesn't help much, but if your kids are a little older you could go for a balcony for yourself and your spouse and the 3 year old, with the other 2 across the hall in an inside cabin. That would help take some of the sting out of the increased cost.

Oh, I just recalled! This may be out of your budget, but we sailed in the Owner's Suite on the Sapphire last January (as part of the 'free cruise' promotion). The suite came with a big bed and a pull-out couch which slept 2. But since my kids are a bit older, the steward offered to (and did) bring in a rollaway bed. The suite was big enough to hold the rollaway (unlike most cabins). So technically we could have slept 5, since we could have had another child in the pullout bed. I'm not sure if Princess will book it for you this way, though.

Actually, the cabins for five on Celebrity are the Family Verandah cabins. They are especially nice on the M class ships. Carnival Dream class has OV cabins designed for 5, but their older ships, launched 2000 or before, will put a rollaway into a quad cabin. It is very cozy. EM

I agree, it is very difficult for larger families to cruise because of these issues. The only cruise lines I know of (there may be more, others feel free to chime in) that offer 'regular' cabins that hold 5 people are the concierge class cabins on the older Celebrity ships (used to be called 'Category 3 cabins') and the 'deluxe family' cabins on the newer Disney ships, which are also designed to sleep 5.

I know it doesn't help much, but if your kids are a little older you could go for a balcony for yourself and your spouse and the 3 year old, with the other 2 across the hall in an inside cabin. That would help take some of the sting out of the increased cost.

Oh, I just recalled! This may be out of your budget, but we sailed in the Owner's Suite on the Sapphire last January (as part of the 'free cruise' promotion). The suite came with a big bed and a pull-out couch which slept 2. But since my kids are a bit older, the steward offered to (and did) bring in a rollaway bed. The suite was big enough to hold the rollaway (unlike most cabins). So technically we could have slept 5, since we could have had another child in the pullout bed. I'm not sure if Princess will book it for you this way, though.

They will not book 5 in that room.