Is it Just me or is the Suite life not to Suite now!

I guess "the grass is always greener.." Because there are just as many folks on the CELEBRITY and NCL boards complaining about how the suite experience has gone downhill. We've never had a complaint about any of the suites we've stayed in on any ship. I don't know if this is luck, or gratitude that we are even able to afford to cruise, let alone, in a suite. We have found the experience to be about equal. Sure, Celebrity and NCL have butlers... Princess and RCCL don't. Princess has free laundry.. RCCL. and NCL don't. And so on. This doesn't make them better or worse to us...just different. I'm not going to blame RCCL for not being NCL, if I want the experience and amenities they offer..I'll cruise with them.

I have to disagree with you on the suite experience on Explorer of the Seas. We had the Royal Suite for a two week cruise this November. We did not get the service from the concierge that I expected. He told us he was very busy with Pinnacle members. We paid a lot of money for this cruise and didn't get a third of the service that we get on Celebrity in a junior suite.

We had several maintenance issues. For instance two days of no hot water. There was a sewer smell in our bathroom. The best is when we tried to use our jacuzzi on our balcony and in the bathroom the water was the color of mud. This went on for days. We called maintenance and they said just run the water. We had to run the water in our tub every day for at least a half hour and it still was brown. When the tub was emptied there was brown scum and debris floating in tub.

We saved for a long time for this cruise for our 40th wedding anniversary and were extremely upset about the issues we experienced.

I am not a high maintenance person, but when you pay for the most expensive cabin on the ship you would expect it to be in perfect condition

We also were invited to a luncheon with the officers and found out that people in grand and owners suites were invited to eat with the captain. It doesn't matter if I eat with the captain or not it was just the principal .

If I were to book an expensive suite again it would definitely not be on Royal.

I believe you were on the repositioning cruise down to Port Canaveral (during which the ship was hit by a rogue wave)? These repositioning cruises attract a lot of veteran cruisers because of price and longer duration, but for a Concierge to tell a suite guest, especially a Royal Suite guest, that he was too busy with Pinnacle guests to give them proper attention, is not appropriate.

I presume you have pursued the maintenance problems you encountered, both during the cruise and since, and that Royal Caribbean has responded appropriately?

Edited by travelgoddess1

Sure would be curious to know which OS this was? We have one booked for 2 weeks in February...:eek:

We are sailing with you on the first week of your B2B. I firmly believe that everything will be wonderful.

Did you see the post in our roll call, where I am going to organize a "Hot Tub Party" on Day 5 at 10:30pm near the Solarium?

I've been wanting to do a comparison between NCL and Royal but time just keeps us from sneaking away for an extra week vacation.

I went on line and checked on a possible escape for hubby and I and did a comparison of both ships, Royal and NCL in driving distance. Well, NCL is doing a special for all suites with free beverage and dining package and $300.00 OBC. I think I have to make the time now!!!

I believe you were on the repositioning cruise down to Port Canaveral (during which the ship was hit by a rogue wave)? These repositioning cruises attract a lot of veteran cruisers because of price and longer duration, but for a Concierge to tell a suite guest, especially a Royal Suite guest, that he was too busy with Pinnacle guests to give them proper attention, is not appropriate.

I presume you have pursued the maintenance problems you encountered, both during the cruise and since, and that Royal Caribbean has responded appropriately?

Yes we were on the repositioning cruise. RCCL did compensate us but I don't believe what they gave us was enough for the issues we experienced. We will not be able to book this type of cabin again. We saved a long time for this and the only fair compensation would to be in a Royal Suite again. I was not given enough compensation to book any suite .

We sail pretty much exclusively in suites, so this thread caught my attention.

I'm on the Freedom next month in an Owners Suite and I'm really hoping the suites are going to be refreshed during the dry dock taking place right now.

The suites like any other accommodation take a beating 365 days a year - not making excuses however. I feel if I am paying top dollar to cruise in a suite, attention to detail on the cruise lines part is paramount. Things like having to ask for toiletries daily is unacceptable in my opinion.

We sailed in the Royal Suite last February on the Adventure, and while we loved the space (it's huge!) we were disappointed that many of the "features" of this special suite were not in working order. Our trip was not ruined, but I was surprised that even the most expensive suite on the ship was neglected.

I agree completely with Patti about the Concierge - it is hit or miss sometimes. On my Explorer cruise in November 2013 we had a fantastic and attentive Concierge - he couldn't do enough for us (even though we really didn't ask for anything!) and then we board the Adventure a few months later in the Royal Suite and the Concierge really didn't reach out to us at all. I had planned a party for about 40 people in the suite and was basically left to do it all myself....

At the beginning of the month, we stayed in a GS on Freedom (our first suite!) and had a fabulous experience. The CL was busy prior to the first seating for dinner, but we were able to get a seat without a problem. It was not as busy later in the evening. It was only a 2-night cruise, so we didn't have a lot of time to take advantage of very many suite perks, but the Concierge was very friendly and was happy to take care of any of our requests. The room was in great condition, and the attendant did a great job keeping the room clean/stocked while we were on board.

We have the RS book on Indy next spring (2016) and are hoping for a similar experience then!

My husband and I sailed on the Indy last month in an OS and noticed RC is really going down hill in the Suites. Like I mentioned we were in an OS (not our first) and were very disappointed. There were numerous things I noticed that kind of put a damper on our vacation as we paid a lot of money to sail on this cruise. More than we have ever paid for an OS.

1. Pillows and mattress were old, soiled, and bloody. Husband and I were shocked that RC would use pillows that were obviously many years old. We had to ask our room steward for new ones.

2. Approximately 12 light bulbs on ceiling out. Curtain track was broken and hanging where you can separate the bed from the living room. We told our room steward right away and he never called maintenance. We finally took care of it ourselves on day 3.

3. No communication in the suite or from Concierge that there was a private beach on Labadee and that we could use it. Found out from our friends who are Diamond Plus and Pinnacles.

4. No free press on Formal Night.

5. Over crowding in CL and DL. Spent the whole time in the Viking Crown each night as it was impossible to get a seat in either lounge.

6. Suite was in subpar condition. Couches old and soiled and the suite did not look like it had been cleaned well in a long time.

7. Had to ask the room steward for shampoo, conditioner, soap each day. Is RC really losing that much money that they can't keep the suites fully stocked to last you a whole week? And, where did the slippers go?

8. The suite menu for room service has definitely dwindled. We were hosting a wine gathering in our room and there was really not much you could order for a party. On the Allure, we were able to order the artichoke dip and chips, wings, cheese and crackers and other items but the only thing we saw was the cheese plate. Our Concierge went out of the way when she heard we were having a party and when we got back to the room, our table was set with lots of goodies.

I could go on and on but just wanted to see if I am the only one who has noticed that the suite life is overpriced and the perks are going down way down hill.

It's not you! Your experience is just disgusting and RCI should be ashamed about this. We sail in GS majority of the time and just left the Enchantment yesterday. Our suite was also in disrepair as well as dirty. The nightly menu's that are left are all wrinkled and look like they've been used a thousand times. The curtains are always out of kilter. There was a dripping pipe on the ceiling of the balcony which kept dripping on me. 90% of the time the chairs on the balcony are ripped or broken. There's a new concierge who seems nice but spent most of her time behind the desk or chatting with a friend. I've noticed the staff's clothing has been ill fitting or thread bare, particularly the windjammer staff and housekeeping staff. The CD and his staff also look barely presentable. These people should be dressed appropriately in clean clothes that actually fit. What kind of impression does this make ? I wonder what it would be like in a suite on another cruise line. NCL seems to be really stepping it up. We may start looking.

Yes, Jules. I was on the cruise with Rick and it was the Navigator on deck 8. Cabin 8694. I did love the extra room and we were able to book it w/ just the 2 of us so that was also nice. Just a bit disappointing. The again, the gum and the filthy table and towel would have disappointed me if I were in any cabin.

I do have to say that many on the Celebrity board feel that Bayley was the death of Celebrity. It was said "let him go and ruin RCI now" more than once on the Celebrity boards. Celebrity had always been my line of choice. I "earned my status" on RCI by virtue of my cruises on Celebrity. I only went back to RCI after a 10+ year hiatus as I became disenchanted with things on =X=.

Bummer! We have the suite next door. Hope it will be a better experience for us.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently returned from a cruise on the Oasis where I stayed in a Crown Loft (L1). I have to say that everything ( service and condition of the room) was excellent. Our stateroom attendant went above and beyond, and on the occasion that I had to call maintenance (my fault- I broke the closet door) they arrived within 10 minutes. I found the addition of the Costal Kitchen and Suite lounge to be a huge amenity.

Unlike the majority of you members, I am pretty much a cruise virgin. Prior to my Oasis cruise, I have only experienced one other cruise (Liberty of the Seas) where I stayed in a regular balcony room. I found the upgrade to a suite well worth the money and made my experience much more enjoyable. Unfortunately, I no longer want to cruise unless I can stay in a suite.

It is unfortunate that several of you have had bad experiences, thankfully mine proved the opposite. I have read many comments where people state that they are changing cruise lines because they have not been happy with their RCC experience. This is understandable, and if I wasn't happy I would change as well. However, as one member pointed out above, the grass is not always greener on the other side. If you read trip reports from suite guests of other cruise lines you will find an equal number of complaints.

Although I can't speak from experience, my research (reading cruise critic and other cruise publications) appear to show that there isn't a whole lot of difference in suite amenities between cruise lines. Sure; some will provide butler service, while other include laundry or shoe shinning, but there doesn't appear to be one line that includes "everything".

In my opinion it would make sense for a customer to decide what amenities are important to them, and choose the line that provides them with those services. This seems more logical than cruising with a company that you know doesn't provide the amenities that you want and then later complaining about the experience.

RCI have quite a number of new ships either being built or on order. Not to mention all the refurbishments occurring during drydocks. Quite a financial commitment. So the money has to come from somewhere. Also with around 24 ships currently in operation across the world operational expenses must be huge.. Cutbacks in service and staff and possibly a sign of over commitment on the company's part I think. Of course it's a competitive business but if they alienate the high revenue customer such as suite guests the. Possibly they are just making things worse for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Come on guys. You aren't helping me! I have been trying to justify booking a real suite for awhile now...69 potted plants on several lines and counting... I have been in a couple of JS's but have really wanted to see if I can justify the cost but it seems like I am going to stay in a nice regular balcony and have an extra cruise instead. The extra real estate would be nice but except for sitting on the balcony, we really only change and sleep in the cabin. I appreciate hearing your experiences, both pro and con in the suites so I thank you.

I love being a toadstool in a potted plant, full of colour and life!

Come on guys. You aren't helping me! I have been trying to justify booking a real suite for awhile now...69 potted plants on several lines and counting... I have been in a couple of JS's but have really wanted to see if I can justify the cost but it seems like I am going to stay in a nice regular balcony and have an extra cruise instead. The extra real estate would be nice but except for sitting on the balcony, we really only change and sleep in the cabin. I appreciate hearing your experiences, both pro and con in the suites so I thank you.

I love being a toadstool in a potted plant, full of colour and life!

Try a suite on a repositioning cruise. Much better pricing.

Curious - for those who usually sail in suites, have you tried the suite life on other major cruise lines and how do they compare?

We tried the suite life on NCL Jade and it was fabulous. Loved the 2 bedroom penthouse suite plus the Cagney's breakfast and lunch suite perk.

[YOUTUBE]jgLddY6LzvQ[/YOUTUBE]

Later this year, we'll be trying the MSC Yacht Club.

Curious - for those who usually sail in suites, have you tried the suite life on other major cruise lines and how do they compare?

We tried the suite life on NCL Jade and it was fabulous. Loved the 2 bedroom penthouse suite plus the Cagney's breakfast and lunch suite perk.

[YOUTUBE]jgLddY6LzvQ[/YOUTUBE]

Later this year, we'll be trying the MSC Yacht Club.

We have not yet, but I was seriously interested in trying NCL Gem next year - she does a 10 day cruise over Thanksgiving out of NYC, and the suite pricing is only slightly higher than the GS we have booked on Freedom. Unfortunately, my wife and son are pretty excited to go on Freedom, so will probably stay put this year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter and I sailed on Brilliance last month in OS 1552. The room was beautiful and everything in working order. The one thing that I did notice, was out on our balcony most of the furniture, including the glass table top, were covered in white paint splatter. It was like they'd been out doing some touch up painting and never bothered to cover the furniture. It was obvious because the cushions are navy blue and the chairs are a dark brown wicker. Not a big deal to us, but I found it a little odd that they'd been left like that.

Our experience in the concierge lounge was great. We didn't experience huge crowds, but then we didn't arrive until 6:30 or so, after early seating had begun. Everyone we met there was friendly and we always had people ask us to join them at their table. It didn't feel like an exclusive club where we weren't welcome.

We really enjoyed the special breakfast in Chops each morning. That's a very nice perk.

Next up is a GS on Liberty in a little over 3 weeks. Another new ship and port for us.

My daughter and I sailed on Brilliance last month in OS 1552. The room was beautiful and everything in working order. The one thing that I did notice, was out on our balcony most of the furniture, including the glass table top, were covered in white paint splatter. It was like they'd been out doing some touch up painting and never bothered to cover the furniture. It was obvious because the cushions are navy blue and the chairs are a dark brown wicker. Not a big deal to us, but I found it a little odd that they'd been left like that.

Our experience in the concierge lounge was great. We didn't experience huge crowds, but then we didn't arrive until 6:30 or so, after early seating had begun. Everyone we met there was friendly and we always had people ask us to join them at their table. It didn't feel like an exclusive club where we weren't welcome.

We really enjoyed the special breakfast in Chops each morning. That's a very nice perk.

Next up is a GS on Liberty in a little over 3 weeks. Another new ship and port for us.

You will love the Liberty. We did a B2B on her last January. A RFS with my daughter, niece and husband and when they got off an OS. Unfortunately, it has gone down hill since then. I hope Liberty still provides great clean suites with great perks.

Cannot comment specifically about suites on the Liberty - but the Concierge Lounge was "just ok", To be honest, my November Liberty cruise was the worst in all of my RC cruises - crew disengaged, the ship not well cared for, food not great.......now, keeping in mind we were the first U.S sailing after a season in Europe, so I feel that had something to do with it. The crew had worked 10 days straight over the crossing with no break. I won't book the first sailing after a return from Europe ever again. We were on the second sailing too and it was marginally better, but still not great.

Interesting. I remember the CL lounge as small with no views but Ouna, the Conceirge was really great. One night we had a wine party in our OS and she made sure room service delivered lots of nice appetizers. She even escorted us off the ship as we disembarked. She was awesome.

Edited by Colorado Babe

Interesting. I remember the CL lounge as small with no views but Ouna, the Conceirge was really great. One night we had a wine party in our OS and she made sure room service delivered lots of nice appetizers. She even escorted us off the ship as we disembarked. She was awesome.

The Concierge on our b2b was not a woman. In fact he was so not memorable, I don't remember his name :cool:

Bummer! Sounds like the Conceirge we had on the Indy however it was filled with top three guests and he was really busy. I doubt he even knew me.

There is no doubt that the Concierge has a lot to do with my enjoyment of the lounge - and of course my fellow lounge dwellers :) On our EX cruise in Nov/13 our Concierge was Nizar Laatiri and he was excellent - very friendly and attentive. It was a great experience.

That's the way it should be. I feel like there should be a separate lounge for suite guests. On the Indy the lounge was so full we couldn't use it so we used the Diamond lounge. I mean we got our drinks up there but it was so full we drank them in the Viking lounge. A waste of money for the OS!