what surprised you the most

ozarkmama

Even on Celebrity, how hard they try to sell stuff. From the usual like Bingo, to overpriced art, to drinks, extra priced meals, Faberge eggs, watches, tshirt, etc, etc etc, I guess some lines have extra priced items in the MDR now. Celebrity (like many hotels) now has pay for snacks in the Cabin.

Any projections for what's next? Pay for the chance to toot the horn or dock the ship?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Interesting. I've had the opposite experience. Did you participate in your roll call? I just got off a cruise and we all had such a great time together that we've booked another one. Some of the people I knew from previous cruises, but most I met on the roll call.

We really do need a like button on this forum. I agree with you 100%. We have met so many wonderful people on our past cruises, and are very excited to meet new friends next week. I also enjoy reading posts throughout the year when I am planning our next cruise. CC is one of the best parts of my day!!

Even on Celebrity, how hard they try to sell stuff. From the usual like Bingo, to overpriced art, to drinks, extra priced meals, Faberge eggs, watches, tshirt, etc, etc etc, I guess some lines have extra priced items in the MDR now. Celebrity (like many hotels) now has pay for snacks in the Cabin.

Any projections for what's next? Pay for the chance to toot the horn or dock the ship?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Time to move to a premium line like Oceania.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much I loved the sea - and I am a terrible sailor usually! Loved the aft "wake" - hypnotic! And the changing colour as we sailed to different places - pink sometimes, in Greece, and so magically translucent, I never thought I would love something that makes me so scared and sick at the same time!

Also, how small my clothes got day by day...:D:D:D

On our first cruise, we arrived very early at the port. DW was very excited; I wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into! I became quite fascinated at the logistics going on that supported the ship: unloading recyclables, garbage, suitcases, etc. And then there was the reloading of supplies from variety of freezer and refrigerated trucks as well as other supplies and an incredible variety of suitcases. All this movement in the extreme of efficiency can be like a choreographed dance!

In later cruises as we experienced different cruise lines, I began to study the differences in how the crowds were handled, from vehicle drop-off, through security, check-in processing, and finally the arrival on board. This of course, led to studying the concepts applied and differences in the debarking process!

What surprised me the most was: You can get on the ship on Sunday, be out and about for all seven days then disembark on Sunday seven days later and not make a single future friend. People are becoming more and more introverted. My steward said it is a society of " what you can do for me and not what I can do for you." I was beginning to think that it was because I was over 65 and I might drool on them.:rolleyes:

Wow, I have exactly the opposite experience. Every cruise, I meet a new bunch of friends, and enjoy finding time thru the year to coordinate a future vacation or cruise with them, or visit them or have them visit me.

In 2 years, I've met friends on ships, that have taken me to Amsterdam to visit, Denver, Telluride, Orlando, New Jersey, Fort Lauderdale and Toronto, with plans to visit more.

I generally sail solo, for the purpose of meeting new folks, and I'm pretty much the definition of an introvert--cruise ships make it very easy to meet people, in my opinion and experience. I'm 44 and have met new fronds from 25 to 75, even seeing some on multiple cruises. I've even spent a holiday visiting an over 60 fella I met, so agism isn't even a real factor. It's all about putting ourselves out to meet new folks. You get what you give in those circumstances.

Edited by cle-guy

What surprised me the most was: You can get on the ship on Sunday, be out and about for all seven days then disembark on Sunday seven days later and not make a single future friend. People are becoming more and more introverted. My steward said it is a society of " what you can do for me and not what I can do for you." I was beginning to think that it was because I was over 65 and I might drool on them.:rolleyes:

I have made many friends on cruises and other trips. It is rare that I don't make friends on a trip. I often make friends that I continue to travel with on many other trips. It is an unusual trip when I do not make new friends. Next week I am on the Eclipse with a group of friends that I met last year on the same cruise. Last spring I was on the Summit. On the first evening at select dining, a couple was seated with us. We enjoyed their company. We ate together for the whole cruise....and they came with us on a land tour in October. I am over 65 , enjoy traveling, meeting new people, continuing old friendships, and am open to new experiences. Enjoy your cruise, be friendly, talk, listen, and smile. Maybe you will meet a new friend.