Man Overboard Oasis - Picked up by Disney Magic

ryano

We have sailed on Oasis twice, the Allure once and have booked another cruise on the Oasis next year. We have also been on several other RCL ships and will be on the Legend in a few weeks. Being familiar with the layout of the Oasis, and for that matter cruise ships in general, this entire story of the "giant wave" is completely fabricated. If a wave swept the bow it would have soaked the boat deck and probably several balconies. I have witnessed people doing stupid things like climbing on railings, standing on deck chairs next to railings, climbing around the life boat deployment gear etc.. The cruise lines take exceptional measures for passenger and crew safety but you can't defend against stupidity. I'm not saying alcohol was a factor in this case, but one thing the cruise lines should do is stop serving people when they are clearly drunk. This would be in the best interest of everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The news media here in Miami claim the shipboard video shows that the man jumped from deck 5. There was no wave, only the one in his head. His story was concocted. He's darn lucky to be alive. Why he jumped was not mentioned.

We knew the truth would eventually come out.

We're on the Oasis now. The tels us the video clearly shows this guy jumped from deck 5. His family left the ship in Cozumel to meet him in the hospital...
The news media here in Miami claim the shipboard video shows that the man jumped from deck 5. There was no wave, only the one in his head. His story was concocted. He's darn lucky to be alive. Why he jumped was not mentioned.
We knew the truth would eventually come out.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this is real confirmation of the truth. Unless "the news media in Miami" are citing other sources, I suspect their story came from dz9yvr post above. I think there is a regenerative loop: dz9vyr posts from Oasis (not the best or cheapest internet, so I at least type as quick as I can) "The tels us the video..." which I think is "They tell us the video.." - who is they? Somebody speculated a reasonable scenario, it gets report on Cruise Critic (the internet, so it must be true), is then picked up by Miami media (again, must be true), and the speculation is confirmed.:rolleyes:

However, the report is the most reasonable chain of events that I can think of, so even if this is not confirmation, that could still be what happened.

Thom

There were 2 threads here on CC talking about this incident. One of the previous posters was a passenger aboard Oasis on this cruise. He said he had learned that the ship video showed the guy climbing over a balcony railing onto a lifeboat below, then going into the sea from there. (This sounds like what Diver2014 heard on the Miami news report.) That story makes some sense - the original story did not!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this is real confirmation of the truth. Unless "the news media in Miami" are citing other sources, I suspect their story came from dz9yvr post above. I think there is a regenerative loop: dz9vyr posts from Oasis (not the best or cheapest internet, so I at least type as quick as I can) "The tels us the video..." which I think is "They tell us the video.." - who is they? Somebody speculated a reasonable scenario, it gets report on Cruise Critic (the internet, so it must be true), is then picked up by Miami media (again, must be true), and the speculation is confirmed.:rolleyes:

However, the report is the most reasonable chain of events that I can think of, so even if this is not confirmation, that could still be what happened.

Thom

My source was a crew member on Oasis.

My source was a crew member on Oasis.
Thanks! I don't have any doubts that is what you were told, and I appreciate that you posted it here (and with an inferred source that most of us could guess). I also think it the most likely scenario and the that the crew member was accurate, but it wouldn't be the first time a crew member was wrong. What I am really curious about is whether the Miami media have ANY source for this other than Cruise Critic and the CC link to the Cozumel newspaper. It would not surprise me that CC is their only source, nor would it surprise me that they had additional sources.

Thom

Thanks! I don't have any doubts that is what you were told, and I appreciate that you posted it here (and with an inferred source that most of us could guess). I also think it the most likely scenario and the that the crew member was accurate, but it wouldn't be the first time a crew member was wrong. What I am really curious about is whether the Miami media have ANY source for this other than Cruise Critic and the CC link to the Cozumel newspaper. It would not surprise me that CC is their only source, nor would it surprise me that they had additional sources.

Thom

Yes, like the person who was told, by crew members and even an officer, that the child who had nearly drowned was a little girl when in actual fact, it was a boy. It was confirmed to be a little boy by a passenger who witnessed the whole event. In this case, even the media said it was a little boy and published his name.

I've come to realize crew members as are much gossipers as we all are.

Ever play the "telephone game" in grade school where you whisper something to the kid next to you in a big circle then the last person says out loud what they heard?....and how much it varied from the initial thing said?

On the celebrity boards for example, crew were telling people that Bistro on 5 was converting to a suite restaurant, this even after a full X staff meeting telling them this was not happening, the Suite restaurant was being prepared in an area adjacent to MDR.

As early as 2 weeks ago, staff from Sillouhette were telling guests that during Sillie's weeklong drydock to repair an azipod, it was getting Cellar Masers converted to the new GastroBar they have on Equinox and is coming to Eclipse this spring. Nope, didn't happen, no major changes done other than fix the azipods and some routine hull maintenance and cleaning.

I've come to realize crew members as are much gossipers as we all are.

Maybe even more so. Every board I've ever read has had people saying, "a crew member told me......."

Not sure if anybody has seen this one... but the articel has a Youtube video of him getting rescued.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/11342292/Man-falls-from-a-cruise-ship-and-is-picked-up-by-another.html

WOW, that life boat is bobbing around like a cork. I'll bet that person will never do something so stupid again. I imagine he will never have the chance to try something on a cruise ship again since his cruising days are probably over.

I was surprised that they said he fell from the top that was equal to 21 stories...where do they get there info from?

Right, you can fall that far and live to wave to the passengers once on the Magic

I was surprised that they said he fell from the top that was equal to 21 stories...where do they get there info from?

Not that it matters but his story is that he was on the bow. I can't believe they spotted this chucklehead in those waves.