Man Overboard Oasis - Picked up by Disney Magic

ryano

We're on the Oasis now. The tels us the video clearly shows this guy jumped from deck 5. His family left the ship in Cozumel to meet him in the hospital.

It's been an interesting cruise. A near drowning and a return to Port Everglades, a helicopter evacuation from Labadee an now a guy jumps overboard.

Good luck to all of those affected by these incidents.

...and you want to jump ship to Princess.

Apparently OUR Congress has nothing more important to do than worry about people falling off of cruise ships. Just pass a law, that will fix it.

I think the guy was just trying to dodge paying gratuities the last night.

You're right - I forgot about gratuities.

Here's what the law actually says about these 'systems' (from section 3, subsection 3507):

‘‘(D) The vessel shall integrate technology that can be used for capturing images of passengers or detecting passengers who have fallen overboard, to the extent that such technology is available.

Actually most of the law refers to crimes and crime prevention aboard cruise ships.

Link to read the law:http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg2/cgis/Docs/HR3360CruiseVesselSecurityandSafetyActof2010.pdf

I am confused about who should be "majorly embarrassed."

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

no .. you don't just "fall off" a ship ...

Snells fishy... If you have ever sail on the oasis you can barely feel large waves much less one knock you over board!!! On carnival I have sailed in a cove balcony which are only 30ft from the ocean and would find it extremely had to believe if it happen there... Much less on the Oasis.... He was more than likely doing something he should my have been doing or was still drunk from the night before...

tumblr_ndhy9fKrbq1qzft56o1_1280.jpg

Wow! I didn't know that they had already installed them on the GGB. Thanks! We saw them on the Sydney harbor bridge when we were there. And we had heard the discussions about SF. Interesting. (or is that an artist's rendering of what they will look like?)

Edited by Coralc

Wow! I didn't know that they had already installed them on the GGB. Thanks! We saw them on the Sydney harbor bridge when we were there. And we had heard the discussions about SF. Interesting. (or is that an artist's rendering of what they will look like?)

Artist rendering, they are not up yet. The Golden Gate Bridge is closed this weekend to instal a new movable median barrier, the nets are a year or two out.

Why would people throw them overboard?

For the same reasons they get drunk, they throw chairs overboard, they throw loungers overboard, they destroy and throw emergency Equipment overboard..........

or even for the same reasons they jump overboard.

It should be a major embarrassment that a passenger can go overboard without Royal Caribbean detecting that it lost a passenger at sea. Unfortunately, this cruise line has made no efforts to comply with the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act which requires the installation of automatic man overboard systems.

The only Major embarrassment here should be with the guy jumping overboard and telling such a stupid Story.

It should be a major embarrassment that a passenger can go overboard without Royal Caribbean detecting that it lost a passenger at sea. Unfortunately, this cruise line has made no efforts to comply with the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act which requires the installation of automatic man overboard systems.

And what does that mean..????:confused:

For the same reasons they get drunk, they throw chairs overboard, they throw loungers overboard, they destroy and throw emergency Equipment overboard..........

or even for the same reasons they jump overboard.

Hmmmmm! You can't fix stupid!

... It should also be a major embarrassment to claim somebody else's published words as your own.
Judy: Don't be so quick to accuse someone of plagiarism. Remember that Cruise Critic's "mr walker" is a very pleasant guy with a sense of humor (or is that humour) who lives in Australia. My theory is that "Sunlovers_" is the screen name of the Miami attorney whose name we will not mention.:eek:

Thom

We were recently on the Oasis and when I did the Bridge tour I specifically asked about some kind of man overboard detection system...but was told they had nothing of the sort. They do have hundreds of cameras recording constantly and the 1st officer told me that they can look back and see how a person went overboard.... he was not sure how long the images were kept for.

I don't know why ships that cost over 1 billion dollars can't have a man overboard system...my friend has a very expensive house and has an alarm system that detects anyone crossing a special perimeter beam...and small animals, birds or rodents don't set it off....quite cool really.

Anyways kind of scary the you can fall of a ship and for 4-5 hours no one knows your missing....

the morons who fall overboard:rolleyes:

It should be a major embarrassment that a passenger can go overboard without Royal Caribbean detecting that it lost a passenger at sea. Unfortunately, this cruise line has made no efforts to comply with the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act...

Embarrassment to who? (or is that whom?) A passenger doing what a passenger should cannot fall off of a cruise ship. Make poor decisions and they may impact your safety, same on a ship as in other areas of life. It should no more be an embarrassment than it should that people can "fall" off bridges and buildings everywhere, if they so choose.

Now, which part of the,

the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act which requires the installation of automatic man overboard systems
???

From my read, the CVSSA reads: "The vessel shall integrate technology that can be used for capturing images of passengers or detecting passengers who have fallen overboard, to the extent that such technology is available." It is my understanding that RCI has imagery of the person going overboard, unless I am confusing incidents...

Judy: Don't be so quick to accuse someone of plagiarism. Remember that Cruise Critic's "mr walker" is a very pleasant guy with a sense of humor (or is that humour) who lives in Australia. My theory is that "Sunlovers_" is the screen name of the Miami attorney whose name we will not mention.:eek:

Thom

:eek: Oh my, Thom! Could such a devious thing be possible?:eek::D

Judy

Thom

[emoji33] Hmmm, could it be? (Sleuth mode, activate) lol