Comparing Alaska Cruises

Ugaaucruisers

We would love some input from you fellow Celebrity cruisers! We have sailed with Celebrity 5 times and have 2 other cruises currently booked with them. So, in short we love Celebrity! We are planning an Alaska cruise for this next summer and are looking at the Millenium. We are also looking at Princess and Holland America. We've heard excellent reiviews for all. Would love some input from anyone who has sailed Alaska on any of the above....Should we stick with Celebrity or try Princess or Holland? We are planning on doing a Southern Glacier cruise from Seward with a pre-cruise tour in Denali.

Thanks in advance for your help.:)

In AK, the ship you cruise on should be almost the last consideration.

Decide based on the following in order of importance -

1) Itinerary

2) Itinerary - duplication is intentional

3) Does it go to Glacier Bay

4) Port time

5) Time of arrival at ports

6) Time of departure at ports

7) Ship

DON

In AK, the ship you cruise on should be almost the last consideration.

Decide based on the following in order of importance -

1) Itinerary

2) Itinerary - duplication is intentional

3) Does it go to Glacier Bay

4) Port time

5) Time of arrival at ports

6) Time of departure at ports

7) Ship

DON

Keep in mind that some cruise lines do both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay on the southbound cruises. 4,5 and 6 are more important then the ship. If you arrive late or depart early you sometimes can miss tours that are best at those times. Many animals feed in early morning or early evening.

Month is important as well. Bears become more visible for sighting when the salmon start running in the creeks. May and June the salmon aren't running enough for the bears or bald eagles to be near the creeks for feeding.

Edited by Kamloops50

We did Alaska on Coral Princess, Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. The itinerary is perfect (both Glacier Bay and Hubbard, plus the usual suspects between there and Vancouver -- and you take the inside route to Vancouver for smoother sailing and scenic viewing). The ship is also perfect: Panamax design means long and narrow and it has a full Promenade Deck, so there are lots of public viewing spots (also the not-so-"secret" fore and aft balconies plus the usual upper decks). The Southbound route also allows you to add a land tour beforehand, and then rest up on the cruise.

OP:

I had one of my best cruises on Holland America's Amsterday, a 14-day cruise from Seattle to Kodiak and back, with different stops North and Southbound. The service was great!

You should really think twice about the Millennium. Do research about what recent cruisers have posted. You have been warned.

Edited by notjaded

Another vote for Princess. The saying is "Princess owns Alaska." I've the inside passage on the Sapphire (now in Asia). In August I will be doing a land & cruise with the Coral being the ship. I sailed the full length Panama Canal trip on her 2 years ago. I love that ship!

....but for AK, go Princess. We did southbound one way in 2014 off Crown with Hubbard and Glacier Bay. You won't be disappointed. We've also sailed roundtrips out of Seattle, each time on Star. Once included Endicott Arm (couldnt' get into Tracy) the other included Glacier Bay. Either way, enjoy! :)

We also considered the same three cruise lines for Alaska. We normally cruise with Celebrity, but for the first time in many many years, we have decided to try Princess. We're booked on the Coral Princess for a May cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. Itinerary/Itinerary/Itinerary!!!

We did Alaska on Coral Princess, Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. The itinerary is perfect (both Glacier Bay and Hubbard, plus the usual suspects between there and Vancouver -- and you take the inside route to Vancouver for smoother sailing and scenic viewing). The ship is also perfect: Panamax design means long and narrow and it has a full Promenade Deck, so there are lots of public viewing spots (also the not-so-"secret" fore and aft balconies plus the usual upper decks). The Southbound route also allows you to add a land tour beforehand, and then rest up on the cruise.

Thanks for the info. What are the secret fore and aft balconies on the Coral Princess?

Thanks

We had friends that recommend that it was best to go on the northbound cruise, because you see the best of the cruise at the end.

Personally we always do the 14 day roundtrip. On Princess we get to see Glacier Bay twice and Hubbard Glacier on the way back. If your doing a land portion , do it first then the cruise.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Personally we always do the 14 day roundtrip. On Princess we get to see Glacier Bay twice and Hubbard Glacier on the way back. If your doing a land portion , do it first then the cruise.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

We want to do a land trip at the beginning and end, see Vancouver and Denali.

I don't want to pay for a round trip. A balcony for seven days pp is over $1800. That is expensive for seven days.

We want to do a land trip at the beginning and end, see Vancouver and Denali.

I don't want to pay for a round trip. A balcony for seven days pp is over $1800. That is expensive for seven days.

Check what land tours and airfare cost for Alaska. Keep in mind that meals on land tours are normally not included. Meals in Alaska a fairly expensive.

Combined land tours and cruise are about $3000-$4000 per person for a total of 13 days based on a balcony cabin.

We personally prefer inside cabins in Alaska . As you cruise the fiords we are bouncing from side to the other to see what the naturalist sights.