Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

I understand that, while transferring between ship and tender (or tender and ship) an elderly lady fell into the sea today. I have no further information about her condition.

I hope that this information is incorrect, and that there has been a mistake, and that no-one has been injured (or that I am the intended target of an April Fools joke in very poor taste).

If I hear anything else, I'll post again. If true, this is awful, I do hope she is alright and recovering from this terrible accident.

Edited by pepperrn

Yes sadly a Tender accident happened on QE earlier today. 'Please' !! hopefully we are not going to start a long thread on the ins and outs of security on Cunard Tenders.

Can we just take some time out to be with the family and friends of the guest who was involved, and those wonderful members of the deck department who go out of their way to take care of us.

The official announcement can be seen on the Cunard web site/ Facebook.

Our thoughts at this time go out to the Captain/Crew and all onboard the QE.

:)

Yes sadly a Tender accident happened on QE earlier today. 'Please' !! hopefully we are not going to start a long thread on the ins and outs of security on Cunard Tenders.

Can we just take some time out to be with the family and friends of the guest who was involved, and those wonderful members of the deck department who go out of their way to take care of us.

:)

Well said Bell Boy. Such a sad day for Cunard and QE crew and staff. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the lady, and to my friends and crew who are on QE at this moment in time. May she rest in peace.

Edited by maggiemou

Well said, thank you.

Wednesday April 1st – Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Another warm humid day with temperatures in the mid 30’s brought us to the tender port of Sihanoukville. Our arrival time was 9am and for our half day tour entitled ‘Sihanoukvilee, the City of Contrasts’ we were instructed to attend at the Royal Court Theatre at 0930 in order to be allocated to a tender. We were in fact the last party to go ashore and were late in leaving the port.

After a short drive through the city in our air conditioned coach, following explanations by our tour guide, we arrived at a primary school and were allowed to stroll through the grounds and provide small presents to the children, who were very appreciative. It was good to see that despite the obvious poverty they can still have smiling faces. We met the headmistress who unfortunately could not speak English, but our guide acted as interpreter, and also one of the morning classes. The teacher of the class could speak a few English words, and we were treated to a refrain of happy birthday with which the majority of passengers also joined in.

The teachers were apparently in receipt of a salary from the government of around $75 per month and it was usual for them to take a second jobs to improve their wages. The children’s parents paid circa $400 -$500 per year to pay for their education. The schools run a shift system, this village school had lower grade classes in the morning followed by middle grade classes in the afternoon. I understood other schools had senior classes in the evening.

Next we visited a typical wooden village house, built on stilts, and were given complete freedom to wander around. The family were very poor and the head of the household used to work for the port authority before retiring. I suppose he was one of the lucky ones as there are not many older people after the ravages of previous times.

Our next call was to the Unthnean Pagoda Wat Krom (lower temple) built in 1963 and surrounded by five villages. It was home to monks who were removed during the Pol Pot regime, when the temples and houses were destroyed. In 1979 the pagoda was renovated and the monks returned, there are about 200 resident there today. Some lucky passengers received a water blessing from one of the monks during our visit.

From here we were taken to the best private beaches in the area at Sokha Beach, with dazzling white sand, but for those who wanted a swim in the water, there were signs warning of jellyfish in the water. However those on tour could use the hotels pool. There were only 2 organised excursions available here and in fact the only difference between the two was the time allocated at the beach. The shorter tour included a beach stop of approx. 1 hour, whilst the other included lunch and a stop of three hours. Beer was available at the Cambodian 5 star resort for $3 and snack lunches were available for around $5.

We then returned to the port, and the queues for the tenders were once again long, as all the trips tend to return at the same time, and three allocated tenders were kept very busy. There was little shade in the heat, and our guide advised us to stay in the bus until the queues diminished a little. However we eventually had to join the waiting hordes, and the only bit of shade available was through the souvenir stalls, by which time you were nearly at the front of the queue.

We had the novelty of the clocks going forward one hour last night, so are now on Singapore time.

John

Edited by Janix

I don't think so, several people have commented on this, and the laissez faire attitude in various parts of the ship.

John

I'm pleased to say it wasn't just the Aussies this time being blamed for lack of dress standards. I witnessed 3 British couples, at least 2 of them awere world cruisers, sitting on stools at the Mid Ships, wearing short sleeve shirts, not a jacket in sight, and that was a formal night. I asked a waiter why they were served and he said they were not allowed to upset the passengers. So much for those of us who dress up and respect the code!

I'm pleased to say it wasn't just the Aussies this time being blamed for lack of dress standards. I witnessed 3 British couples, at least 2 of them awere world cruisers, sitting on stools at the Mid Ships, wearing short sleeve shirts, not a jacket in sight, and that was a formal night. I asked a waiter why they were served and he said they were not allowed to upset the passengers. So much for those of us who dress up and respect the code!
Hi CeeDee49

I've been told a similar story by friends (but this was passengers on a nearby table in the MDR (and later at a bar) in casual clothes), when they complained to senior crew about the lack of enforcement they were told "We can only advise, we cannot insist (on a jacket)". What is the point of saying you've a dress-code if you've not?

(I've just realised what I may have started, sorry :o . Please, no-off topic dress-code thread drift, straight back to reports of QE's world cruise... )

Edited by pepperrn

Hi CeeDee49

I've been told a similar story by friends (but this was passengers on a nearby table in the MDR (and later at a bar) in casual clothes), when they complained to senior crew about the lack of enforcement they were told "We can only advise, we cannot insist (on a jacket)". What is the point of saying you've a dress-code if you've not?

(I've just realised what I may have started, sorry :o . Please, no-off topic dress-code thread drift, straight back to reports of QE's world cruise... )

If the dress code is not being adhered to then the staff should do what they have always done in the past . Ask the offenders to leave the bar etc. Or if someone enters the dining without a jacket, go get one from the store cupboard and make that person wear it, or he leaves the dining room. It was only two years ago when this would have happened. No jacket meant the head waiter would bring one to the table of the person requiring it. Or even a tie was handed to a non tie wearer. On 2012 world cruise non dressed up people were asked to leave and go to the Winter Gardens. I am sorry if now this is allowed to happen as it makes a mockery of things.

Edited by maggiemou

Salacia, I would be happy to answer your questions and thank you for your most kind compliments!

Sorry Salacia, when I responded I forgot to give you my email address.

(a and b cruisers at outlook dot com)

I am home now if you still wish to ask your questions.:)

Salacia, I would be happy to answer your questions and thank you for your most kind compliments!

Sorry Salacia, when I responded I forgot to give you my email address.

(a and b cruisers at outlook dot com)

I am home now if you still wish to ask your questions.:)

Hi Barbara! Thank you, nice lady. My concern is that others might respond and try faking you out that it is me asking questions. How do you feel about starting a new thread inviting questions about your voyage please? My guess is that many of us have questions that we didn't want to use up your internet time while you (and others) were on board. One thing, if it's ok to ask - do you still feel like you are on a ship? Rather wobbly?

Thanks again. - Salacia

The problem with the current stance on dress code, by saying that they cannot enforce means that there really is no dress code.

Those people who do make the effort will continually be sidelined and before long the company policy will be changed owing to customer demand.

But the glossy adverts will still portray James Bond and his missus (or is it mistress?) and implying that their 'White Star Service' is still the norm ?

Sorry but maybe I'm just an old cynic ?

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone lucky enough to be onboard already.

Can anyone please tell us what time we are due to dock in Valletta and also what time is all aboard for departure?

The Cunard VP just shows arrive morning and depart early evening!!!

We are hoping to meet friends but need to advise approximate times.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Carole and Ian

Hello everyone on board the Queen Elizabeth and following this thread.

I have been following this thread ever since Scrapnana started it and have enjoyed reading the adventures of Alibabacruisers and Janix. Thank you for all our "live" posts on this World Voyage.

So I was very happy to see the most beautiful ship afloat in Singapore today and hope you wouldn't mind a few photos here.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32705

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32706

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32707

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32708

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32709

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32710

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32711

Her scheduled departure time was 7pm but she only cast off at 7:45 so it was dark by the time she sailed off.

For those of you still on board I hope enjoy the rest of your voyage!

_____

QM2 Apr 2005 Southampton - New York

QE Aug 2014 Venice - Athens

Edited by photosg

Hello everyone on board the Queen Elizabeth and following this thread. I have been following this thread ever since Scrapnana started it and have enjoyed reading the adventures of Alibabacruisers and Janix. Thank you for all our "live" posts on this World Voyage. So I was very happy to see the most beautiful ship afloat in Singapore today and hope you wouldn't mind a few photos here.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32705

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32706

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32707

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32708

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32709

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32710

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32711

Her scheduled departure time was 7pm but she only cast off at 7:45 so it was dark by the time she sailed off. For those of you still on board I hope enjoy the rest of your voyage!

Hi photosg, Thank you taking and sharing your superb photos :)