What has happened to the cruise industry

crisio2030

The last two cruises I have been on have been marginal at best. The best names in the business seem to be getting mixed reviews. Has it come to the place that cruise lines want to have more ships with larger capacity at the risk of desroying the service and luxry of the hole cruising experience ? Too many mega ships to staff and train properly ? Even what was considered high line cruises are getting bad reviews. Any thoughts ?

We only have the opportunity to cruise once a year.

So for us the WOW factor is still there.

We have noticed a decline in Amentities, but have noticed the staff has treated us with respect and service for us is to our liking.

We love to travel in suites, and have one booked for August.

I hope the thrill continues.

Safe travels.

Some cruises are no doubt "bad". However, I think most of the problem comes from people being led to believe that cruising is such a wonderful experience it will be like dying and going to heaven. In reality, cruising is traveling on a ship. It is a real ship not some mythical place.

I have enjoyed several cruises now that have all been great-if not wonderful. Yet, I read on this board how cruising has gone so far downhill it is pathetic. If what I have experienced is "downhill" that I can't imagine what it must have been like before!

Finally, some people love to complain-they will complain about anything and everything.I mean there is a thread on another forum where a person is complaining that his non refundable deposit was not refunded after he had to cancel:eek: I mean really.....

When you say they were marginal, just how were they marginal? We have cruised 6 times and all of our cruises have been great-not perfect, but great. Some have even been better than that....

Considering how the cost of cruising has decreased I am not surprised that some standards are not what they once were.

Many complainers want the $1000/day luxury for $100/ day.

Not sure what ships/lines the OP has been on but maybe he should try a different one.

It's not that the cruise industry is changing. It is more that the public is becoming more whiny due to an overblown entitlement attitude. It amazes me what people complain about on these boards. Equally amazing is how much they demand for their discounted fares. They want cheap cruises, and then are upset if they don't get the luxury treatment.

Common sense and a firm grasp on reality are nearly obsolete these days. :rolleyes:

I checked the OP's posting history. It appears the OP's cruises have been on NCL. That fact alone answers many of the OP's concerns. NCL is considered a 'budget" cruise line and is certainly not a provider of luxury experiences.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Well I also think that simple economics are a huge factor. A large percentage of people want a good price for their cruise and are watching their budgets. These ships cost a lot of money. An average sized ship years ago may have cost a few hundred million dollars. Take the Oasis class ships that cost over a billion dollars per copy, not including interest on the loans. The larger the ship, generally the more passengers that can be onboard and increase the revenue potential. The cruise lines know what their fixed operating costs are per ship, and know how much money each cruise needs to make in every department to break even, let alone show a profit.

For me, being a member of Cruise Critic, reading cruise review is like watching a blooper reel of a movie I want to see. Instead of watching the movie for the overarching story, I now lay in wait for the boopers to happen and I miss the story.

Edited by Babycat

..... Equally amazing is how much they demand for their discounted fares. They want cheap cruises, and then are upset if they don't get the luxury treatment.

Prices today are much less than 30 years ago. Today, a person can book a balcony stateroom, have the choice of many different activities and public areas, enjoy varied entertainment, and take advantage of several different dining venues, most of them included with the fare. All for a price, with inflation factored in, that is much less than what people paid to cruise on the old "Love boat" type cruises with one dining room for all meals, no balcony staterooms at any price, and many fewer amenities.

The whiners have no idea how fortunate they actually are!

Common sense and a firm grasp on reality are nearly obsolete these days. :rolleyes:

So true, so very true!!!

Edited by fortinweb

If something 'has happened' to the cruise industry, I think changes began before 9-11 when there were so many new ships built, so many cabins to fill, cruising became more affordable for many as jobs were pretty good and the economy was okay. Then 9-11 happened. Cruise lines had all those cabins to fill and a cruising public that was not eager to fly to ports or sail far from home. Then came more ships, cruises selling at lower rates, eager bargain hunters demanding lower, lower, lower fares and to fill ships, cruise lines competed with each other to lower the fares. Lower revenue has to mean lesser product.

Then came the recession and many who would have cruised no longer had steady jobs, funds or security they'd keep their job. Lots of cabins to fill.

Then came price of oil. Fuel costs were ridiculously high but cruise lines could not enforce fuel surcharges so the product had to lessen. Lower crew numbers, low fares, a number of cruisers who had contests who could spend the least amount aboard thus providing no revenue but enjoying low fares.

Lower revenue = less product.

The cruise lines have evolved and so have the cruisers.

Considering how the cost of cruising has decreased I am not surprised that some standards are not what they once were.

Many complainers want the $1000/day luxury for $100/ day.

Not sure what ships/lines the OP has been on but maybe he should try a different one.

Yet there are people who pay that $1,000 per day and are dining from the same menu, encountering the same lower crew numbers, and yet many of them are not complaining in the same way as the cruiser you describe.

Year after year, when we sailed Maasdam on her Canada/NE cruises, we paid in the area of $1,150 per day though it varied a small amount from year to year. We were satisfied with our experience or would not have done it every summer but we certainly saw differences from 'what was' to 'what is'. Most of it was okay by us.

The cruising public has changed. Those who enjoy long standing shipboard traditions like sit down fixed seating formal dinners, turn-down service, and quiet relaxation are most definitely in the minority. Now many passengers are looking for lowest prices and a relaxed and unrestricted atmosphere. In general passengers are unwilling to pay for white linen tables, expensive menu items, complementary 24/7 room service, or for other traditional amenities. Some even proudly describe themselves as "frugal fare hunters" and even new cruisers ask about "booking strategies".

Not too ago a newbie asked if there were any ships for traditionalists like herself - one with a proper teak promenade deck, loungers, a grand dining room, and elegant rather than gaudy decor. I told her which one to research - and her response? Too expensive.:confused:

Even though prices are the same (or lower if you figure in inflation) what you GET for your cruise dollars will be MUCH less than in years past. The reason the fare is low is because all the good stuff that used to be included, is now "a la carte".... Drink prices are MUCH higher than they used to be...food quality and presentation is lacking...about the only thing that is the same, is the service...most of the time! You still get great attention from the staff, but again, there aren't as many of them as there used to be.

It's all about making money...just like any business!

Edited by cb at sea

....In general passengers are unwilling to pay for white linen tables, expensive menu items, complementary 24/7 room service, or for other traditional amenities....

I get those on my cruise line of choice, and their prices are comparable to the other mass market lines. A person can choose a line that is still focused on more traditional amenities - such as Holland America or Celebrity - or choose a line that is a floating amusement park/neighborhood mall - such as Carnival, NCL or RCI - for about the same price. It does depend on what a person wants.

I can't agree with those who claim that all cruise lines are more alike than different. If my cruise line of choice was more like NCL or Carnival, I wouldn't be cruising, since what those two lines offer is not what I want in a cruise experience.

Edited by fortinweb

Seems the general consensus is that price and amenity are tied tightly together! For those that want all the luxury items/services, you have options where those things are still the calling card of the cruise line. But, like it has been said, folks are looking for relaxation, fun, and affordable vacations and the cruise industry has adjusted to accommodate us. I have not seen a huge decline in service aboard the ships we have cruised on over the years. Yes, the menus have changed and the crew seem to be working a lot harder now, especially the cabin crew, to get their jobs done.

Recently, though, I saw an article that really does cause me some angst. Who the hell wants to go the bar for a nice pre-dinner libation and have a robotic bartender serve you?? COME ON!! Getting to know the bartenders is part of the fun of cruising. I don't speak robotic and the change is not one I am in favor of! Plus, it means several unlucky folks will lose their jobs which is not good, IMHO!

Rant over. Soapbox relinquished! :)

Even though prices are the same (or lower if you figure in inflation) what you GET for your cruise dollars will be MUCH less than in years past. The reason the fare is low is because all the good stuff that used to be included, is now "a la carte".... Drink prices are MUCH higher than they used to be...food quality and presentation is lacking...about the only thing that is the same, is the service...most of the time! You still get great attention from the staff, but again, there aren't as many of them as there used to be.

It's all about making money...just like any business!

What is interesting about this statement is you put no focus on how much MORE we get on the ships. In the not so distant past, very few cabins had a verandah, there were no TV's in cabins, no internet availability, no specialty restaurants and for those who look for it, ice skating rinks, mini golf, rock climbing walls etc

The ships are so much more luxurious, so many bars, dining areas, pools, night clubs...... In some ways we are getting far more. :)

<snip>

Recently, though, I saw an article that really does cause me some angst. Who the hell wants to go the bar for a nice pre-dinner libation and have a robotic bartender serve you?? COME ON!! Getting to know the bartenders is part of the fun of cruising. I don't speak robotic and the change is not one I am in favor of! Plus, it means several unlucky folks will lose their jobs which is not good, IMHO!

Rant over. Soapbox relinquished! :)

I so agree. Interaction with bartender/bar servers/dining stewards is fun for me. I enjoy that socialing.

To keep the costs down, the lines are cutting back on crew and quality of food.

Even though we have health problems, we have cut back on the number of cruises we take each year (retired) as the WOW factor is gone for us.

We used to enjoy talking to the dining room staff -- now they have so many more tables to take care they don't have the time to chat. Same thing with our cabin stewards -- they have many more rooms to clean. And we were surprised one morning to discover that some of them have cleaning jobs around the ship before they even start on the cabins. In the bars and loungers -- fewer staff -- longer wait for a drink -- and no time to socialize with them.

The last two cruises I have been on have been marginal at best. The best names in the business seem to be getting mixed reviews. Has it come to the place that cruise lines want to have more ships with larger capacity at the risk of desroying the service and luxry of the hole cruising experience ? Too many mega ships to staff and train properly ? Even what was considered high line cruises are getting bad reviews. Any thoughts ?

The major and long-lived lines have changed - they have decided to cater to a different client who wants different things from their cruise vacation experience. After all, their only other choice was to mothball or destroy a bunch of their ships that they could no longer afford to run in the new marketplace. A marketplace that was filled with those new clients, looking for cheaper experiences and who choose quantity over quality. And there are apparently lots of people looking for those experiences, as those lines are filling mega-ships.....but to do so, they've had to cut quality in many places, make many on-board "amenities" cost extra, and change the environment to one of sales and promotion.

There are still luxurious experiences in the cruise industry, but you have to look to smaller lines and smaller ships.

To keep the costs down, the lines are cutting back on crew and quality of food.

Even though we have health problems, we have cut back on the number of cruises we take each year (retired) as the WOW factor is gone for us.

We used to enjoy talking to the dining room staff -- now they have so many more tables to take care they don't have the time to chat. Same thing with our cabin stewards -- they have many more rooms to clean. And we were surprised one morning to discover that some of them have cleaning jobs around the ship before they even start on the cabins. In the bars and loungers -- fewer staff -- longer wait for a drink -- and no time to socialize with them.

Our last few cruises, I was uncomfortable seeing how hard the stewards are being worked now. They are expected to do too much each day IMO and I don't like seeing stewards at a near run in order to get dinner served in MDR. DH and I were never in a hurry to finish and if our service was slow, we just had another glass of wine.

One time I did speak to a steward about the first dessert I had ordered out of 14 days aboard. I never had dessert but one night they offered no added sugar cheesecake and I like that. I made a big deal out of my pleasure at seeing that on the menu. Steward smiled widely and then forgot to bring it. We waited and waited and finally stood to leave. He flew over to us all apologies as he knew I was disappointed. He was a great steward and the only reason I didn't get that cheesecake was because no one should be expected to serve as many people as he was serving. He felt awful....... So did I. :D I wanted that piece of cheesecake.. :D :D but never did have it.

Being uncomfortable about asking for something or feeling bad to see someone work so hard in order to please me is not the way I want to spend vacation. When the guest is observing the crew is working at a run, the guest often foregoes asking for something they want. They don't want to be a 'burden'. They go home feeling less than satisfied with the experience.

Edited by sail7seas

The cruise industry has changes less than the ,IMHO, outlandish expectation of the cruising public. No more Death By Chocolate. No more Suchi lunches by the pool. But having said that, I would never eat all my meals, even at my favorite restaurants, except maybe at home with me cooking but I'm on vacation. Crew members I have interacted with still have the same high standards as ever. Embarkation is more efficient than ever, but the ships are bigger. Even with increased prices over the past year or so, cruising is still cheaper than it was as recently as 2008. You get what you pay for.

Sorry, but I'm one of those people. assuming the system works I would prefer it. I find taking to the bartenders intimidating since I rarely drink and I also would appreciate the consistency in product it would produce. I also think it sounds pretty cool since I'm a techy and geeky person.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

Sorry, but I'm one of those people. assuming the system works I would prefer it. I find taking to the bartenders intimidating since I rarely drink and I also would appreciate the consistency in product it would produce. I also think it sounds pretty cool since I'm a techy and geeky person.

Even after 40+ years in the tech industry, I still think this is one place where technology needs to go away! Interacting with the crew is a big part of what I enjoy about cruising. I may never get to visit the home countries of most of the crew, but chatting with them about their home country is enjoyable...to me, as well as, getting to know them personally.

This is our 3rd cruise (all on Princess) and the first in 9 years. I would describe our experiences as cruising nirvana! No complaints at all. We were made to feel like it was "our" ship, like royalty. Due to health issues, this will most likely be our last cruise. I wish I hadn't read this thread. Maybe we're just too easy to please <g>

So far, we have only been on mid-sized ships and have had very good cruise experiences- on 5 different cruise lines. We think it's because of the size of the ship and because we select for itinerary and have had a great time visiting ports and exploring. (We read a lot about the ports before we go and always try to choose good excursions.)