Has Anyone flown "Wanna Get Away" option on Southwest Airlines?

Feelin' Nauti'

That's what we always book, probably what most people book because it's cheapest. We have flown them many times and never had an issue. If you haven't flown with them before, I would recommend going to their website to the frequently asked questions - they do things differently at SW. Also they have a short video called "boarding School" that is good to watch. If you have any specific questions ask away. :)

We did it a couple of times this past Fall from ATL to CA ... both times no issues. We did have our return flight cancelled on one trip, but that was due to weather ... the heavy rains in Las Vegas where we had to stop actually closed the airport! Luckily, we were staying with family and just flew out the next day. Again, nothing to do with SW. Personally, love their prices and service.

I fly wanna get away fare maybe 10-15 flights a year and usually just as smooth as can be. I usually buy the EB or early bird seating because I want an aisle and bin room -- just my comfort level. If you fly their other airline (AirTran) you get seat but pay for luggage so about the same. EB means that they give you your place in line 30 hours before those checking in 24 hours before the flight (I buy EB because I always forget to check in at 24 hours or I can't check in then!).

Boarding is really easy and much more organized than the airline is given credit for. You line up by groups (A,B or C)based on the check in time or the EB assignment. Each group has 60 spots. You line up when your group is called next to the pillar with your number. It is highly frowned upon to save a seat or try to use another's better spot in line. Once your ticket is scanned and you go down the jet way you are free to pick any seat that you want that does not have a person in it. Easy peasy.

By the way, keep an eye on the price of your seats. If it goes lower, you can rebook at the lesser price. A GREAT THING! Planes are usually full. There is no entertainment and minimal food and drink. If you are lucky, you can get a perky man or woman giving the safety drill in song or amusing way. Hope you like it. Often the cheapest BUT these days not always! Check it all out with fees and luggage included to see which airline is best that day!

Thank you all for easing my mind.

As for checking in the day of departure of the cruise.

We won't be able to do that.

Internet is too expensive on the ship.

We do have a 3pm flight.

Checking in when we get to the airport.

Will this be an issue?

I would get EB (early bird) -- it's only $12.50 per person and you will automatically get a better boarding position. That way, you can just print boarding passes at the airport and you won't need to get on the computer on the ship. We always buy EB and have always (over a 100 flights) been in the "A" boarding group.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

If you're not going to be able to check in before you get to the airport then I would purchase the EB and Southwest will automatically reserve a check in spot for you. Once you get to the airport you can print the boarding pass and check your luggage but since Southwest has basically checked you in already with the EB your boarding spot in line will most likely be with the A's. If you don't purchase EB and wait till you get to the airport you'll likely be in the B's or even C's and will be some of the last to board.

Thank you all for easing my mind.

As for checking in the day of departure of the cruise.

We won't be able to do that.

Internet is too expensive on the ship.

We do have a 3pm flight.

Checking in when we get to the airport.

Will this be an issue?

I agree with other posters. Buy the Early Bird. Then SW will assign you your boarding position at 36 hours prior to flight, well before the people that have to wait til 24 hours before flight. Then when you get to airport your can print your boarding pass when you check in. If you don't buy the earlybird, by the time you check in at airport most people will have already done their check in and you could get stuck with a C boarding position. That could mean geeting stuck in a middle seat between 2 strangers, and or being split up from your travel partners. We always buy the early bird. To us it is worth the small fee.

Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge.

Extremely helpful.

$12.50 p/p one way, total cost $50... :eek: Ouch!

I'm thinking EB is the way ago and absolutely worth it, especially when I can not check-in on line and flights will be full...FLL is a busy hub- intensive cruise port - 7 ships. Plus, we have connecting flights in Atlanta (another busy airport).

Now I just have to convince my DH :rolleyes:;)

A couple of minutes on the ship's internet is NOT $50!

If you are all on one PNR then you can check everyone in at one time. You don't need to take the time to print out your boarding passes. That's easily done at the airport.

If you wait until you get to the airport you will almost certainly be in a C group and if sitting together is important then don't consider this as a viable option.

Extremely helpful.

$12.50 p/p one way' date=' total cost $50... :eek: Ouch!

I'm thinking EB is the way ago and absolutely worth it, especially when I can not check-in on line and flights will be full...FLL is a busy hub- intensive cruise port - 7 ships. Plus, we have connecting flights in Atlanta (another busy airport).

Now I just have to convince my DH :rolleyes:;)[/quote']

Hello, if possible instead of EB, you can ask a family member or a friend to check you all in online on their computer or phone (if their internet/data is pretty fast) with your confirmation number when it hits the 24 hour early mark. Then you can just go to the airport and print out your boarding passes without the worry.

Purchasing EB requires you to purchase it for everyone on the reservation. If you plan on booking Southwest again in the future and you do want to do EB, I suggest having two separate flight reservations. One for one person and the other for the rest of the group. Then for that one person reservation, they can do the EB, go in early and save seats for the others. I see people do that all of the time...saving seats.

Edited by sacruising

Alcpa1

$50 is the total of the EB not internet.

Sacruising

Saving seats is frowned upon...I wouldn't chance it. ;)

Plus, I wouldn't impose asking friends nor relatives to help me check in.

Wasn't hard to convince DH to purchase EB after I explained all your reasoning's.

Do have a question

SW will automatically check me in 36 hours before my flights, all I do now is head to the airport and get boarding passes? :confused:

Extremely helpful.

$12.50 p/p one way' date=' total cost $50... :eek: Ouch!

Now I just have to convince my DH :rolleyes:;)[/quote']

It's $12.50 per person for ALL flights on that ticket, which includes R/T tickets.

So, you don't have to pay Early Bird again for you return ticket unless they were purchased on a different date.

Yes, don't be a Southwest "chair hog"! On our last flight from Houston to FLL a lady was trying to save seven seats for her extended family and caused a huge commotion that really slowed the boarding process. It started to go ugly at one point. The flight attendants don't get involved unless they have to -- I'm sure they hate this!

SW will automatically check me in 36 hours before my flights, all I do now is head to the airport and get boarding passes?

Yes, boarding passes and to check your luggage. If you do have a paper boarding pass in hand, it may go a bit faster, but it depends on the airport.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

It's $12.50 per person for ALL flights on that ticket, which includes R/T tickets.

So, you don't have to pay Early Bird again for you return ticket unless they were purchased on a different date.

I will say that I rarely purchase EB because I am almost always around at least my iPhone to check in 24 hours ahead (and that $12.50 can buy two drinks ;)), but I was under the near-certain impression that it was $12.50 per person, per way (or $25 roundtrip, even when booked at the same time).

Yes, boarding passes and to check your luggage. If you do have a paper boarding pass in hand, it may go a bit faster, but it depends on the airport.

Enjoy!

Kel

Early Bird Check-In is for $12.50 one-way per flight not r/t. (wish it was)

Tks on the info :)

Purchasing EB requires you to purchase it for everyone on the reservation. If you plan on booking Southwest again in the future and you do want to do EB, I suggest having two separate flight reservations. One for one person and the other for the rest of the group. Then for that one person reservation, they can do the EB, go in early and save seats for the others. I see people do that all of the time...saving seats.

Bad advice. You do not have to purchase EB for everyone on the reservation if you wait to purchase EB after you purchase the tickets:

If a Customer is booked in the same reservation with other Passengers, can he/she purchase EarlyBird Check-In even if the others do not choose to do so?

Yes, if EarlyBird Check-In is purchased and added to an existing itinerary. If EarlyBird Check-In is purchased within the same transaction as the air purchase, then all eligible Customers must purchase EarlyBird Check-In as well.

Saving seats is really rude, and I guarantee liable to cause problems when someone sits in seat that's being "saved".

We usually fly SW due to the free checked bag. Never had a problem with being bumped. Only 1 time I can remember about an hour delay. If I can't get to a computer to check in 24 hours before flying, I use my SW App on my phone and check in so I have my place in line.

For the flight to the port, I'm at the computer doing the checkin. Kinda part of that whole get-ready-for-the-cruise excitement.

For the disembarkation flight, we'll do EB. I'm still in vacation mode and don't want to think about having to be on the computer 24 hours before the flight. It's enough of a buzz-kill to get the luggage out the night before.

Edited by CantanaLobo

Oops! I'm wrong -- they will charge it all at one time. My Bad. Still worth every penny!:)

I, personally, don't find it too worthwhile. Coming back from a cruise, yeah, since it's often not worth it to get Internet on the ship just to check in. But otherwise...no thanks. I always have my iPhone with me and can check in right at T-24:00 and I've never been stuck in a middle. Sure, some people work in jobs where they can't check in at T-24:00 exactly, but a good chunk of us can. Perhaps I'm just cheap ;)

I, personally, don't find it too worthwhile. Coming back from a cruise, yeah, since it's often not worth it to get Internet on the ship just to check in. But otherwise...no thanks. I always have my iPhone with me and can check in right at T-24:00 and I've never been stuck in a middle. Sure, some people work in jobs where they can't check in at T-24:00 exactly, but a good chunk of us can. Perhaps I'm just cheap ;)

Hi Zach1213,

If I were flying by myself I'm not sure I would purchase EB, or even an off flight on a Tuesday, Wed..,. Where I find it "a must" is during the holidays when you know the plane will be jammed with many people who don't fly very often.

My wife is a teacher, so we are limited to her schedule. Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years and Spring Break -- I always get the EB.

Another area it pays off is when you have a tight connection and you need to get off the plane so you can board the next flight. We had a 55 minute connection in HOU before boarding our flight to FLL -- the evening before winter break. Nice to be in a forward row!:)

Enjoy!

Kel

Thanks great if your phone has internet....(I have the old fashion basic flip phone - no web) :o

Hi Zach1213,

If I were flying by myself I'm not sure I would purchase EB, or even an off flight on a Tuesday, Wed..,. Where I find it "a must" is during the holidays when you know the plane will be jammed with many people who don't fly very often.

My wife is a teacher, so we are limited to her schedule. Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years and Spring Break -- I always get the EB.

Another area it pays off is when you have a tight connection and you need to get off the plane so you can board the next flight. We had a 55 minute connection in HOU before boarding our flight to FLL -- the evening before winter break. Nice to be in a forward row!:)

Enjoy!

Kel

That's the reason why I purchased the EB...reassurance.

I like aisle seats for my long legs...

Then for that one person reservation, they can do the EB, go in early and save seats for the others. I see people do that all of the time...saving seats.

You are not supposed to save seats; that's the whole point of having a numbered boarding order.... you get on when it's your turn and take whatever is left. Be aware if you try to save a seat, that anyone else boarding CAN sit there. If everyone in your party wants a choice seat, then EVERYONE should get EB and board early.

Hi Zach1213,

Where I find it "a must" is during the holidays when you know the plane will be jammed with many people who don't fly very often.

My wife is a teacher, so we are limited to her schedule.

You've confused me. Flying on a weekday in October or flying on a Saturday in July.... either way the plane is likely to be full. Everyone gets a boarding number and lines up in that order, whether they are an experienced flyer or a first timer, so I'm not sure why EB matters more in one scenario than another. You either want to board early or you don't. :confused: