Paris to Normandy--which line?

muggo11

We are two couples in our 60s who have never taken a river cruise. We are active (hiking/biking, not rock-climbing active!), don't like to be "herded" too much, love good food and wine, history and art. We can only go in November or early December (2016) Price isn't too much of an object as this is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise. AND, we are thinking 7 days cruising so we can spend some quality time in Paris before and after.

I have read the French balcony is a solid choice (above the water-line and not too expensive).

I have read the stickies and lots of other press and articles. Now we need help from you experienced river cruisers! Which line suits us?

AND, when do most of the lines announce dates and rate for Nov/Dec of 2016? THANKS.

There are many river cruise lines that market to Americans and all are at least very good and pretty similar in lots of ways. So to focus on the particular points that are important to you:

• active (hiking/biking) -- AMA has a fleet of bikes onboard every ship; there's usually a bike tour alternative to the walking tour, and when there is free time the bikes are free to use -- they also generally have a fast walkers group and always have a slow walkers group, so the walking tours don't get bogged down

• don't like to be herded -- most lines use the QuietVox system that lets you straggle pretty far from the tour guide without getting lost, and all let you follow the tour only as long as you care and then ask the guide where to meet up later to get back to the ship

• good food and wine -- researching my first river cruise gave me the strong impression that AMA has the best food of all lines, and my cruise with them last year had great food and an interesting assortment of local wines and beer

• history and art -- this will depend on the itinerary more than the cruise line -- every part of Europe has history up the wazoo compared to the US, but some parts focus more on the distant past (Rhine castles) and some on more recent stuff (Normandy beaches) -- I don't think Art is a big deal on most river cruise itineraries except in the cities at the start and end

• November-December -- weather is always variable, but it will be colder in these months than in the higher seasons -- also note that Monet's house and gardens are closed from Nov 1 - Mar 31

• French balcony -- I think this is the best cabin type, because you can open the sliding door when the weather is good but you can always use the wall of glass for viewing and to get more sunlight in your cabin (especially important in Nov-Dec when there isn't much)

• when to book -- AMA had said they hoped to release their 2016 schedules by the end of 2014, but have not done so yet:

http://www.amawaterways.com/paris_and_normandy-2016

• recommendation: as you probably have guessed, I personally recommend AMA. I'm sure other happy sailors will post with reasons why several other lines also make good choices.

I agree with JazzBeau's recommendation of AMA. We are just back from our 5th cruise with them and have another booked for 2015. Normandy is on our radar for 2016.

I do not believe they offer Paris and Normandy in December. We recently are back from Spain to Provence with AMA and their last cruises for this area were in November. It is normally the same for Normandy due to weather.

that do cruise you want.

We re doing that one in June with Scenic, love the all inclusive cruises,so not nickel and dimed.But 2nd choice would be AMA ,as others have said.

May have to chose another time tho, would be too cold then and most stop after Oct.or so.

Lots of info to research,book early,and if not the right choice....try another line next time.

I took that trip on Avalon several years ago and will be repeating the trip in October also on Avalon.

Whichever line you choose you will have a wonderful trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would go with GCCL. They include 10 days on the ships vs 7 for most others doing the Seine trip. Their trips are one way ... Paris to Honfluer or reverse. The ship, MS Bizet, holds only 120 passengers. It was built in 2002 but still feels new. I have been on 12 river cruises and this is by far my favorite.

Edited by rogerdawhip

I was able to put a deposit down with Avalon for their Paris to Normandy beaches for May 2016. The exact dates have not been released yet for 2016 but they did take my deposit. Normally deposits are nonrefundable, but since I'm putting it down before specific dates are released, it is refundable until the dates come out. I told them around what date I am interested in cruising, and which ship - they currently have two ships doing this itinerary - an older ship, the Creativity, and one of their newer Suite ships, the Tapestry II. Once the dates for 2016 are released, I'll confirm the exact date and ship that I want to sail on. By putting the deposit down before 2016 dates and prices are released, I know I will get a better price than what 2016 prices are and may actually be getting a 2016 trip for 2015 prices.

If you are interested in any of the other lines, contact them and see if you can go ahead and put a deposit down now for your 2016 sailing. You can see what lines offer this itinerary in Nov / Dec 2015 and if they do it this year, more than likely they will also have very similar dates in 2016.

that do cruise you want.

We re doing that one in June with Scenic, love the all inclusive cruises,so not nickel and dimed.But 2nd choice would be AMA ,as others have said.

May have to chose another time tho, would be too cold then and most stop after Oct.or so.

Lots of info to research,book early,and if not the right choice....try another line next time.

Alexandra hope you come back after your June cruise and do a review; we just booked this trip for September (managed to get the last two balcony cabins).

did post review for one I took in June also. It was great ,so booked another.

Love the itinerary too.Plus dates just right for us.

Once you go on Scenic,its hard to go back.Really 5 star.Loved the large cabin,balcony,butler,free drinks,free pick up,free excursions.How can you go wrong,eh?Worth every penny.:)

Once you go on Scenic,its hard to go back.Really 5 star.Loved the large cabin,balcony,butler,free drinks,free pick up,free excursions.How can you go wrong,eh?Worth every penny.:)

Agreed! This will be my second Scenic cruise and I wouldn't think of booking with anyone else!

We hope to be able to hike to Chateau Gaillard, and plan on doing the bike ride along the Seine in Rouen. No balcony for us, just a large picture window. Not sure I'd use a balcony in March though:). Uniworld has just gone "all-inclusive", which will be nice, though we do plan on doing the optional excursion to Etretat.

We hope to be able to hike to Chateau Gaillard, and plan on doing the bike ride along the Seine in Rouen. No balcony for us, just a large picture window. Not sure I'd use a balcony in March though:). Uniworld has just gone "all-inclusive", which will be nice, though we do plan on doing the optional excursion to Etretat.

We have sailed on AMA twice, Uniworld twice, and Viking once. Are doing the Seine cruise on Viking this spring. Had great and not so good on both AMA and Uniworld. Hope our second Viking will be as fabulous as our first.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also looking at this cruise for next year. We have only done one river cruise so far, Avalon Nuremberg to Budapest on the Danube. Avalon was wonderful; loved every minute and wouldn't hesitate to book with them again. However, we are also looking at Vantage. Their Paris to Normandy cruise is a few days longer than the other cruise lines' tours for around the same price. There are many positive Vantage reviews on this board and I don't remember seeing any negative ones. We just need to compare Avalon and Vantage day by day to see which would work best for us.

I agree with JazzBeau's recommendation of AMA. We are just back from our 5th cruise with them and have another booked for 2015. Normandy is on our radar for 2016.

I do not believe they offer Paris and Normandy in December. We recently are back from Spain to Provence with AMA and their last cruises for this area were in November. It is normally the same for Normandy due to weather.

Right now DH & I are deciding between AMA Paris+Normand or AMA Spain+Provence.

Hope you will post a review of your AMA Spain & Provence-we need all the info we can get

Whoa. Moved quickly when 2016 became available via travel agent. Grabbed cabin 329 on Amalegro for august 19 sailing. More expensive than 31 day ocean cruise to South America! But YOLO and all that. Will continue posting on Roll call page for river cruisers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My sage advice is for Giverny; arrive early if you can.

When you arrive, do NOT go to Monet's house first, instead go around to your right and head for the bridge/gardens.

Do not go to the bridge but when you get into the gardens bear left so you can stand on one bridge and take pictures of the famous bridge over the water and water lilies.

Since you are going in August it might be crowded so if you can get to the bridge early you can take great pictures before the masses arrive. Then go to Monet's house and the gift shop.

Shop is pretty cool but will get slammed when the other buses arrive.

My sage advice is for Giverny; arrive early if you can.

When you arrive, do NOT go to Monet's house first, instead go around to your right and head for the bridge/gardens.

Do not go to the bridge but when you get into the gardens bear left so you can stand on one bridge and take pictures of the famous bridge over the water and water lilies.

Since you are going in August it might be crowded so if you can get to the bridge early you can take great pictures before the masses arrive. Then go to Monet's house and the gift shop.

Shop is pretty cool but will get slammed when the other buses arrive.

Also walk down the road tot he American Museum-most tours skip it but its well worth your while.

Carole

I am the researcher of our family and one of my favorite online sites is Frommers.com (I do massive amounts of research!!)

Here is an example: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/giverny/attractions/860942#sthash.yJBB2JuK.dpbs

Using Frommers for larger cities there are "walking tours" and maps that allow you to do it yourself. We are very much DIY, speeding up and slowing down as we wish. It also allows us to take the photos we want.

Rick Steves is also good for DIY as is Fodors and Tripadvisor.

If transportation is needed to get to the town, then we take the included ship's tour, tell the tour guide we will be leaving the group, and find out the time/location to meet the bus.

We will also take the ship's tour if it gives us admission to a place we really want to see.

Doing some research helps you decide whether you want to go to a cathedral, a museum, find an adult beverage and people watch, or perhaps decide that you can't stand the thoughts of yet another cathedral/museum and you look for that famous pastry shop!

Edited by cbb

• 2 weeks later...
I would go with GCCL. They include 10 days on the ships vs 7 for most others doing the Seine trip. Their trips are one way ... Paris to Honfluer or reverse. The ship, MS Bizet, holds only 120 passengers. It was built in 2002 but still feels new. I have been on 12 river cruises and this is by far my favorite.

I took this cruise in 2013 and had a wonderful time.