Solo Cruisers on Another Cruise Line

sail7seas

I just read the following post on another CC forum and thought it worthy of bringing here.

While I will cruise with friends on my first cruises as a solo, this certainly caught my attention.

If NCL can do this, why can't (doesn't) HAL?

What do solo cruisers think about it?

Of course, no one need participate in anything that doesn't interest them.

I too have recently been widowed and did not know if I could face a cruise on my own after having taken 18 cruises with my husband beside me.

I also found the single supplements put rather a damper on booking but then I came across Norwegian Cruise Line Epic who have had the inspiration to introduce studio cabins for people travelling alone. I was unable to get a studio cabin but managed to get a really good deal on a balcony cabin and the supplement was only £100!I believe a couple of their other ships also have these studio cabins. Epic is a huge ship but with the Studio Lounge area designated purely for those travelling alone it is great fun. Solo travellers would meet up in the Lounge each evening and the crew member assigned to us was superb. She would invite groups of us to join together for dinner, the shows or other entertainment and shore excursions. There was no pressure but it was lovely to meet up with others travelling alone. There was a mixed age range and I must say that the youngsters really looked after us oldies - even persuaded some of us to join them at the late night disco!!

I am still in contact with several of the people I met and there is every chance we will be meeting up on Epic again later this year.

I have written a review if you are interested and it can be found at

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/member...EntryID=257253

I hope you will soon find yourself confident enough to sail on your own.

Good Luck with your plans

Suron (Bristol,UK)

Edited by sail7seas

Sail, I'm not sure if you mean the studio cabins themselves, the NCL dedicated staff/crew member who serves as a sort-of host to solo cruisers, or the Studio Lounge. I happen to think they're all good ideas, particularly for those who are newly solo or uncomfortable sailing alone. As far as personal practicalities are concerned, I'd willingly pay a little more for a regular inside, I'm not the sort who'd be likely to avail myself of any hosted activities, but I could see myself hanging out in the Studio Lounge or grabbing snacks from there. As I understand it, only those passengers who are booked into studio cabins may use the Studio Lounge and participate in the activities coordinated by the Solo host.

There's no reason other cruise lines can't do the same thing, but perhaps they're not attracting solo cruisers in numbers sufficient to be worthwhile.

Most other cruise lines I've sailed advertise a solo gathering in the daily activities log at least once during a cruise, but I understand they're poorly attended. I've never gone to one, and don't know how they work.

I have been thinking of NCL for a long time for those cabins but haven't found the right time yet. You see good deals on regular cabins occasionally on most cruise lines, probably on cruises that are hard to sell.

Both RCI and NCL have studio cabins, but I've found that RCI's are usually more expensive than a regular cabin with a stiff single supplement, but NCL's studio prices usually seem pretty good.

I think 2 HAL ships have single cabins, Prinsendam and Konigsdam. Prinsendam's are outrageously expensive, usually come costly than the most expensive OV or inside cabins even with the supplement. My test booking on konigsdam seemed to suggest at the outset at least, the solo cabins were pretty reasonably priced. We'll have to see if that will prevail once they become more popular.

Roy

Ahh, The 'gift' of the solo Koningsdam cabins. :) They are not appealing in the least to my mind. Look where they stuffed them in. :eek:

It isn't just the solo cabin that interests me, it is more so an active hostess, a solo lounge etc While I likely will continue to sail in the Neptune Suites and have use of Neptune Lounge, it is not the same thing.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't think it would be my cup of tea to have a solos lounge, but who knows. I enjoy my alone time very much and tend to be quite shy with people I don't know. I don't have the gift of small talk but will gladly joint in if someone starts the conversation.

I don't think it would be my cup of tea to have a solos lounge, but who knows. I enjoy my alone time very much and tend to be quite shy with people I don't know. I don't have the gift of small talk but will gladly joint in if someone starts the conversation.

This will come as a huge shock I am sure :D :D but I'm a 'gabber/chatter/talker'.

I have looked at the solo "studio" cabins offered by NCL, and my observations are that they are quite small, even relative to the size of a normal inside cabin. Compared to HAL cabins, I think they would seem tiny.

Also:

1. They are all inside cabins

2. Most are connecting cabins (which I particularly don't like the idea of)

3. A lot of them have this strange one-way "porthole" window that looks out on the corridor

4. The bathroom set-up is strange; tiny shower and separate tiny compartment for toilet

My understanding is that unless you book a Studio cabin you do not have access to the Studio Lounge space.

All that said, if I wasn't personally opposed to ever sailing with NCL again, there is nothing about the studio cabins that would stop me booking them for a good deal on an itinerary that interested me. However, given your comments on the Koningsdam solo cabins, I'm surprised if they would interest you.

This will come as a huge shock I am sure :D :D but I'm a 'gabber/chatter/talker'.

I think most people would think I would be too because I have strong opinions:eek:. I'd love to have the gift of small talk. It just doesn't come easily to me.

My sister is 50 and sails often with our quite elderly parents. She always attends the "Singles" events on the various lines they've cruised (HAL, RCCL, NCL, X)

She is normally able to meet other folks who she often socializes with on board (especially after Dad & Mom are in for the night by 9pm) :D

Apparently there is a whole demographic of people who cruise with older family members and are looking for some outside company.

It probably comes down, right or wrong, to space allocations and revenue management.

I agree. I can't see HAL giving up space, and allocating a person, for anything that would be non-revenue-producing.

HAL usually offers a singles and solos lunch. I've attended a couple, and I know some people have connected and made arrangements for other activities, eg, on one sailing my friend, one of our dinner companions, and a few other ladies arranged to meet for pre-dinner cocktails a few nights. A good time was had by all :D

On most of my HAL cruises there are one or a few singles/solos events, either hosted or unhosted. On my recent cruise on November on the Prinsendam, I was quite surprised at the number of these events. They were all hosted, and were either a lunch, evening get together or afternoon tea get together. There were also times to meet if anyone was interested in leaving the ship together to go into port. As there were no children on our cruise, the person who was to work with the children hosted the singles/solos events. It was lovely for me, as I attended many of the events, and did find people to do activiities with on board and also go into the ports with them. However, this number of get togethers isn't usually the norm.

On most of my HAL cruises there are one or a few singles/solos events' date=' either hosted or unhosted. On my recent cruise on November on the Prinsendam, I was quite surprised at the number of these events. They were all hosted, and were either a lunch, evening get together or afternoon tea get together. There were also times to meet if anyone was interested in leaving the ship together to go into port. As there were no children on our cruise, the person who was to work with the children hosted the singles/solos events. It was lovely for me, as I attended many of the events, and did find people to do activiities with on board and also go into the ports with them. [b']However, this number of get togethers isn't usually the norm[/b].

You can say that again!

I certainly couldn't see HAL allocating extra personnel for the specific purpose of being a solos host. As it is, whether or not the singles/solos events are even hosted at all is a crapshoot. The first lunch I went to was hosted by the culinary hostess and was nice (even if she did talk about herself most of the time). The next one I attended on a subsequent cruise wasn't hosted at all, and we were just seated at a large table and left to our own devices. Fine for some people, but not for those of us who sometimes have difficulty breaking the ice.

I do like the concept, but I won't sail in one of NCL's cracker box studios.

Hello, note with NCL you can always participate in the Studio gatherings held every day even if you are not staying in a studio. I had a studio on one cruise but then upgraded to balconies on the next 2 as for $100-$200 it was worth getting the extra space and having more room to unpack

It sucks that I'm a solo cruiser absolutely, completely and stubbornly stuck on verandah rooms. Being an introvert, the idea of spending the afternoon on my beautiful, private, cozy little deck, reading the day away gazing out over the sparkling ocean is an idea that compels me to decide that paying the single supplement for that room was completely worth it.

But I kind of like the idea of having a group to attend shows or events or excursions with.

Sail, I always travel solo, and although I enjoy both NCL and HAL, I do not think that you would enjoy the studios on NCL, as they are very small, about 100 Sq Feet and all are inside cabins. As others have mentioned, you can get a different type of cabin and still enjoy the studio lounge if you are travelling as a solo. Although the solo cabins do not have a single supplement; many times I have found that I can get an inside cabin with more room, and still pay the supplement for solo, and have the price be less than what they are getting for the solo cabins. I know of others who prefer a balcony cabin and have found them to be a little higher than the solo cabins, so there are other options for you.

I do not care for the mega ships on which these solo cabins and the solo lounges are available so I have not sailed on any of the mega ships. NCL does not have solo lounges on their older and smaller ships, but I still prefer them over the mega ships.

I know that first solo trip for you since the loss of your husband will be a difficult one for you, so I hope you find some of your many friends on that first trip. Neil

Sail, I always travel solo, and although I enjoy both NCL and HAL, I do not think that you would enjoy the studios on NCL, as they are very small, about 100 Sq Feet and all are inside cabins. As others have mentioned, you can get a different type of cabin and still enjoy the studio lounge if you are travelling as a solo. Although the solo cabins do not have a single supplement; many times I have found that I can get an inside cabin with more room, and still pay the supplement for solo, and have the price be less than what they are getting for the solo cabins. I know of others who prefer a balcony cabin and have found them to be a little higher than the solo cabins, so there are other options for you.

I do not care for the mega ships on which these solo cabins and the solo lounges are available so I have not sailed on any of the mega ships. NCL does not have solo lounges on their older and smaller ships, but I still prefer them over the mega ships.

I know that first solo trip for you since the loss of your husband will be a difficult one for you, so I hope you find some of your many friends on that first trip. Neil

Thanks so much. Very helpful information.

You're right. I would not be happy with so little space. I know it should be adequate but I like to spend time in my cabin and would feel cramped. :o

I appreciate your help. :)

I looked at photos of Norwegian's solo cabins and decided that the shared lounge was probably put there because the solo cabins were the size of a shoebox!

it would give the solo pax a way to get out of their claustrophobic cabins!

I just sailed for seven nights in a studio on Norwegian Epic. I found the cabin to be well designed and quite roomy. Mirror placement, transparent shower, and disappearing edges at floor level all trick the eye. I had my own toilet in a separate compartment, a double bed, two closets. Lots of lighting options, including surround lighting at floor and ceiling level. It was the most interesting cabin I've ever had.

Norwegian includes them on all their new builds, so I must not be the only person who finds them appealing. I'm sure I will also enjoy my oceanview cabin on Maasdam, too.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

I also enjoyed the studios on NCL very much. I loved the lounge for sitting, relaxing, and the free cappuccino machine. I usually left when the gatherings take place. I'm not into big groups of people.

I am confused by the assumption that solos want to meet only other solos. I often find a couple that I hit it off with and spend time with them. Sometimes I find another solo or two, but it's just as often a couple.

I just read the following post on another CC forum and thought it worthy of bringing here.

While I will cruise with friends on my first cruises as a solo, this certainly caught my attention.

If NCL can do this, why can't (doesn't) HAL?

What do solo cruisers think about it?

Of course, no one need participate in anything that doesn't interest them.

I think it would be lovely if HAL would just post a notice in the program that singles can meet other singles at the Crows Nest, or piano bar, or similar, at a designated time before both dinner hours, and then join them at some designated tables for dinner. I often cruise alone, and I'm lucky enough to have made friends through the years that I feel welcomed to join, but if I knew no one for dinner, going to dinner alone is always the most daunting time for me. Once established each cruise, I'd think the group would become fast friends, and they'd continue to party or attend shows together into the night.

I also enjoyed the studios on NCL very much. I loved the lounge for sitting, relaxing, and the free cappuccino machine. I usually left when the gatherings take place. I'm not into big groups of people.

I am confused by the assumption that solos want to meet only other solos. I often find a couple that I hit it off with and spend time with them. Sometimes I find another solo or two, but it's just as often a couple.

I'm not sure where you got the idea solos only want to meet solos. I certainly would be happy to meet any congenial, pleasant people be them solo or not. :confused: As a new widow, I would probably benefit some from having the opportunity to chat with some ladies who have learned tricks and methods that work well for them traveling solo. I was a couple for 47 years and have lots to learn about now being a solo.

i think it would be lovely if hal would just post a notice in the program that singles can meet other singles at the crows nest, or piano bar, or similar, at a designated time before both dinner hours, and then join them at some designated tables for dinner. I often cruise alone, and i'm lucky enough to have made friends through the years that i feel welcomed to join, but if i knew no one for dinner, going to dinner alone is always the most daunting time for me. Once established each cruise, i'd think the group would become fast friends, and they'd continue to party or attend shows together into the night.

+1 :)

Royal Caribbean International's Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas will feature two categories of staterooms for solo travelers, with 28 dedicated "studio" cabins on each ship. The line currently offers three single-occupancy interior staterooms aboard the Radiance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas; each room has a twin bed, private bathroom and minifridge.

Special Extras: Sixteen interior studios aboard Quantum and Anthem will feature full-size beds and industry-first "virtual balconies": 80-inch floor-to-ceiling LED display screens that project live images of the ocean and ports.