Hawaii v Alaska

Nextholiday?

It certainly is a good quandary to have.

We have spent 6 weeks in a Hawaii timeshare and two weeks on an Alaska cruise/tour.

I would first do two weeks in Hawaii (consisting of, one week in Maui and one week in Kauai). Rent a timeshare and a car for exploring the beauty of both islands.

Although we loved Alaska, Hawaii would be my first choice.

You don't specify if you are talking about both as cruise. The Hawaiian cruise is completely different from Alaska. Sort of like the Caribbean and Europe. Hawaii is about the beach and sun, being warm. Alaska is about no beach, pray for sun but beautiful things to see! I have been both places and nothing takes the place of Hawaii That is just me. Alaska is beautiful beyond your imagination, yet, I would still choose HI!

Hawaii- I would NEVER do a cruise as I wouldn't have enough time on the islands! It is beautiful! (WARM)

Alaska- cruise was nice and it was a different beauty but would not recommend a cruise only, you need to spend sometime on land! Also very beautiful! (NOT WARM)

Have done both and would do them both again but

I have spent many weeks on Oahu and Maui with another week upcoming in May While I enjoyed the cruise, I think land based vacation is better for Hawaii.

With Alaska, looking forward to another cruise up there, but this time would do a few days in Denali combined with the cruise.

I love Hawaii but I would never ever take a cruise there. There is so much to do and see. The little time in port a cruise would allow would not be worth it. You need to get out, explore, take day trips, drive around, hike, snorkel, eat the food. Most people agree that visiting Hawaii without a car (other than Honolulu) is not a good idea. It's just not an ideal place to visit for a few hours on a cruise.

What was special about Hawaii is there are only 2 shots a year you get. Alaska... you get plenty of opportunities.

Our decision started with the thought that if we could swing an Alaska B2B to be able to fly in and out of the same airport, we could swing the dates for Hawaii.

I would do either cruise again in a heartbeat, probably Alaska more so just because on our cruise we did the British Columbia land tour and next time want to do Denali Park. Loved the Hawaii cruise that we were able to start in Honolulu and see the islands, one or two each day. If you can, put both on your bucket list. My two most favorite cruises to date are the Alaska and Hawaii trips. AWESOME.

We lived in Alaska for 3 years then moved to Hawaii for 4 (returned to the mainland 6 months ago) They're both fabulous destinations- if I could only experience 1 though I'd probably choose Alaska because its *so* different. HAwaii is heads and tales better than the Caribean I think, but its still palm trees, blue water, umbrella drinks.... Alaska is just an itinerary unlike any other.

Although I haven't been to Alaska, yet, I loved our cruise to Hawaii and wouldn't change it ever. It gave a taste of a few islands and then we spent time in Honolulu at the end. Then went back to Honolulu again a year later by plane. Will we go back to Hawaii, I hope so, and we also hope to do an Alaskan cruise in the future. DO BOTH. You will not be sorry.

Connie

We did both last year as a b2b starting in Hawaii, then teamed it up with a trip across the Rockies to Banff, down to Vegas then home (Australia). Both very different and unique in their own ways. That was a great trip if you can swing it. 😄

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd never been to Hawaii, so I thought a cruise was a good introduction to the island, sort of a sampler. I personally prefer Alaska (have done 3 cruises) because the scenery is more raw and dramatic and it's nice to get out of the heat and humidity of the South. But as someone already stated, what exactly is it that you're looking for in a vacation? For instance, if it's time on the beach, obviously Alaska isn't going to fulfill that need.

Roz

Done land trip and cruises to both places. I agree it depends upon what you want on your next trip. Both places offer beautiful scenery, but very different. Beaches won't be found in Alaska, glaciers won't be found in Hawaii. My pick would be Alaska next because the last time I was there was 2008 and since then I've visited several islands and warm sunny areas.

We've been on an Alaskan cruise (RT out of Seattle) once and on three Hawaiian cruises (RT out of LA). All very enjoyable. Loved the sea days on the Hawaiian cruises, especially with the cultural program that Princess has. We've also been to Hawaii twice on land trips so we've been able to sightsee during those times.

A Hawaiian cruise will give a sampler of each port so you'll know which islands you'll want to concentrate on for a longer stay.