Loved Princess, but what's with the drinks?

sstepson

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, with the Mojitos they used to muddle the mint and the lime together with the sugar syrup. Now they just throw a couple of limes in the glass, add a mint sprig and the mix. Not nearly as good.:(

My experience -- before the all inclusive package, they used to

muddle lime leaves, and make a proper mojito.

Once they offered the package, they switched to mix, so they

can slam the drinks out.

Was on the CB for 5-day in mid-January. My strawberry daiquiri at sail away was sickingly sweet. Used to be my favorite drink while on deck during the day...no more :( Friend we were with ordered a margarita several times but she said the mix was awful and tasted like lemonade. Switched to martinis in Crooners and wine with dinner. :)

On Emerald week of Jan. 18, I ordered Margaritas at the Elite/Suite lounge as the drink of the day on sailaway day. I sent them back as there was no alcohol in them at all, only a sickeningly sweet mix. Replacement was a shot of tequila with a glass of fresh lime juice. I never ordered anymore drinks the whole cruise. I just stuck with the mini bar setup in the suite and the wine brought onboard.

Here is what I noticed. The cheerful bartender will VIGOROUSLY shake an all alcohol mixed drink (manhattan straight up, for example) in an ice filled container (mixer). When he pours it into a glass it's extensively filled with water melted from the ice, thus a weak tasting drink!

Whether this is deliberately done to reduce the alcohol content required to fully fill the glass - ???????

I like their Manhattans and my wife likes their Margaritas but some of the other mixed drinks were awful. I'm not a Martini fan so haven't tried those. Ahh, to find a master of mixology who can provide the perfect drink! ;)

Here is what I noticed. The cheerful bartender will VIGOROUSLY shake an all alcohol mixed drink (manhattan straight up, for example) in an ice filled container (mixer). When he pours it into a glass it's extensively filled with water melted from the ice, thus a weak tasting drink!

Whether this is deliberately done to reduce the alcohol content required to fully fill the glass - ???????

Neat please.

On Island Princess Panama I ordered a Scotch before dinner. Waiter asked if I wanted a Double. I said 'No thanks - just about to have dinner' He said, 'How about a Double for $7.95' the single price - I thought I have to take you up on that. He ordered a Rob Roy with no Vermouth. So barman puts Scotch in in place of Vermouth :p

Oh my, that means skipping the top shelf margaritas (no doubt made with a margarita mix) and sticking with beer and wine!

Royal has a nice Margarita bar in back and they are much fresher. Dont remember cost and if they would be included in drink package.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

I had a similar feeling. I was excited to try many of the mixed drinks but I was very disappointed. I even commented to my husband that I was wondering if they were just letting the staff make up drinks like a contest before the season because the flavors just did not mix well at all.

I didn't have any problem with watered down drinks but the flavors were just odd and kind of...not good. :( My mint chocolate martini tasted like straight vodka, I ended up nursing it for over an hour and then giving up.

HOWEVER, I had an almond martini in the crown grill that was fantastic and the 24k gold margarita was fantastic! It was my go to drink. The margarita someone mentioned earlier was good too (I also got that at Skywalkers in the Suite reception prior to dinner as they did) but the 24k was great every time. Plus you were basically paying the same price for a more premium mix of liquor.

I had a similar feeling. I was excited to try many of the mixed drinks but I was very disappointed. I even commented to my husband that I was wondering if they were just letting the staff make up drinks like a contest before the season because the flavors just did not mix well at all.

I didn't have any problem with watered down drinks but the flavors were just odd and kind of...not good. :( My mint chocolate martini tasted like straight vodka, I ended up nursing it for over an hour and then giving up.

HOWEVER, I had an almond martini in the crown grill that was fantastic and the 24k gold margarita was fantastic! It was my go to drink. The margarita someone mentioned earlier was good too (I also got that at Skywalkers in the Suite reception prior to dinner as they did) but the 24k was great every time. Plus you were basically paying the same price for a more premium mix of liquor.

YES!! The 24K Margarita in Crooners was my daily later afternoon drink, and was always delish.

HOWEVER, the Bloody Mary's have definitely gone downhill. On our March 2012 cruise on the Sapphire I would get a Bloody Mary in the Plaza in the morning that was delicious. However, on our two Princess cruises in 2013 they were terrible. It seemed to be whatever concoction they added after the tomato juice, some brown liquid, that was to blame. Finally I started getting a glass with vodka, ice, and tomato juice, and then adding my own hot sauce that (Tabanero sauce that I had brought from home). Wasn't near as good as what they used to be, but definitely better than what they were serving at the time. SUCH a disappointment.