Select Dining - Table for 9 please?

misterjohnny

Multi-generational trip on the Summit at Easter, we are currently signed up for Select Dining.

Has anyone done Select with a group of nine or ten before? Do they have tables that big? Thanks for advice.

They would have to make one, but that's a tall order. Main Dining Room is not an option? There you can have a table in the ame place each evening waiting for you.

With Select, its not going to favorable for you to come on an any time basis and be able to be seated as you wish.

Unless you set the same exact interim time each night with the staff or with some well discussed advance planning and they agree to accommodate.

They truly are there to make your cruise great. Most will do just about anything you would want. However, a little cash-o-la helps everyone feel better about giving you the best location possible. So check what they first offer then provide a little incentive to move the position to the rail or window or wherever you prefer.

We were in a party of 11 on Solstice about 3 years ago and there was no problem with getting a table. In fact after the first night they kept the table set up and was always ready when we needed it. Not sure if that always happens or maybe the cruise wasn't very full but they can certainly set tables for larger groups.

Multi-generational trip on the Summit at Easter, we are currently signed up for Select Dining.

Has anyone done Select with a group of nine or ten before? Do they have tables that big? Thanks for advice.

They should be able to accomodate your request. even in the main dining room. You certainly NEED to give plenty of advance notice,however.

Normally we cruise with 4 to 6 people. In June we will have 9 in our group cruising the Eastern Med in June on Connie. Your ship should have 4 tables of 10 in the Select dining area. Select Dining is deck 5 aft starboard side. I'm planning on emailing my TA when I get back home next week to set up the Select dining times. She will link all 4 cabins together and make the reservations for each night. We normally do 6:30 and get the same table.

We were a party of 8 with select dining on the Solstice. Not only did we have no problems getting a large table (could accommodate 10), they gave us the same table and wait staff each evening no matter when we arrived. We usually made a reservation the when we left the dining room the night before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been at tables that large in Select several times. A reservation made early in the cruise is important. If you ask for the same table every night they can sometimes, but not always, accommodate you but be sure to let them know ASAP if your group will be a smaller size or not dine in the MDR on a given night.

I'll also say that a table that large is a mixed blessing. It is very nice to have everyone at the same table but it also makes conversation more difficult with a group and a table that large: Too many people to participate in a single conversation. With a round table it may be too wide to talk with someone across the table and with a square/oval table it is too long to participate in conversation with those towards the other end.

Normally we cruise with 4 to 6 people. In June we will have 9 in our group cruising the Eastern Med in June on Connie. Your ship should have 4 tables of 10 in the Select dining area. Select Dining is deck 5 aft starboard side. I'm planning on emailing my TA when I get back home next week to set up the Select dining times. She will link all 4 cabins together and make the reservations for each night. We normally do 6:30 and get the same table.

A question asked purely out of interest, but if you want the same table at 6.30pm every night, why not early dining?

Edited by Killington

Agree with several of the commenters. we've travelled with a group of 9 and a group of 11. The eleven (mulit-generation family) was definitely a challenge because the large tables are for 10 - but we agreed to squeeze into a table for 10 and they accommodated us.

I think the thing that made it doable was that we agreed to a set time for select dining every night. When we were going to be late we warned them in advance. We also had the same servers every night.

We find early dining is too early - and late dining too late. We like a time right in the middle and anytime dining affords us that opportunity. It does make it a bit harder to make it to the shows as they are geared to fit into the scheduled dining times.

[quote=Lsimon;45284178

I'll also say that a table that large is a mixed blessing. It is very nice to have everyone at the same table but it also makes conversation more difficult with a group and a table that large: Too many people to participate in a single conversation. With a round table it may be too wide to talk with someone across the table and with a square/oval table it is too long to participate in conversation with those towards the other end.

I fully agree that conversation is hampered. Also, service is much slower than if you divided up into two smaller tables. We have done that with large groups several times, and simply switch tables as desired.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

A question asked purely out of interest, but if you want the same table at 6.30pm every night, why not early dining?

MDR times are normally 6:00 or 6:15, and sometime 5:45. 6:30 gets us in just after the rush. We like going to the Captian's Club event before dinner.

We did it some years back, with 12. The kids sat at the far end of the table. We had the same table, same waiters, same time each night. Well, it was on Royal Carribean.

This past Christmas, had the same 12. Late dining, so same waiters. Kids were old enough this time so we just all moved chairs around every night, except for son-in-law who had a wheel chair. He got the end of the table every night.

Worked out just fine.