Need shoe advice from experienced Alaska cruise ladies

bothluv2cruise

Hi, I have no problems packing for caribbean cruises however I am going on my first cruise to Alaska on May 22nd :)

I have read all the information I have found regarding dressing and understand layers is the way to go but I am stumped when it comes to shoes! I usually pack many sandals, topsiders, etc but I usually drive to the port (live in South Fl), not fly as in this case so I know I am limited to what I can take.

What kind of shoes have you ladies taken that work best? I own a pair of snow boots but I am not sure is that would be overkill.

All advice/ tips would be welcome!!

I bought a pair of Merrell waterproof hikers before my Alaskan cruise last year. I love them. My feet stayed dry and warm, even on the day we had heavy rain for our whale watching excursion and trip to Mendenhall glacier. I have been wearing them a lot at home too - it's been cold but we haven't had enough snow to bother with boots.

On the ship I wore regular runners, and dressy sandals at night with skirts and dresses.

Edited by Daisyloo

Watch the weather reports. Sometimes it's T-shirt and Capri weather.

Be careful with waterproof shoes as they cause feet to sweat.

We brought a pair sneakers, dress shoes and a pair of sandals.

We bought more shoes at the Nordstrom Rack in Seattle.

I have a pair of Ariat hiking boots. We walked a lot in Alaska and they helped support my ankles. I sprayed they with waterproofing before we left and they stayed dry in the rain. They are very light weight. I wore them on the plane and packed a pair of sneakers, a pair of sandals for casual night and dressy sandals for formal nights. I also packed a pair of croc sandals for the pool. (Royal Caribbean has an indoor pool)

The recommendation to spray your shoes with waterproof shoe spray is a good one. Your shoes will repel the water if you are in port on a rainy day. Any style of athletic/trainer shoe that feels comfortable for extended walking will be a good choice. They'll work for you in all kinds of weather - cold or warm, wet or dry.

Also, it's important that your shoe of choice have some tread on the soles. Some of the ports have wooden sidewalks and dock areas that are slippery when wet. Hiking boots aren't really necessary unless you plan to do serious wilderness hiking. Consider investing in a pair of Smartwool socks - no cushion or light cushion that will fit easily into your shoes. They'll keep your feet warm even if you get wet.

Be careful with waterproof shoes as they cause feet to sweat.

Buy goretex. Waterproof AND breathable. Best thing in the world. There are lots of other water resistant fabrics that breathe too. Clothing made from Schoeller AG fabric - oh my! Technical fabrics these days are NOT uncomfortable! My husband has these Outlier OG pants and I love them - I really want a woman's version but haven't wanted to pay the price. Ah well. There *are* options that will work for people.

My Sept Alaska cruise (with pre-vacation visiting family outside Fairbanks) I had 3 pairs of shoes - goretex hiking shoes (not boots- shoes - because I knew we wouldn't be doing more than a few miles of hiking and the shoes were great), black Privo mary janes flats (great for walking on the warmer days, and for casual nights) and a pair of black low-heeled sandals for formal nights and a couple of the casual nights as well.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

Take good fitting sneakers, (well-broken in, too) but not Keds-type because those are too light weight. Be ready to walk.

I had a pair of leather New Balance with excellent arch support that served me well when our float plane landed on the lake outside of Misty Fjords and we had to scramble around the lake's shores.

The helicopter tour of the glaciers loaned everyone boots with spikes.

I did not take my own boots for our Sept. Alaska cruise. We had gorgeous weather (1 day of rain in 10)….how lucky!

PS…do take a pair of pretty shoes for evenings on board :)

We have done 5 Alaska cruises, all 7 night cruises from Vancouver, and all during the month of May, which in my opinion is the best month weather wise in Alaska! It doesn't seem as rainy as during summer months , and most times we have had it sunny and warm enough to enjoy the pool.

After each cruise I review the list of what I packed, see what I can leave out next time and what I should add. I always come back to the same conclusion regarding footwear! This works!

1. 1 pair of sensible, good quality walking shoes, or good quality running shoes

2. 1 pair of black patent dress shoes

3. 1 pair of low, comfy sandals

The running shoes are for going ashore, and shore excursions, the dress shoes for evening wear, and the comfy sandals to wear during the day aboard ship and to/from the pool, spa. I really love ECCO sandals and running shoes- so comfy and great support. Also Mephisto, Saucony, and Rockport.

That's it!

Put any snowboots, hiking boots, and heavy wool socks back in your closet! It's not the Arctic! LOL

It may not be the arctic but if you are from the south where the coldest it gets is in the 40s with an occasional freeze it can seem very cold at times in Alaska. The day we cruised the glacier I thought it was very cold and had on gloves, hat, scarf, long underwear, warm shirt, and my warm coat 2 pairs of socks and my hiking boots. That kept me warm enough along with the coffee and schnapps to enjoy the day.

Thanks!!! I really appreciate your responses, they have been very helpful!!!

I can't wait for May!

I am going 2 weeks before you:D...May 8th.......it will be my 4th

time to Alaska but it has been a few years since my last cruise there.

I would say to make sure you check the weather about a week or 10

days before you leave......it will help to give you a better idea of the

temps:).......