Do you have a favorite "on-shore" bag?

murfturf

Saw a Travelon bag in the suitcase section at Target yesterday! Didn't examine it too closely, but looked like a good option.

I found a smaller Bagalinni at TJ Maxx, so now to fill with my stuff and do a trial run with it. I returned the Big Sydney Bag - too big!

If you decide to go the Baggalini route...TJ Maxx (at least the one I go to here in CA) has a whole new shipment of them in a variety of colors and sizes and the prices can't be beat. I'm thinking of buying one that I saw that's a burgundy color and has three zippered pockets on the outside...it's a cross body. I have several Baggalini bags in a variety of colors and sizes. I like them because they are lightweight and easy to pack. I just bought a wallet ($3.99) and a long credit card holder that has a strap that snaps over the credit cards to keep them from sliding out ($5.99) both in black. There are two Baggalini items I'd never come across before. Can't wait to use them on my next trip.:)

Edited by mousey

TJ Maxx has some great Baggalini bags, but check out the zippers before you buy. Some are really tough and awkward and can snag nails and clothing. My last Baggalini bag that I took on an Alaska cruise soaked up the rain even though it was just a "light sprinkle" that day. Everything inside the bag got wet. Not good.

I also purchase travel bags from 6pm.com. It's a closeout/sale website affiliated with Zappos. Their merchandise is always changing so it is good to frequently check your favorite brands.

I do like some of the Haiku crossbody bags with nice styling and colors. They're a bit more trendy than some of the Baggalinis. Zappos has a good selection.

I have several Travelon cross-body bags. I like the ones for traveling that have the theft proof strap and locks for the zippers. I also like that they are washable, so when they get soiled I can just throw them in the washer and hang to dry. Carries everything that I need for vacation and I also use one for every day around town. The newer ones even have pockets with the RIFD pockets to keep your credit cards safe from scammers.

Last year I invested in a small Vera Bradley backpack. While not theft-proof by any means, it holds everything I need for a day on an excursion. tTe print also makes it hard to lose or forget. I also like that it is washable.

Sigh. I'm still looking!

I wore my Baggallini to the rodeo today - a test run! And while it held all I wanted it to the rough edge of the web strap just won't do it for me. It made the knit shirt I wore pill up, all along the edge of the webbing was turquoise blue remnants from my shirt! I wear a knit or a chiffon type shirt mostly and I am afraid it will ruin them! I did read about the "sharp" edge of these bags.

I think a travelon or ebags is my next try. I loved my fossil canvas, I wonder if I should just get another one.

Thanks for all the input.

Pacsafe bags have a covered edge of the strap. My ebags Piazza bag does not and I have problems with it - I asked here last year and was recommended many things to try (because I love the bag otherwise) I ended up buying some padded strap covers from Timbuk2 (I got black, b&w herringbone, and turquoise). If you didn't love the bag, go ahead and swap for something new - but if you have a bag you love and just need strap covers, I'm in love with the timbuk2 options!

See if you can find any Sherpani bags where you live and see if the straps on those bags meet your needs. The straps on the bags aren't the nylon webbing, but cotton webbing. I find mine very comfortable and don't see any of the pilling or sharp edges the nylon straps have. I would also say to try a Kipling bag. Both of these brands are good quality and don't scream "I'm a tourist", so you can use them at home, too.

• 2 weeks later...
I have several Travelon cross-body bags. I like the ones for traveling that have the theft proof strap and locks for the zippers. I also like that they are washable, so when they get soiled I can just throw them in the washer and hang to dry. Carries everything that I need for vacation and I also use one for every day around town. The newer ones even have pockets with the RIFD pockets to keep your credit cards safe from scammers.

Last year I invested in a small Vera Bradley backpack. While not theft-proof by any means, it holds everything I need for a day on an excursion. tTe print also makes it hard to lose or forget. I also like that it is washable.

Thanks for talking about travelon, I had been researching and researching (reading this thread over and over) this post got me looking at them Got my new Travelon anti-theft react tote today (Ebay half-price). I was looking for a shoulder tote that would get me through Europe next month without DH. I got plain black which is a little dull (it does come in colors), but the size is exactly what I wanted - bigger then a big purse. Padded shoulder straps, organization like crazy - water bottle spot on outside. Room for everything, folding cane, umbrella, light jacket or sweater. Locking zippers, etc. Been playing with it and I think it will be perfect (for anyone looking for more of a tote size) - only bad sides that I am seeing beyond it not really being fashionable, it is a little heavy due to all the anti-theft stuff.

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread!

Tammy

My favorite travel cross body bag is the "Overland Equipment Donner Bag."

http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/donner-shoulder-bag/280031?productid=10321650

I bought mine on clearance at REI. I love the side pockets for water bottles (or whatever you want to put in there...I think it accommodates up to a wine bottle)...but when you don't have anything in those pockets...they hang flat. And I love how there are two. It has all the pockets you could want to make things easy to access as well as the decent carrying capacity of the main compartment.

This is closer to the one I have...and more reviews:

http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/donner-shoulder-bag/140202?productid=10300070

Edited by Anita Latte

I bought a black travelon that I love and it will get used for future trips - it would be perfect for Europe!

However, at our local travel store I found the perfect one for me, on sale! A Kipling Alvar in Graphic Pop print. It's gray with lots of colors, abstract print. Tons of room but lightweight. So happy that after all my shopping and returns I now have two I love!

Glad this thread had helped! :)

I borrowed a Baggalini once, and was very disappointed that it didn't even seem water resistant. So, shopped around a bit before my next big trip. I like the idea of a backpack, but feel like these are less secure (prone to pick-pockets?), so elected to go with a crossbody instead.

Nobody here has mentioned Vera Bradley, so I'll tell you about the bag I bought: it's called a Tablet Hipster

Here's why I like it: it's big enough for a slim wallet, passports/documents, lipstick, compact, keys, sunglasses and a bit more. AND it still lays flat! Even if you aren't carrying around a tablet (it fits my Samsung 10.1) you can carry a small notepad and pen in the front pocket. The zipper keeps everything inside secure. I loved this bag when I was in Costa Rica for 2 weeks last year.

I did recently purchase a Sak black-leather crossbody (great deal at http://www.costco.com/The-Sak-Black-Leather-Crossbody-.product.100139057.html]Costco). I like it for everyday use, but the strap is cloth/canvas (very soft however), and I feel like it's easily cut so probably not secure as a travel bag... can't decide if it'll go on my next cruise or not.

HTH

PS = LOVE all the great suggestions here, but my pocketbook doesn't!

Edited by catydid

Right now on Amazon, they have quite a few travel bags (Sherpani, Baggalini, and others) that are 20% off with the code 20SPRBREAK.

Go to the clothing section, and there's a link to all of the Spring Break deals on the left-hand side toward the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...