Manicure: Before Boarding or Onboard

Smilefy

Do you get your nails done before boarding or onboard the ship at the spa? Or both!

I usually get my nails done beforehand as it is considerably cheaper, but one year after swimming in salt water my manicure turned my nails grey. It was a strange experience. So we booked an appointment at the spa salon aboard the ship and I got the generic-branded shellac done and it looked great. The girl said it would last for a week, but it was more like three.

I do my own nails BEFORE getting on the ship. My regular nail polish lasts a week on a cruise, since I'm not really doing anything other than drinking! No paper work to scrape the polish off the ends of my nails, no dishes, no scrubbing, etc...

I do bring the color polish to "touch up" if needed...but I usually can't be bothered. No way I'd pay the prices onboard.

They'll remove the shellac, but be prepared for an extra $25 to remove it. I do my own (traditional) manicure at home, but will get a shellac manicure on board if I have enough OBC

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DH & I both get Mani's and Pedi's the day before we leave home. Then we go to Red Lobster for dinner. It's part of our pre cruise ritual. The one time we skipped Red Lobster my DH was being admitted to a San Diego hospital as the ship was pulling out of port. Never skipped it again. :D

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

My DH & I both get Mani's and Pedi's the day before we leave home. Then we go to Red Lobster for dinner. It's part of our pre cruise ritual. The one time we skipped Red Lobster my DH was being admitted to a San Diego hospital as the ship was pulling out of port. Never skipped it again. :D

Mary Lou

Don't mess around with rituals!

I always have mine done before. Don't want to waste any ship time waiting for polish to dry.

Does anyone know how they remove the shellac? Is it soaking (remover wet cotton covered with foil) or is scrapping? A nail salon I went to ONCE insisted on scrapping it off and really ruined my nails.

Also, is it pretty standard that they charge to remove it even if you are paying for a new shellac manicure? Seems pretty expensive to charge for both in one manicure.

Thanks for an info. If it helps, I will be on HAL, Ryndam.

Thanks again!

K

Does anyone know how they remove the shellac? Is it soaking (remover wet cotton covered with foil) or is scrapping? A nail salon I went to ONCE insisted on scrapping it off and really ruined my nails.

Also, is it pretty standard that they charge to remove it even if you are paying for a new shellac manicure? Seems pretty expensive to charge for both in one manicure.

Thanks for an info. If it helps, I will be on HAL, Ryndam.

Thanks again!

K

Remove by soaking in acetone. You may have to sit there fore awhile and your nails will be weak just after, but minimal scraping will be needed.

I find the salt, sand and chlorine are touch on a mani. Under the best of circumstance, I will get 5 days out of shellac. On a cruise it's even less.

Quick dry top coats these days are so fast, that I don't find it a problem to do my own nails. I will sit in the cabin or on my balcony and in the time I've had a glass of wine, my nails are dry. I usually bring one two colours with me, and change every day. I bring the remover pads you can buy from any drug store and Seche Vite - best quick dry on the market.

I always get a pedi before my trip and that seems to last through the cruise and beyond!

mani/pedi combo the day before we leave, along with any other salon based grooming that may need to be done. I feel like vacation starts as I'm getting my foot/leg massage :D

DH and I usually get a massage that evening as well. That's our routine prior to just about any "big" vacation (something more substantial than a weekend at the lake etc).

We have talked about getting massages the night we get home though, kind of a relax back into real life ritual....maybe I can talk him into both?

Always get a shellac pre=cruise but not too far ahead - typically lasts 2-3 weeks...and yes they do charge to have it removed (had mine redone on a 3 week holiday).

It's my pedicure that doesn't last!!! Last couple of times after one beach day - the sand/rocks, etc cause major chipping which looked awful. I of course cruise with a bottle to touch up toes - but I am considering shellac for my toes next time I cruise to I don't have to worry about this happening!

I like to have mine done beforehand at the salon I like. On the World Voyage last year I needed a pedicure along the way and had it done on the ship. It was a very basic pedi (no hot towels/rocks, leg/foot message and very little choice of polish color). It also cost about twice what I pay at home.