Minor Daylight Savings & Ship's Time vs Port Time Question

rpb718

I'm on the Sun in March after daylight savings has been changed in the US doing the western route to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We leave from Tampa, and have a sea day prior to the first stop in Roatan. Roatan (and Belize) only observe CST all year. If I've calculated correctly, this means that between Tampa and Roatan we would need to move our watches back 2 hours.

My question was, with a sea day between the time we leave Tampa and the time we are in Roatan, and with it being a 2 hour difference, would NCL have us change our clocks 1 hour for the sea day and then 1 hour again for the next day when we are in Roatan or would we do the 2 hours change all at once?

Your steward will leave a card in your room the night before whenever the ship is making a time zone change. They'll usually do it the night before you dock but if it's two hours they might change one hour on a sea day.

Which means we can't tell you what they'll do -- but it won't be a surprise.

Usually the ship stays on the time zone from which it left. So if you leave from Florida ports you stay on Eastern time throughout the cruise. Here's a great site to figure out exactly what time you're arriving: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Eight cruises on 5 lines and we have switched times on every single one.

They will leave a card.

As to the OP question. It is an interesting and unique one, I would guess they would adjust the 2 hours the night before Roatan.

When we have been on cruises with a two hour time change between ports with a sea day in between, we have changed the clocks back one hour at a time over two nights.

The same thing will happen if there are two hours between the last port and the home port with a sea day in between. The clock will go forward one hour each night.

Usually the ship stays on the time zone from which it left. So if you leave from Florida ports you stay on Eastern time throughout the cruise. Here's a great site to figure out exactly what time you're arriving: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

No...NCL almost always changes to local port time, as most cruise lines I've traveled on have done on most itineraries.

I say most because even on NCL, there were two cruises where there was no change to local time at one or more ports of call on the itinerary.

When we have been on cruises with a two hour time change between ports with a sea day in between, we have changed the clocks back one hour at a time over two nights.

Thanks. I was hoping NCL would handle it this way but just wanted to make sure.

A ship will be on whatever is the local port time - DST included.

Time changes if any are done at sea between ports.

With most ships when the cabin steward does the evening turn down service

a notice of up coming time change will be posted/placed in view in your cabin.

All the planned activities including shore excursions will factor the local time.

There are not a lot of clocks on board a ship due to changing the times can be

a time consuming task (pardon the play). Most all cruise liners of size have an

in cabin TV with a channel designated for time and other navigation data.

Very simple use the TV clock in the morning to set your watch for the time

zone of the day and remember to double check the time of the ships departure.

Not all ships change to local time in all ports.

Had a real headache on my recent CCL Breeze cruise, stressing on getting off the ship in order to meet the excursion I'd booked. That is, until we were unable to tender off the ship and missed the port entirely. :cool:

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Frankly did not really read other comments. We cruised the Oct/Nov 2104 Jade Med cruise and I remember distinctly that although the time changed in one of the port/country we were in, we did not change our clocks since I believe it was going to change again. So:

1) Ship's time, ship's time, ship's time.

2) Notice will be on TV, newsletter, announced, and sign at the exit to the ship. Follow ship's time.

3) Ask before you exit if you still have questions. Ship's time.