Chefs Table and Food Allergy question...

BTwurddle

My other half and I will be on Caribbean Princess in December and are looking forward to dinner one evening at the Chefs Table. My concern is that my other half is very allergic to saltwater shellfish i.e. lobster, shrimp, scallops, oysters ect. It is a contact allergy and typically only comes into play if he actually consumes it. I understand the Chefs Table menus are not typically presented in advance but does anyone have experience with this situation? Can it be accommodated with advance notice? Very interested if anyone has any insight.

With advance notice they will usually accommodate, either by substitution, or at least an advisory to avoid a given item.

My other half and I will be on Caribbean Princess in December and are looking forward to dinner one evening at the Chefs Table. My concern is that my other half is very allergic to saltwater shellfish i.e. lobster, shrimp, scallops, oysters ect. It is a contact allergy and typically only comes into play if he actually consumes it. I understand the Chefs Table menus are not typically presented in advance but does anyone have experience with this situation? Can it be accommodated with advance notice? Very interested if anyone has any insight.

I thought I read somewhere that you were advised not to book the Chef's table if you have certain allergies. I am very allergic to shellfish, and even if something I eat touches shrimp, etc. (like other food, serving utensils), my throat can start closing up. I'm not interested in the Chef's Table, so I haven't paid attention to any updates.

My Wife and I have done the chef table twice, Our last time will be my wife's last time due to they knew of her allergies with seafood and shell fish and we saw the waiters put the lobster tail on the plates first and with the same gloves and than touched and plated the steak. Glad we saw it and notified the head waiter. The other waiters got a chewing in front of us but you would think my wife was not the only one with allergies and for the price you pay. Our first time the Chef was great every time there were treats or fish he had made her something special on the side waiting for here she was treated like royalty. Too bad that will be the last for her. Just sharing our expierence.

...they knew of her allergies with seafood and shell fish and we saw the waiters put the lobster tail on the plates first and with the same gloves and than touched and plated the steak. Glad we saw it and notified the head waiter...

Unfortunately, many food handlers just don't seem to "get it" unless they or someone close to them has serious allergies :(.

In the invitation they tell you not to book if you have allergies, but in practice, if they can they will work with you.

I thought I read somewhere that you were advised not to book the Chef's table if you have certain allergies. I am very allergic to shellfish' date=' and even if something I eat touches shrimp, etc. (like other food, serving utensils), my throat can start closing up. I'm not interested in the Chef's Table, so I haven't paid attention to any updates.[/quote']

I thought I read somewhere that you were advised not to book the Chef's table if you have certain allergies. I am very allergic to shellfish' date=' and even if something I eat touches shrimp, etc. (like other food, serving utensils), my throat can start closing up. I'm not interested in the Chef's Table, so I haven't paid attention to any updates.[/quote']

I believe I came across the same advisory. I also have a shellfish allergy. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. All I need is a minuscule drop (transferred by utensils, hands, etc) and I am done for. Each exposure can increase the reaction response. Why take the risk?

I've done the Chef's Table three times with a serious-to-life-threatening crustacean allergy. Each time we've reserved I've mentioned it, and added that I'm fine with just skipping the deadly parts (my DH loves Crustacea and I'd hate to deprive him).

Each time, we've been very graciously accommodated. The maitres d'hotel have been very hospitable and asked excellent questions and assured me it was no burden. I wasn't so sure the first time: the menu was entirely crustacean-free and I was pretty upset that I had wrecked it for everyone else. A day or two after our dinner, another CC member published their trip report with a menu copy - no crustaceans. Two other reviews followed in the weeks after. I was pretty sure after seeing them that this particular EC just doesn't like crustaceans much. ;0)

The other times, the meal has not been crustacean-free, but they have either prepared me an alternative dish or served the crustaceans on the side.

I dine out constantly; I do a lot of prix fixe / table d'hôte / tasting menus and I can honestly say Princess is exceptionally hospitable and proficient in handling food allergy, but never more so than at the Chef's Table. They honestly want to dazzle guests in my experience.

I believe I came across the same advisory. I also have a shellfish allergy. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. All I need is a minuscule drop (transferred by utensils, hands, etc) and I am done for. Each exposure can increase the reaction response. Why take the risk?

Sort of what I was thinking...I don't have any food allergies, but I don't think I'd take a chance on something optional like the Chef's table.

Given the attention paid to preparation, you are probably less likely to see an issue with cross contamination at the Chef's Table then you would under mass production.

Sort of what I was thinking...I don't have any food allergies, but I don't think I'd take a chance on something optional like the Chef's table.