One month left on passport?

niklynn1

It might be worthwhile to point out the person who experienced the 6 month passport rule is not a US citizen and was not on a closed loop rule cruise. That poster is from the UK and seems to have most recent experience on the P&O line, so the experience is more likely relevant to someone of similar circumstances.

Edited by cherylandtk

This means that no one was allowed to board without a passport? They were not allowing anyone to use only a BC and DL? Must have been a cruise that including a place like Brazil.

Second, I think there is someone from Homeland Security at the port when boarding that would have the final say and not the cruise company.

No, it was with P&O, part of Carnival Co, on a Med cruise out of the UK. There's no closed loop deal out of the UK, as almost everyone has a passport from being a baby.

You're wrong. The cruise lines are required at a minimum to enforce the requirements for each country on the itinerary, but they are permitted to create their own requirements that go beyond the legal minimum. For example, it's not uncommon for upscale and luxury cruise lines ( Azamara and Regent are examples) to require passports of all passengers, even US citizens on a closed loop cruise departing from a US port, where DHS rules only require an official birth certificate and ID. Those requirements are stated on the cruise lines' websites and in their passenger ticket contracts. In other cases, cruise lines require all passports to have 6 months remaining validity, even if none of the countries on the itinerary actually require it. It's pretty common for airlines to also require 6 months remaining passport validity for passengers, even if it's technically not required of the destination country.

DHS has no say in the matter, and they have no authority to overrule the cruise lines' requirements.

Could you supply a link to where Azamara requires a passport for a closed loop cruise to Caribbean ports?

I thought it was only International travel where the 6 month rule applied.

Just to clarify, stopping in Canada does make it "International Travel." The issue with Passport expiration dates depends on the countries that you are visiting. Some countries, like Canada, accept a valid Passport with no regard to the future expiration date. But other countries impose their own rules sometimes requiring 3 or 6 months validity to a Passport of anyone entering their country. While some countries do differentiate between entry on a cruise ship (such as Turkey) others make no distinction. Since DW and I do travel to many different countries we have learned to simply renew our Passports so that we never have to be concerned with the "6 month rule" imposed by some countries. For holders of USA Passports here is a link to an easy to follow article (and list of countries) on this topic:

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-rule/

Hank

Could you supply a link to where Azamara requires a passport for a closed loop cruise to Caribbean ports?

It was stated in the most recent brochure I received from them...a couple of months ago. My recollection is that it's a relatively new policy. I can't find a website link for the policy, but I also can't find a link that states you don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise. All the mass market cruise lines specifically provide that information in the documentation FAQs on their sites. Azamara say nothing specific about requirements for any itinerary on their website.

I can give you a link for Regent Seven Seas, which proves my point that some cruise lines require a passport for all itineraries. Regent won't even permit use of a passport card, and your passport must have 6 months remaining validity:

http://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/before-you-sail/

WHAT IS YOUR POLICY ON PASSPORTS AND VISAS?

The latest information regarding passports and visas for U.S. and Canadian residents can be viewed here. It is the policy of Regent Seven Seas Cruises to require passports for ALL travelers for all voyages, regardless of guests' nationality and ports of call and countries visited. You must obtain and carry a valid passport to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises vessel. Passport Cards or a copy of a passport are not accepted. Passports must be valid for six months beyond the conclusion of your cruise. Please obtain or renew your passports early. Consult your travel professional or customs authority for documentation requirements for your cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

All the people on this site that say all you need is a Birth Certificate and Driver License for a closed loop cruise to and from a US port are wrong?

Also, for those that say Regent and Azamara require a passport on a closed loop cruise from US port please prove this.

Neither Regent or Azamara has one, so your references are not good ones. Or show me a closed loop cruise on either of these. I will then call and verify that a passport is required.

Show me where any of the major lines that actually do closed loop cruises require a passport.

All the people on this site that say all you need is a Birth Certificate and Driver License for a closed loop cruise to and from a US port are wrong?

Also, for those that say Regent and Azamara require a passport on a closed loop cruise from US port please prove this.

Neither Regent or Azamara has one, so your references are not good ones. Or show me a closed loop cruise on either of these. I will then call and verify that a passport is required.

Show me where any of the major lines that actually do closed loop cruises require a passport.

I've provided a link and direct quote from Regent proving that their company policy requires a passport with 6 months remaining validity for all their cruises, regardless of the passenger's nationality or the cruise itinerary.

I can also provide information from Princess, a mass market line, proving that they require passports of all guests if only one adult 21 or over is accompanying minors on a cruise. I won't bother providing the link or the quote from their website because I assume you'll also choose to disbelieve that.

If you choose not to believe the information provided it's your problem.

Edited by njhorseman

See post # 33 provided specifically for you. Taken directly from the Amazara website. I am also a Regent cruiser and know from experience that Regent made the decision several years ago to impose a stricter policy and require passports of All guests...

Copied directly from the Regent Website after logging into "My Account" for booked passengers.

What is your policy on passports and visas?

A: It is the policy of Regent Seven Seas Cruises to require passports for ALL travelers for all voyages, regardless of guests' nationality and ports of call and countries visited. Passports must be valid for six months beyond the conclusion of your cruise. Please obtain or renew your passports early. Consult your travel professional or customs authority for documentation requirements for your cruise.all passengers.

Edited by JVilleGal

Donray has been a CC member for awhile. So all I can assume is he/she, sorry did not look to see if a gender was posted, is just wanting to start something or what. Seeing as the answer to the question was posted after and before the question was asked.

Donray has been a CC member for awhile. So all I can assume is he/she, sorry did not look to see if a gender was posted, is just wanting to start something or what. Seeing as the answer to the question was posted after and before the question was asked.

Some posters just seem to enjoy being confrontational... Each to their own.

As to this thread, when it comes to the legal documents required to board your ship, I would strongly suggest first check with your cruise line and then with the U.S. govt site:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english.html

If there appears to be a discrepancy, go back to your cruise line and clarify.

Some cruise lines do require a stricter interpretation of the U.S. Govt guidelines. Though I have only experienced this on two cruise lines and never on the big mainline cruise lines. Remember rules and requirements can change.

Do not necessarily believe all the information given here on Cruise critic, no matter how well meaning the poster is.

Safe Journeys!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

...Neither Regent or Azamara has one, so your references are not good ones. Or show me a closed loop cruise on either of these. I will then call and verify that a passport is required...
Others have provided the cruiseline policy website links, which I won't repeat. Regent offers RT 10 day cruises out of Miami on the Navigator. The next ones are Feb. 6,16 and 26. Please do call and confirm their passport policy if it will set your mind at ease. If you wish to check with Azamara, they do fewer closed loop cruises, but they do them at least once or twice a season; the next is scheduled for Dec. 12 on the Journey, RT out of Miami.