Campaign for Warmer Swimming Pools.

Whhat temperature would you like the pools to be at ?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Whhat temperature would you like the pools to be at ?

• I would like the Pools to be Warmer
    • I like the Pools at the temperature they are now.
    • I prefer my pool to be colder than they are now.

The seawater pools have water that is changed frequently. If they were to be heated, they would have to use a lot of extra energy and add more chlorine. I don't think anyone wants more chemical exposure than they already have.

Just an aside.;):)Sea/salt water actually produces chlorine which is far less smelling/irritating than non-natural chlorine. I don't think they will not be adding lots more chemically produced chlorine. Many people are even choosing salt water systems for their home pools.

Accept the fact that nothing is going to change as far as the water temperature of the pools....the only pools heated on ships are the hot tubs. The main pools are not and not equipped from what I understand to be heated. A dear friend who only likes water temp in the upper 80's once asked the pool maintenance workers.

I had a pool when we lived in NJ, and it was fine to me to open the pool and be swimming in it during the first weekend, and typically the water would be no higher than the upper 60's or very low 70's....but it was a sign of summer.

The biggest problem with low water temperatures, is then there generally are accompanying winds and clouds which makes for an uncomfortable feeling when you get out of the pool, until you can dry off a bit. But it isn't any more comfortable getting out of the hot tub with its' temperature in the upper 90's. Step out of the hot tub and be chilled by the wind and cloudy sky.

Bright sunshine will always help when you are getting out of any pool, no matter what the temperature of the water.

JMO.

It would have to feel about 105F outside for me to get into water that's 64F (Brrr)! During the summer I keep my pool at a comfortable 87F. Although I can get used to it, 80F Feels chilly to me.

Grumpus, I feel exactly the same way that you do! 😃

Can I get a lap lane too? :D

No, but you can get a swim-against-the-current pool if you switch over to Princess.:)

Incorrect. Pool water can be and is heated. Recently off the Serenade and I stood next to the warm water jet in the Solarium pool more than once.

I think it's only the Solarium pool that is heated, but I have never set foot in an outdoor pool, so I abstain from voting.

Accept the fact that nothing is going to change as far as the water temperature of the pools....the only pools heated on ships are the hot tubs. The main pools are not and not equipped from what I understand to be heated.

You've said that before in the thread, and a couple of us already corrected you - sorry, you're simply incorrect about that - at least on many ships.

Todd normally wears his Mosquito(dive watch) when cruising and on winter cruises the main pool has been as low as 73. We had the same temp on our open water certification and we wore 3 mil wetsuites...it was COLD.

Last cruise on Navigator in February 2014 it was 76 until we reached warmer climes.

Most people really don't actually 'feel' what temp the water is....most tap water is above 80 on cold side in summer. Our tap water today is 60 and its 36 outside. I have an instant read thermometer.:D

For a comparison, most hot tubs don't go above 105 and bath water is around 98.

Edited by BecciBoo

Todd normally wears his Mosquito(dive watch) when cruising and on winter cruises the main pool has been as low as 73. We had the same temp on our open water certification and we wore 3 mil wetsuites...it was COLD.

Last cruise on Navigator in February 2014 it was 76 until we reached warmer climes.

Most people really don't actually 'feel' what temp the water is....most tap water is above 80 on cold side in summer. Our tap water today is 60 and its 36 outside. I have an instant read thermometer.:D

For a comparison, most hot tubs don't go above 105 and bath water is around 98.

Yep! I'm not going to argue with anyone's personal observations, but when someone says they're most comfortable in 64 degree water, I admit some skepticism! :) We don't even consider getting into the water in our pool until it hits at least 70, even on a hot day. Upper 70s is much more comfortable, and 80ish or a bit higher is quite comfortable. We have seen close to 90 in our pool in the heat of a hot summer, and that is getting too warm, although it makes moonlit swims later in the evening quite nice! :)

Yep! I'm not going to argue with anyone's personal observations, but when someone says they're most comfortable in 64 degree water, I admit some skepticism! :) We don't even consider getting into the water in our pool until it hits at least 70, even on a hot day. Upper 70s is much more comfortable, and 80ish or a bit higher is quite comfortable. We have seen close to 90 in our pool in the heat of a hot summer, and that is getting too warm, although it makes moonlit swims later in the evening quite nice! :)

Yep, my home pool is unheated and in mid 70's ambient air the water is usually below 70°F degrees and is quite chilly. Doesn't start feeling comfortable until around 74°F. It gets direct sunlight a few hours a day but not enough to help it out during the winter months. 78-80 would be really nice. Going to take consistent ambient temps in the mid 80's to do that though.

If they raise the temps on board and you spend more time in the pools you can change your name to Lets Get Wetter.

Well I don't get in ours until it hits at least 80 so that means end of May around here. Hubby does but he's tough! Don't like it over 90 though:o

I do a lot of swimming on the ships and have been in some of the colder ones, but it takes about 15 minutes to work in to my neck!!! After I'm in I'm fine.

I've never had a problem with the pools on a ship, but I haven't sailed in the winter. In the winter, the water would have to be warmer to be conformable, and I am sure it actually cooler.

I'll swim in just about anything, including in the ocean in Homer, Alaska in April* (water temp of 31), but unless you are doing some serious lap swimming or horse playing, 64 is pretty cold.

*Only lasted 3-5 minutes before my legs started going numb, luckily there was an indoor pool at the hotel for me run to to warm up.

Cold pools???? All I can think about is George Kastanza in the Seinfeld TV show and "shrinkage"........................:eek::eek:

A real problem on singles cruises and a certain type of charter cruise that is named after a piece of playground equipment. :eek:

With many of the newer ships providing more than one pool besides the solarium............would it not be nice to have one cool pool:D (no pun intended), and one heated pool.

Then everyone would be happy...

NOT:eek:......................

Safe travels.

I'm from Chicago and just sailed on Brilliance. Pools were too chilly to enjoy. Even the air in the solarium was a little chilly, except for the very first day when it was like a sauna. Other than the first day, it felt like they were running the a/c in there.

Do any cruise lines have heated pools?

We were on Diamond Princess a little over a year ago, out of Singapore, and the

conservatory pool was definitely heated, it was just like a bath. It was too hot to swim in until they cooled it down, but it was a pleasure to swim in it after all the freezing cold pools we have experienced on every other ship.

On our New Year cruise on Royal Princess we didnt bother to try the pools as our previous experiences had been that they would be cold so we were really miffed when we discovered that the beautiful Retreat pool was heated. We spent many an evening enjoying this wonderful warm pool.

I 100% agree that pools on ships should be heated. We once swam on Ruby Princess at Christmas but lasted about 5 minutes in the bitterly cold water.

So I vote YES!