Navigator Wine Package but we dont drink

edgeman61

The DW and I are headed to Alaska on the Amsterdam this June to celebrate our anniversary. One of the perks for our room category is a Navigator Wine Package (3 bottles IIRC).

The dilemma is that we dont drink wine or much of any alcholic beverages.

Has anyone "traded in" the wine package for something that might be more usefull to a non-drinker.

If not I guess we could bring the bottles to the MDR and share with our tablemates.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

The DW and I are headed to Alaska on the Amsterdam this June to celebrate our anniversary. One of the perks for our room category is a Navigator Wine Package (3 bottles IIRC).

The dilemma is that we dont drink wine or much of any alcholic beverages.

Has anyone "traded in" the wine package for something that might be more usefull to a non-drinker.

If not I guess we could bring the bottles to the MDR and share with our tablemates.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

hmm, I could suggest you switch your cruise to one I am on and I could tell you how to get rid of it - LOL.

Seriously, I am sure you should be able to exchange it for pop, water or whatever. We have exchanged the sparkling wine for regular wine and it has been a non issue. That being said, I don't know if you will get the full value for your wine versus non alcoholic drinks, but I am sure they would give you something.

A thought - if you are celebrating your anniversary and have a table you enjoy being with, you might want to save a bottle for that special night.

Have a great cruise and a great anniversary celebration on board.

It is highly likely they will trade your three bottles of wine for soda and bottled water, if you wish. Perhaps some virgin umbrella drinks? :) Somehow I think it less likely they would give you OBC in place of the wine package but you could ask.

Edited by sail7seas

Friends of ours traded in their wine. Try to get a sense of what your "free" wine is worth so you know what a fair trade will be. You wouldn't want to trade a bottle of wine for a can of soda or a bottle of water.

Seriously, I am sure you should be able to exchange it for pop, water or whatever. We have exchanged the sparkling wine for regular wine and it has been a non issue. That being said, I don't know if you will get the full value for your wine versus non alcoholic drinks, but I am sure they would give you something.

This piqued my memory about this suggestion to exchange the sparkling wine in the Neptune Suites at embarkation for something else. On our last cruise we left the bottle in our stateroom unopened as did my brother-in-law and his wife. Not that it was worth that much but we could have at least got some sodas. His wife does drink Cokes and we were paying for them. :(

Dennis

This piqued my memory about this suggestion to exchange the sparkling wine in the Neptune Suites at embarkation for something else. On our last cruise we left the bottle in our stateroom unopened as did my brother-in-law and his wife. Not that it was worth that much but we could have at least got some sodas. His wife does drink Cokes and we were paying for them. :(

Dennis

Just ask the concierge ;) In a Neptune Suite, it is very easy. Otherwise, I would guess a call to room service or a visit to the front desk.

In our case, we were in a NL (those that receive the sparkling wine usually are) and I simply asked the concierge. They exchanged it for a white wine. I wouldn't think, water or pop would be any more difficult.

Sure would like to know how you got the Navigators Package as a perk for the cabin you booked.

It's part of HAL's promotions on some of the cruises. It's offered on our Alaska cruise as well in May.

Dennis

Only once did we having trouble exchanging the bottle of wine that was in our cabin for something that we liked.

We did have to pay for the difference in the price of the wine we wanted.

Just ask the concierge ;) In a Neptune Suite, it is very easy. Otherwise, I would guess a call to room service or a visit to the front desk.

In our case, we were in a NL (those that receive the sparkling wine usually are) and I simply asked the concierge. They exchanged it for a white wine. I wouldn't think, water or pop would be any more difficult.

Normally I exchange it for white wine, but one time all they would give me was pop.

Dave

I had a Neptune suite and when I saw the complimentary wine in my room, I called the concierge and they needed me to bring the bottle to them and they sent 4 or 6 comes to my room instead. I know it's not the same thing as the wine package but they may be willing to do the same thing

Thanks for explaining Kazu.

Guess we book the wrong cruises and stay in the wrong cabin categories.

First time I have seen this KK and to be honest, I didn't even realize it until my TA told me. I booked on timing and itinerary and not promotions. ;)

Only once did we having trouble exchanging the bottle of wine that was in our cabin for something that we liked.

We did have to pay for the difference in the price of the wine we wanted.

We always exchange the Welcome Aboard sparkling wine toward a wine of our choosing. We pay whatever the difference in the price.

When I comment about those bottles we receive, I try to add that we always appreciate the gesture and the Welcome Aboard and think it very nice they send this each cruise. I don't happen to care for that particular wine so am happy they let us exchange it.

First time I have seen this KK and to be honest, I didn't even realize it until my TA told me. I booked on timing and itinerary and not promotions. ;)

Since we are very limited in what we book and also booking many months in advance, we never luck out.

But we have an upcoming cruise that we booked back in 2013. Then suddenly in 2014 a bunch cruises qualified for the Explore4 promotion and I noticed that the one we booked qualified. I called our TA and asked her to see if we qualified (just as a joke since we had booked so many months in advance). We were stunned when she called back and HAL said YES!!

So this will be our first time trying out the Explore4 program.

Now all we can hope for is no major snow storms like we had last year that closed airports for the better of 4 days and no cruise for us.

Since we are very limited in what we book and also booking many months in advance, we never luck out.

But we have an upcoming cruise that we booked back in 2013. Then suddenly in 2014 a bunch cruises qualified for the Explore4 promotion and I noticed that the one we booked qualified. I called our TA and asked her to see if we qualified (just as a joke since we had booked so many months in advance). We were stunned when she called back and HAL said YES!!

So this will be our first time trying out the Explore4 program.

Now all we can hope for is no major snow storms like we had last year that closed airports for the better of 4 days and no cruise for us.

Hope it works out for you. It would be a bummer to be snowed in.

Debbie

Thanks for all of your replies.

We booked our cruise during a promotion and they were giving suites OBC, the wine package and soda card.

We have been on the Amsterdam twice before, both times in a DA category OV on the Main Deck. We've never done Alaska with a verandah so we thought we might splurge with a Vista Suite.

We would have trouble putting down the sparkling wine much less three other bottles not to mention we would have no idea of which wines to choose.

I will try calling HAL to see if I can substitute for something else beforehand. Otherwise I guess I can see Guest Services once onboard.

I'm not sure if Vista Suite has telephone Concierge but I think you do. If so, call the concierge and request specifically what you would like to exchange it for and see what they say. It might go smoother if you specify you'd prefer an OBC or soda or whatever.