Ruby/Sept2015/Alaska/pool

TXRed

We are on the Ruby on 9/6/15 to Alaska. My DH wanted me to ask if there was an inside pool?? Also we booked a balcony on the Caribe deck aft area, wondering if it will be too cold to use it? We also chose the anytime dining, as we didn't want to be locked into a specific time and often we prefer to eat at the buffet. Please share your experience using this method. And lastly is there anything about the Ruby that we should know that is not on the website? First time on Princess so any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The Ruby doesn't have a covered pool. There is a nice aft pool for adults only; usually the water is heated.

I think a balcony is always great in Alaska (3x for me); the scenery is always beautiful. You can see some of it even as you get dressed if you have the balcony. You'll always have a better view on the open decks, but the balcony is good for your own 'down' time.

As for Anytime Dining -- it's your preference -- Dining Room or the buffet. I prefer the comfort of the dining room for dinner, but have eaten in the HC a few times.

Whatever you chose, Alaska is fantastic! And sometimes quite warm.

Enjoy!

When we sailed to Alaska in September on Sea Princess there were many days that the pools were closed - netted off. It wasn't exactly pool weather even though we had sunshine most days. The first night and the following day at sea we had very rough weather. Lots of passengers staggering around and the ship booming and shuddering as it broke through the high waves. It was pretty cool. :)

The Ruby doesn't have a covered pool. There is a nice aft pool for adults only; usually the water is heated. Thanks...he hoped there was an inside pool. No way will he be in an outdoor pool!!

I think a balcony is always great in Alaska (3x for me); the scenery is always beautiful. You can see some of it even as you get dressed if you have the balcony. You'll always have a better view on the open decks, but the balcony is good for your own 'down' time.

As for Anytime Dining -- it's your preference -- Dining Room or the buffet. I prefer the comfort of the dining room for dinner, but have eaten in the HC a few times.

Whatever you chose, Alaska is fantastic! And sometimes quite warm.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your reply. We really like having a balcony and will certainly take advantage weather permitting. We are not big eaters, but we eat often so sometimes we only want soup and/or salad for dinner and going to the HC makes better sense for us. If we are hungry we will them go to the main dining room.

When we sailed to Alaska in September on Sea Princess there were many days that the pools were closed - netted off. It wasn't exactly pool weather even though we had sunshine most days. The first night and the following day at sea we had very rough weather. Lots of passengers staggering around and the ship booming and shuddering as it broke through the high waves. It was pretty cool. :)

EEEKKKKKK that would not be cool to me....guess I should hget those sea sick bands just in case.

Thanks

We're on the same cruise!!! :)

When we booked our cruise, the princess agent told us that Ruby has a covered pool. I have looked at every photo from every angle and cannot find a way they could possibly cover one for Alaska. I think she must have been mistaken.

Last July my husband and i enjoyed the outdoor pools and hot tubs on our Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess. We like the adult only Lotus and Aft pools the best. Not sure how much cooler Alasker will be this time of year though.

We didn't have any trouble with anytime dining. Sometimes there would be a 15 minute wait for a table, but if we were willing to be seated at a group table could use be seated quickly. Meals were great and the staff seemed to want to really make sure you were satisfied.

We tend to prefer the buffets though - i could get all my favorites and my husband would load up on pizza and we would find somewhere to watch the sea/scenery. The Ruby seems to have a second buffet called Cafe Caribe that has themed meals that i am excited to try.

If you enjoy snacks you will LOVE the International Cafe. I think they are open 6am-11pm? As far as i can remember all the food was included and you only had to pay for the specialty drinks. Lots of yummy finger foods, salads, desserts, cookies, paninis, sandwiches, and i practically lived on the fruit tarts!

I can't think of many secrets i've discovered yet about the Ruby.... there is an English Tea served at some point in a MDR, Skywalkers is a quiet place to relax during the day, it is REALLY cold the day the ship goes up the fjord to the glacier - dress in all your layers! :eek:

We're on the same cruise!!! :)

When we booked our cruise, the princess agent told us that Ruby has a covered pool. I have looked at every photo from every angle and cannot find a way they could possibly cover one for Alaska. I think she must have been mistaken.

Last July my husband and i enjoyed the outdoor pools and hot tubs on our Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess. We like the adult only Lotus and Aft pools the best. Not sure how much cooler Alasker will be this time of year though.

We didn't have any trouble with anytime dining. Sometimes there would be a 15 minute wait for a table, but if we were willing to be seated at a group table could use be seated quickly. Meals were great and the staff seemed to want to really make sure you were satisfied.

We tend to prefer the buffets though - i could get all my favorites and my husband would load up on pizza and we would find somewhere to watch the sea/scenery. The Ruby seems to have a second buffet called Cafe Caribe that has themed meals that i am excited to try.

If you enjoy snacks you will LOVE the International Cafe. I think they are open 6am-11pm? As far as i can remember all the food was included and you only had to pay for the specialty drinks. Lots of yummy finger foods, salads, desserts, cookies, paninis, sandwiches, and i practically lived on the fruit tarts!

I can't think of many secrets i've discovered yet about the Ruby.... there is an English Tea served at some point in a MDR, Skywalkers is a quiet place to relax during the day, it is REALLY cold the day the ship goes up the fjord to the glacier - dress in all your layers! :eek:

Looking forward to meeting you!! We were really hoping for an indoor pool.. darn it. We are looking forward to our first time on Princess. We chose the anytime dining simply because we don't like to be locked into a specific time...even at home. I am sure we will not go hungry. We also like buffets as I like to try different things...but don't like to order an entire entree only to find out I don't like it. Also there are now 3 couples going....so anytime is the best for all of us!! Everyone I have spoken to raves about the IC...I am sure we will too. Layers it will be!! Since you have been to Alaska would you mind sharing what you recommend doing/seeing/shopping at in the various ports. Thanks for your reply!!

DH and I were on the Ruby last November and the pools were not covered. However we were on the Golden a few years ago and it does.

We are looking at going to Alaska in August on the Golden this year. One of the better reasons is the covered pool. We seemed to like that area. :)

EEEKKKKKK that would not be cool to me....guess I should hget those sea sick bands just in case.

Thanks

Sailing out of Seattle isn't bad at all. Thrak sailed from San Francisco which can be much rougher.

As others mentioned, the Ruby (and Crown, Emerald and Caribbean) don't have indoor pools. Plus, they have a larger passenger load, which turned us off from anytime dining. It was more like normal dinning, because you really couldn't get a table between 6-7:30. It was basically you either come right when the dining room opens at 5:30 and wait in line, or wait until after 7:30 to eat "anytime". This was our experience on the Crown, which is pretty much identical to the Ruby. But, Ruby does have other nice things that we liked, despite the extra passengers and lack of indoor pool. I like the Piazza/Int'l cafe better, Adagio's, and the location of Sabatini's. The ship is also newer than the other Grand class ships, though even the older ones seem well cared for in general.

Hi again! if you're sailing on the Ruby 9/6 you should join our roll call. Already lots of great info about ports, excusions and Seattle.

I now know I get seasick and will start taking otc pills the day before. As long as I take them continuously im fine. Might try the patch or bracelet this year since we are in the very front of the ship!

Tx Red there is so much to do at each port! Our family starts by looking at the excursions offered by Princess that interest us and start narrowing down our options based on time, cost, and availability. I like to use TripAdvisor to see how popular and liked everything is. Thrn I book thru princess or direct.

I love walking in each city and finding out the history of each. Ketchikan is beautiful and the salmon there is amazing! Im stocking up on canned salmon this trip. Yum!!

The whale watching with Juneau Tours in Juneau was phenomenal and I highly recommend the trip. The whales were so close and we saw seals and porpoises too. This year we are thinking of the tram or visiting a glacier.

In Skagway we want to take the White Pass Rail.

Do you have any specific questions?

You should also check out the Ruby review by Bimmer09, his reviews are excellent and have great photos.:)

Hi again! if you're sailing on the Ruby 9/6 you should join our roll call. Already lots of great info about ports, excusions and Seattle.

I now know I get seasick and will start taking otc pills the day before. As long as I take them continuously im fine. Might try the patch or bracelet this year since we are in the very front of the ship!

Tx Red there is so much to do at each port! Our family starts by looking at the excursions offered by Princess that interest us and start narrowing down our options based on time, cost, and availability. I like to use TripAdvisor to see how popular and liked everything is. Thrn I book thru princess or direct.

I love walking in each city and finding out the history of each. Ketchikan is beautiful and the salmon there is amazing! Im stocking up on canned salmon this trip. Yum!!

The whale watching with Juneau Tours in Juneau was phenomenal and I highly recommend the trip. The whales were so close and we saw seals and porpoises too. This year we are thinking of the tram or visiting a glacier.

In Skagway we want to take the White Pass Rail.

Do you have any specific questions?

You should also check out the Ruby review by Bimmer09, his reviews are excellent and have great photos.:)

Thanks I have joined the roll call. We are going to do the White Pass Rail too. That's as far as we have gotten so far. There is so much to read. I am going to check out the review right away..TIA

[quote name='LoveByrds;45364406 :)

The Cafe Caribe and Horizon Ct. are just different sections of the buffet. They share seating areas. When both serving areas are open they may serve some of the same food. Normally the Horizon Ct. serving area closes around dinner time and the Cafe Caribe section is open until 11/midnight.

If you enjoy snacks you will LOVE the International Cafe. I think they are open 6am-11pm? As far as i can remember all the food was included and you only had to pay for the specialty drinks. Lots of yummy finger foods' date=' salads, desserts, cookies, paninis, sandwiches, and i practically lived on the fruit tarts! The International Cafe is open 24 hours. Food is free. If they have gelato there is a small charge for it.

I can't think of many secrets i've discovered yet about the Ruby.... there is an English Tea served at some point in a MDR, Yes on sea days around 3:30pm, check the Patter.

:eek:

See above

Edited by sknight

Good luck in Alaska. I've heard the shoulders (May and September) tend to have the best weather. My May sailing a couple years back had sun every single day. So, be optimistic. I'm just hoping for relatively warm weather for my one-day sailing from Seattle to Vancouver mid-September. Warm enough for hot tubs, at least... :p

Thank you MilliesMom for posting those links! I didn't realize there were more than one on the Ruby. I guess my evening is suddenly booked! I love Bimmer09's reviews - so many great photos!

Sknight - Great to know the cafe is 24 hours, i promise i am cruising for more than the food!!! :eek:

TxRed - who did you book the White Pass Rail with? We can't decide. :)

Thank you MilliesMom for posting those links! I didn't realize there were more than one on the Ruby. I guess my evening is suddenly booked! I love Bimmer09's reviews - so many great photos!

Sknight - Great to know the cafe is 24 hours, i promise i am cruising for more than the food!!! :eek:

I had fun going back through his videos too. Was funny to realize I had commented on them when he was posting live.

Tip on the White Pass Railway .... when Hal (my hubby) took it with friends we booked the 3 of them through Princess. The main advantage was that they boarded the train right across from the ship rather than having to walk into town to the train station AND the train returned them to the ship pier. Be sure to check to see where you are docked the day you are in port there. They did the one that goes up to the top and then back down (about 4 hours). While they were gone I walked into town and went through all the shops etc. We decided it would be best if I didn't go as I have asthma and there can be diesel fumes (no noticeable by most) from the engine. Princess and the train company could not guarantee I would be in a center train car.

We are on the Ruby 2 weeks before you on 8/23. Getting excited.

Here's some links that should help with docking ... which pier:

Juneau Walking Tour: http://www.traveljuneau.com/images/map_downtown_big.jpg

Skagway Walking Tour: http://skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

Ketchikan Map: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/downtownmap.pdf

Creek Street In Ketchikan (worth going to): http://www.experienceketchikan.com/c...#ixzz1ahUYElGt

Map of Victoria … shows walk from ship to town: http://gvha.v3.ca/uploaded/cruise-map-web-3.jpg

Since you are booked on your cruise, and the date is this year you can look up each port and find out exactly where your ship is docked.

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=318

Once you know the date and port code/berth code you can see exactly where you are docked in that city.

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Port-Codes.pdf

[/url]

Edited by MilliesMom

thanks so much...I read the Ruby review today...ship is beautiful and the food looks so fantastic...he had me at the first picture of fried calamari..his pictures are beautiful. I will read the other 2...thanks for posting the links.

Good luck in Alaska. I've heard the shoulders (May and September) tend to have the best weather. My May sailing a couple years back had sun every single day. So, be optimistic. I'm just hoping for relatively warm weather for my one-day sailing from Seattle to Vancouver mid-September. Warm enough for hot tubs, at least... :p

Thanks, I live in MO so we are used to weather changing at the drop of a hat. I just hope it doesn't rain every day...but if it does we will just deal with it...it's ALASKA!!

We booked via Princess ...pick up at the dock and drop back off there. I think it was about $130.00 pp

Here's some links that should help with docking ... which pier:

Juneau Walking Tour: http://www.traveljuneau.com/images/map_downtown_big.jpg

Skagway Walking Tour: http://skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

Ketchikan Map: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/downtownmap.pdf

Creek Street In Ketchikan (worth going to): http://www.experienceketchikan.com/c...#ixzz1ahUYElGt

Map of Victoria … shows walk from ship to town: http://gvha.v3.ca/uploaded/cruise-map-web-3.jpg

Since you are booked on your cruise, and the date is this year you can look up each port and find out exactly where your ship is docked.

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=318

Once you know the date and port code/berth code you can see exactly where you are docked in that city.

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Port-Codes.pdf

[/url]

WOW thanks ever so much...great reference links!!