New to Princess..advice please

ZSandy25

We just booked our cruise on the Caribbean Princess, Quebec City to Houston in October. The itinerary is great and the perks are a bonus. $200 shipboard credit, $545 from a big box store booking agent that I think I can't name, reduced deposit, dinner for two.

Read reviews of the ship and am able to read between the lines in regards to the good, bad and ugly. We are three stars with HAL and I am not trying to compare cruise lines. We cruised on Princess years ago Hawaii to Tahiti and had a grand time but it was so long ago I feel like a newbie. I will be reading up on the ship and the venues ie: specialty dining etc. but any input would be great.

I booked a mini-suite cabin D715 on starboard. We like being on the side of the ship in the direction it is going that would be facing land. We didn't have a lot of choices in cabins on starboard but our agent helped with location. Deck below houses the life boats but we are further back so not a problem there. He did say there is not a "roof" over the balcony. We are used to some covering, should this be a problem?

I would appreciate any advice you have to share, thanks in advance.

Yes, the balcony is open, but with sides between cabin which would provide some wind block.

The main issue you may encounter is when the balcony is in direct sun - it may be a little hot. On those days a nice siesta on your sofa is in order.

People can see into your balcony from above, so sunbathing au naturel isn't a good idea :rolleyes:

Edited by Times Prince

The uncovered balcony is a problem if you want to join the balcony club.

That really sounds more like a "Carnival thing". The Princess demographic isn't one that really lends itself to a great desire to join that particular "club".

The main issue you may encounter is when the balcony is in direct sun - it may be a little hot. ...

Being too hot on the balcony is not going to be a problem during the majority of this late-October cruise. The OP will want to have layers, including a waterproof shell and a fleece or down layer for use as needed during the early part of the cruise. We were on the Ruby Princess from Quebec to NYC in early October 2014. We experienced quite variable temperatures, from the 30s F (with high winds and sleet!) to the high 70s F during pre-cruise days near Quebec City and during the cruise itself. By late Oct it may be cooler. On an earlier visit to Quebec City in mid-Oct., we encountered a brief thunder-snow storm.

On other days in October, the weather can be fairly warm and very pleasant in Quebec and the Maritime provinces. And during the last few days of OP's cruise, in the southeastern U.S., warm temperatures are certainly likely.

John

Edited by J-D

We just booked our cruise on the Caribbean Princess, Quebec City to Houston in October.

I will be reading up on the ship and the venues ie: specialty dining etc. but any input would be great.

I booked a mini-suite cabin D715 on starboard.

I would appreciate any advice you have to share, thanks in advance.

D715 is a nice location. A mini suite is a larger cabin with a sofa, larger bath with tub and lots of storage. D715 is close to the on board laundry. Port or starboard doesn't really make much difference. You will not see much land as the ship normally stays more than 3 miles from shore. While traveling north to south the afternoon sun will be on the starboard side and east to west the sun will be on the port side all day. Thus cover will not really be an issue. In October it will be cool and probably not balcony lounging weather until you reach the Caribbean. Realize that Princess may upgrade your cabin to a MB or MA cat. These are the same interiors, but more centered and can be on the starboard or port side.

There are three specialty dining restaurants/locations. The Crown Grill (steak, chops, seafood) and Sabatini's (Italian) are restaurants and are $25/pp. There will also be the Crab Shack (buckets of shell fish) which is held some evenings in a section of the Cafe Caribe, $20pp.

Free Dining:

MDR's

International Cafe open 24 hours

Trident Grill and Prego Pizza open 11am to 11pm

Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe buffet, at least one section open at all times from 6am to 11pm/midnight.

Room service (limited menu)

Pub Lunch in Crown Grill on some sea days

Probably sushi or tapas at Vines with the purchase of any drink.

Additionally there are some special dining events such as the Chef's Table, and balcony dining (breakfast and dinner). For the Chef's Table sign up on boarding day.

We have been spoiled by mini-suites and were happily surprised that the open balcony didn't bother us at all, though you do need to be prepared in case of rainy weather. You can look directly down into the water from the dolphin deck, which is another reason we like it. Sounds like a lovely cruise!

Know you said you weren't comparing cruise lines but thought I'd just add some positive reinforcement regarding your choice.

We've sailed both HAL (mini-suite) and Princess (full suites) and thoroughly enjoy both! And we've sailed the Caribbean Princess in the Caribbean and loved it.

So we think you've made a very nice choice. Enjoy!