OBC and Exchange Rates

cbr663

We just bought 90 units on the weekend in Canadian Dollars, we spent $2448 for $2250 in US funds and will take the 5% hit to cash it out onboard. Our credit card was charged within a day so hopefully it works. The only thing that seemed funny was the receipt, it showed what we paid but not how much we bought. I called celebrity and they said we had paid for 90 units at $ 27.20 Canadian per unit of $25. So it should work out. (hopefully).

We just bought 90 units on the weekend in Canadian Dollars, we spent $2448 for $2250 in US funds and will take the 5% hit to cash it out onboard. Our credit card was charged within a day so hopefully it works. The only thing that seemed funny was the receipt, it showed what we paid but not how much we bought. I called celebrity and they said we had paid for 90 units at $ 27.20 Canadian per unit of $25. So it should work out. (hopefully).

Bargain especially with the actual exchange rate the way it is.:D

Great bargain. Thanks for the info that your credit card was hit right away. I'll give mine another couple of days before calling it in.

Just to reiterate [i am not sure if I have posted on this thread], in the UK at least, the "online" purchase of OBC is not fully automated and involves a human being completing the transaction. At time of high demand [such as now for obvious reasons], applications are process in sail-date, not order date, order. Some applications have been known to get lost but, those that are not, will go through at the rate when the OBC was bought. Applications made over the 'phone go through at the time.

It is true, the receipt Celebrity now produce [for years nothing was generated] shows only the purchase price and not the amount of US$ purchased. I take a screen print of the price on the day we purchase online as some "proof" but we have never had a issue with the OBC not showing up.

Just to reiterate [i am not sure if I have posted on this thread], in the UK at least, the "online" purchase of OBC is not fully automated and involves a human being completing the transaction. At time of high demand [such as now for obvious reasons], applications are process in sail-date, not order date, order. Some applications have been known to get lost but, those that are not, will go through at the rate when the OBC was bought. Applications made over the 'phone go through at the time.

It is true, the receipt Celebrity now produce [for years nothing was generated] shows only the purchase price and not the amount of US$ purchased. I take a screen print of the price on the day we purchase online as some "proof" but we have never had a issue with the OBC not showing up.

Good to know, thank you. I certainly don't want to duplicate my order

The most you can do at once is 9 lots of $25 but once you have ordered that before you enter your card details simply select continue shopping or whatever it is (I can't remember at the moment) we have ordered 3 lots of 9 at the same time that way.

The most you can do via the web site is 9 units. If you phone Celebrity they will happily take more of your money. I have $1200 on one of my cruises which is 48 units to make sure I get the maximum benefit of their Obc exchange rates. What I don't spend will go back into my US$ credit card and stay in $s for future cruise spending at a decent exchange rate

The most you can do via the web site is 9 units. If you phone Celebrity they will happily take more of your money. I have $1200 on one of my cruises which is 48 units to make sure I get the maximum benefit of their Obc exchange rates. What I don't spend will go back into my US$ credit card and stay in $s for future cruise spending at a decent exchange rate

You can, or at least when I last tried you could, make multiple orders of 9 units in one purchase. It is just very annoying to have to do it and another reason to purchase by telephone [even if, the last time we did it a few weeks ago, my husband was transferred three times, once to the US where the person he spoke to could not even understand the concept of "exchange rate"].

You can, or at least when I last tried you could, make multiple orders of 9 units in one purchase. It is just very annoying to have to do it and another reason to purchase by telephone [even if, the last time we did it a few weeks ago, my husband was transferred three times, once to the US where the person he spoke to could not even understand the concept of "exchange rate"].

I gave used the web site in the past but ended up having to call Celebrity anyway as they managed to lose some of my obc. I always take my credit card statement with all the purchases of obc (or anything else for that matter) in case it gets lost in translation onto the ship. To be fair it has always turned up when w reach the ship.

Thanks for the explanation. Nothing showing on cc yet so I might call today and hope to get someone who can find out if we really have bought OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just thought I would re-enforce that a non USA resident, who booked through a USA web based TA, can buy OBC in their own currency on the Celebrity website.

After reading this thread I thought it was worth a try. Failed the first time, went through the second.

Canadian, booked on USA web TA. On celebrity I just bought $25USA for $27.20CAN. XE.com showing $31.13 Can for same amount.

Thanks for the discussion guys,

Cheers, h.

animated-smileys-drinking-049.gif _______________________

Just curious if you checked your CC statement? I also have a US booking and purchased 9 units online at $27.20CDN but my CDN CC was charged $279.33 ($31.04/unit instead of $27.20). Phoned Celebrity who are supposed to be refunding the difference but I won't hold my breath as the last thing she said was to phone back if I didn't see a refund on my card within a few weeks. I ordered in CDN but the confirmation emailed to me was in USD. I would like to order more but don't want to risk the same thing happening.

Ok. Just called Celebrity in the UK and have been told that as the reservation was made through a USA TA we cannot purchase OBC in GBP.

If I contact X in the US I can purchase OBC but will be charged at current exchange rates so no point in doing it. So that answers everyone. Pay for the cruise in US and everything else is charged in US. At least here in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

may be diffrent as I've booked within DE

so pricing in € .... but amount is booked on cc, therfore legal contract X is not able to reject anymore....

What I have said is that Celebrity DOES honour the contract [except, perhaps, if you count when the order gets lost]. The issue is that customers believe that nothing has happened and order again resulting in multiple orders.

Tried to buy OBC on UK site, but it didn't recognise my cruise reference. Called the UK customer support line and got through fairly quickly. I bought 20 units ($500) which cost £298, so that's a rate of 1.6778! Bargain! The agent I spoke to said she had been selling lots of OBC over the last few days...I wonder why!

Sorry to hijack. I purchased some OBC last week USD 25 for AUD 25. My credit card has been charged and I can see the additional money in the payments section - but no where in my booking does it show the additional OBC. It shows the $300 as part of the 123 promo but that's it. Is this normal?

Sorry to hijack. I purchased some OBC last week USD 25 for AUD 25. My credit card has been charged and I can see the additional money in the payments section - but no where in my booking does it show the additional OBC. It shows the $300 as part of the 123 promo but that's it. Is this normal?

Yes that is normal. I take a copy of my card statement and the email with me but have never had to show them. The OBC shows up about 2 or 3 days into the cruise.