OBC and Exchange Rates

cbr663

Seems to work well for Canadians booked in CND $'s though. I have purchased multiple units for two of my upcoming cruises with the accurate exchange rate applied. I found that the first time when I booked online that it took awhile to receive the "amenity confirmation" so now I just call and it is done immediately. We are happy campers:)

Can also confirm that 2 recent online OBC gift purchases (Canadian $ booking) went through with no problems. Received instant confirmation from Celebrity and credit card reflected the correct Canadian dollar cost I was expecting.

I agree easy to do online from Canada. Mind you I am only purchasing small amounts for my personal use on the ship not hundreds or even thousands like yorkshire-pudding had attempted. Of course that is going to raise red flags.

I had instant confirmation and credit card charged the accurate amount.

I agree easy to do online from Canada. Mind you I am only purchasing small amounts for my personal use on the ship not hundreds or even thousands like yorkshire-pudding had attempted. Of course that is going to raise red flags.

We purchased $500 US and our travelling companions $600 with no issues for our Japan cruise.

Edited by Christine Frances

Mark me down as one did not take notice of Prject Gal's many warnings.

I bought OBC on-line for our first Celebrity cruise in 2013. The process worked seemlessly.

However, last year when I tried to do the same same thing it took forever to resolve. Even when we boarded the ship I was not totally convinced I would receive the correct amount of OBC I had bought.

After a lot of effort I eventually obtained an email address for the people who actually deal with OBC on-line purchases. It took an awful lot of to-ing and fro-ing but it was resolved.

When in my last email to them I said I still was not convinced things would be right on boarding a manager responded giving me her name in the event of any problems. As I mentioned earlier there was not a problem so it was not needed.

The address I used was

GGwebservice@rccl.com

Give it a try.

Project_gal, I hear you're comments but in my own defence I bought OBC on 2 prior occasions without incident and saw no reason not to do it again.

I am sure it will be sorted out eventually. Amex is usually very good at sorting it out. It seems a strange coincidence that a number of people are experiencing similar problems at the same time. IMHO, I think the favourable exchange rate has increased the number of transactions and they are unable to cope.

Edited by Yorkshire-Pudding

It is for personal use. IMO, the amounts involved certainly should not warrant any kind of flag. Amex certainly would not question it. Also instead of 2 transactions online, the transaction of $3200 was done as a single one over the phone without incident.

The problem is that the exchange rate currently being offered in the UK is so good and so many people are ordering. I, too, used to purchase OBC online [in the days when you did not get any confirmation] with no problems but I was warned not to a long time ago when someone at Celebrity explained the process to me. Since then, I have tried to warn people to telephone their orders.

I think they've sped up the process. I ordered $200 yesterday and it hit my card and I got the true confirmation today. Much quicker than the weeks it was taking before.

Hi Cruise Junky:

Are you able to share what the exchange rate was?

Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone do this in the last day or so? A friend tried today and was told that they will take the bank's exchange rate on the date of departure!

Just checked Celebrity website and it is showing $27.20 Canadian for $25 US onboard credit. Definitely worth it to figure out in advance how much you think you will need and purchase in advance.

OK, another person going on the cruise was able to get OBC the usual way. I am not sure what happened with my friend that was told it was the bank exchange rate on the day of departure. We will see what he ends up getting charged!

My query was dated 23/03/15, after purchasing a second lot of OBC on 5th March. Although I had had the Amenity confirmation , no money had been taken from my credit card. I have just checked my credit card statement on line and indeed the money taken corresponds to the £14.90 for $25 as stated on the Celebrity web site.

"We apologize in the delay in responding to your inquiry. All orders are entered manually and sometimes depending on the workload the orders are confirmed about a month prior to the sailing date. I searched for your order and I could not find it in the system, my team mate had pulled the order and for some reason thought it was a duplicate request because there was an order placed for shipboard credit on 01/22/2015 and therefore did not confirm it. I confirmed the order today."