How formal are formal nights on Princess?

DonRobertoSanJuan

The beautiful part of the relaxed dress code application on Princess is when I know what the crew expects, I am comfortable with what I am wearing, and others who choose to dress in the attire they are comfortable with are allowed to do so.

I see no reason for the arguments on these boards. It isn't going to change what the cruise line is doing, because it is a business decision that they feel helps them retain market share.

I was more than willing to skip formal nights and go to the Horizon Court, but some of the managers and crew encouraged me to attend at the MDR. I clarified the company's position on ensuing cruises and found it uniform in application.

I will continue cruising with Princess and will continue wearing the accepted attire. I hope all of you will do the same and enjoy your cruises as much as I do.

I usually take off my dress coat at formal dinners when I sit down, I just can't take the heat from wearing all those clothes. So I figure I'm good with slack's, a nice long sleeved shirt and tie. On occasion though I have also rolled up the sleeves to be comfy. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I have cruised Princess the most, recently. I like to dress up on a cruise...

Just arrived in the mail a nice brochure from Oceania cruises(never have cruise them) and they say country club casual ambiance;tuxedos and gowns never required. Brochure also says best value in upscale cruising.

Oceania is expensive compared to Princess, wonder when or if Princess will abandon the formal dress code? Interesting to me, use to be the more affluent cruised and dressed up and now the more expensive cruise lines have gone or have always relaxed the dress code.:cool:

Is Princess one of the few to have formal nights?

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

Enforced is a funny word. For the most part no, because the formal attire is just a suggestion, not mandatory.

That said, Princess in not NCL. The dining room won't be full of jeans, cutoffs and baseball caps on formal night. The vast majority of people do dress up. As others mentioned, what you experienced on Celebrity will be what you will experience on Princess.

I think it is more than a suggestion. This is from the Princess web site:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

•Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

So they are doing more than suggesting. Personally I enjoy dressing up occasionally. It's unfortunate that some people refuse to follow the rules and can make the evening less enjoyable for those that do. The real culprit, though, is Princess for not "enforcing" these "codes". Either remove the codes, or enforce them.