How formal are formal nights on Princess?

DonRobertoSanJuan

I have searched many posts, but could not find any about formal nights. We have enjoyed formal nights on Celebrity (very nice) and Royal Caribbean (not so nice). How formal are formal nights on Princess? Do most people dress up? Is the dress code being enforced for MDR dining?

Enforced is a funny word. For the most part no, because the formal attire is just a suggestion, not mandatory.

That said, Princess in not NCL. The dining room won't be full of jeans, cutoffs and baseball caps on formal night. The vast majority of people do dress up. As others mentioned, what you experienced on Celebrity will be what you will experience on Princess.

These debates would not exist if Princess would get off the fence and publish what they actually consider acceptable on the ships. And if people who post would be truthful instead of pressing their own agendas.

You don't see these debates on NCL boards.

IMO the dress guidelines Princess has published are clear to understand. The real issue is getting the staff on the ships to consistently enforce the MDR evening dress guidelines. We would never pack for a Cruise based on someones experience of what they were able to get away with.

In that case there would hardly be a subject that it wouldn't apply to. One answer could be given, posted at the top and that would be it until a change came along.

Not really sure how "smoking policy" and "formal dress code policy" are all that different in terms of there being "one answer" that can be posted until a change comes along. PCL has a published smoking policy and it has a published formal dress attire statement. The heated debates come in the form of enforcement which isn't anything that any of us can do anything about. Besides. The single sticky post doesn't deter debate at all. It simply confines it to one space.

On our recent Emerald cruise we wore dress slacks, jacket and open collar shirt and felt perfectly comfortable. Princess seems to be a little dressier than RCCL, but true formal wear was the exception, not the rule. Most everyone we saw in the MDR was dressed nicely.

I certainly don't have a problem reading the very clear dress codes. I'm not sure why others can't understand it. :confused:

It seems even Princess cruise lines have problems understanding it. Or else they do not care as much as some others do. But the final determination is with Princess and their staff. They have established the experience for all who cruise with them.And want many to pass on that experience which includes what is permitted when in the MDR.

I am happy to see this come up as I am interested in what is currently seen on the ships. I could be wrong but I think one of the reasons formal nights are getting a bit less formal has more to do with changes on how people pack for trips. People who have to fly, especially ones who have to fly far or take multiple flights have to deal with the changes the airlines have made. There have been so many changes to the already expensive flights, not only how high your chances of your luggage not making the trip, but the added cost now of charged checked luggage and more recently some airlines will also charge for carry on. The airlines are also more strict with carry on sizes. I did a cruise with a girlfriend and we booked last minute so had many plane changes so we packed only carry on. It was wonderful to have so much less stuff to lug around and to not have to pay for the checked bags. This also meant though that we dressed nice every night but never really formal. My husband's suit would never fit in carry on so not sure how we will pack for our next cruise.

I am happy to see this come up as I am interested in what is currently seen on the ships. I could be wrong but I think one of the reasons formal nights are getting a bit less formal has more to do with changes on how people pack for trips. People who have to fly, especially ones who have to fly far or take multiple flights have to deal with the changes the airlines have made. There have been so many changes to the already expensive flights, not only how high your chances of your luggage not making the trip, but the added cost now of charged checked luggage and more recently some airlines will also charge for carry on. The airlines are also more strict with carry on sizes. I did a cruise with a girlfriend and we booked last minute so had many plane changes so we packed only carry on. It was wonderful to have so much less stuff to lug around and to not have to pay for the checked bags. This also meant though that we dressed nice every night but never really formal. My husband's suit would never fit in carry on so not sure how we will pack for our next cruise.

Our son-in-law wore his jacket and packed the shirt and pants.:)

I have sailed five different Princess ships in the last couple of years and without exception, I was told by the dining room managers that a long sleeve dress shirt and slacks were appropriate for formal nights. I sometimes wear a tie, but that is not required.

I hope this information helps. Your husband will not be underdressed. I am speaking from my personal experience.

It might be true in many cases but there are a lot of people like myself who just don't like dressing up on vacation. I really enjoy a relaxed casual style of clothing that still lets me enjoy the DR food. I could pack most anything to take with me on the ship since we drive to the port but simply choose not to do so.

I have sailed five different Princess ships in the last couple of years and without exception, I was told by the dining room managers that a long sleeve dress shirt and slacks were appropriate for formal nights. I sometimes wear a tie, but that is not required.

I hope this information helps. Your husband will not be underdressed. I am speaking from my personal experience.

And that is all that really matters. Thank you for the formation.

Enforced is a funny word. For the most part no, because the formal attire is just a suggestion, not mandatory.

That said, Princess in not NCL. The dining room won't be full of jeans, cutoffs and baseball caps on formal night. The vast majority of people do dress up. As others mentioned, what you experienced on Celebrity will be what you will experience on Princess.

If you saw the pictures of the sign outside of the dinning room it says required. That is more than a suggestion. Just because people, or cruise lines us words that try to be polite, does not mean there are no expectations.

I've never see you with a tie. That's must be a new addition to your wardrobe. :D

If you saw the pictures of the sign outside of the dinning room it says required. That is more than a suggestion. Just because people, or cruise lines us words that try to be polite, does not mean there are no expectations.

The signs I've see don't actually says "required", just suggestions for what the dress code is for the evening. Take it or leave it.

I have searched many posts, but could not find any about formal nights. We have enjoyed formal nights on Celebrity (very nice) and Royal Caribbean (not so nice). How formal are formal nights on Princess? Do most people dress up? Is the dress code being enforced for MDR dining?

Wait!

Another thread about formal nights? Did you do a search?:confused:

Or are you just dying to stir the pot?;)

So, let the games begin! :D

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It might be true in many cases but there are a lot of people like myself who just don't like dressing up on vacation. I really enjoy a relaxed casual style of clothing that still lets me enjoy the DR food. I could pack most anything to take with me on the ship since we drive to the port but simply choose not to do so.

The thing about posted standards - regarding anything - is that there will always be some people who'd prefer not to adhere to them. That's precisely why there are posted standards.

Since the OP didn't mention which cruise he is taking, I agree with Shogun's comments. That if you are doing something in Europe and the Med, the dress will be "more formal" as there are usually more European passengers who tend to take formal closer to formal guidelines. An older clientele on longer cruisers too tend to lean more dressy.

Carib and Alaska itineraries will draw more casual passengers due to that type of casual intinerary.

Having just completed an easy 7 dayer on Regal out of Ft L, we still saw the large majority in very nice outfits. And at our tradtional MDR sitting, only saw 4 men without jackets ( but wearing ties) on formal night as I scanned the room upon entering. Note, I was not looking to judge...just wanted to come back with some current info.;)

I too agree that Celebrity and Princess will be more similar in style.

The thing about posted standards - regarding anything - is that there will always be some people who'd prefer not to adhere to them. That's precisely why there are posted standards.

So, why does Princess even bother to post the dress code outside the DR, or in the Patter?

And, are you saying you are one of those people who turns a blind eye on the posted Dress Code? :confused:

image.jpg.ffcaa927537de0fdc05fdfb24671fb5e.jpg

Edited by Kingofcool1947