How formal are formal nights on Princess?

DonRobertoSanJuan

I would say that more people than not dress up for formal nights.

You will see some men in tuxes, occasionally a few in kilts, and most wear a suit or some equivalent. There will be a few guys who just wear a dress shirt and nicer pants, and maybe add a tie ... or not.

Ladies can be seen in everything from lovely long evening gowns to "LBDs" to fancy cocktail dresses or dress pants and sparkly tops. There will also be a few who appear in a pretty sundress, or in the sort of clothes they might wear to church.

Overall, formal nights usually project an aura of festiveness on Princess.

I have searched many posts, but could not find any about formal nights. We have enjoyed formal nights on Celebrity (very nice) and Royal Caribbean (not so nice). How formal are formal nights on Princess? Do most people dress up? Is the dress code being enforced for MDR dining?

1. From the sound of your post, you enjoy formal nights and prefer to dress in the requested attire. If that is the case, you will enjoy such nights on Princess. You will see far more people in formal attire than on RCCL which you did not enjoy as much. The vast majority of men in the Main Dining Rooms are in either tuxedos, suits with ties or blazers with ties with women dressed commensurately.

2. I found the bolded portion humorous as there are times when formal night debates dominate this board.

I have searched many posts, but could not find any about formal nights. We have enjoyed formal nights on Celebrity (very nice) and Royal Caribbean (not so nice). How formal are formal nights on Princess? Do most people dress up? Is the dress code being enforced for MDR dining?

Most people do dress up on formal nights (at least for the dining rooms) but a small majority who don't care to participate just show up in casual clothing and will still be admitted. A pair of decent dress pants along with a long sleeve dress shirt without a jacket or tie is all that's really required. Just don't expect people to stay dressed up after dinner.

From what I recall years ago on Celebrity, they were much more formal, requiring a suit & tie. Times have changed. ;)

1. From the sound of your post, you enjoy formal nights and prefer to dress in the requested attire. If that is the case, you will enjoy such nights on Princess. You will see far more people in formal attire than on RCCL which you did not enjoy as much. The vast majority of men in the Main Dining Rooms are in either tuxedos, suits with ties or blazers with ties with women dressed commensurately.

2. I found the bolded portion humorous as there are times when formal night debates dominate this board.

I thought that was funny too as there seems to be a new thread about formal nights started every day.

My experience in five Princess cruises (the last three with three formal nights each) in 12 years is that a majority of passengers dress up in a wide range, but still undoubtedly dressier than they do on smart casual nights. There are many tuxes, suits (jackets and ties) for the men, and everything from cocktail dresses (my speed) to glitzy gowns to sparkly and silky pantsuits.

I have searched many posts, but could not find any about formal nights.

That is really hard to believe.

But, no worries ... the same people will be happy to post the same

opinions.

I'll give you a summary:

Some people think you can wear whatever you wish.

Some people are upset by this idea.

Good luck.

I wear my Tux and Tails with rented shoes as they take up space in my luggage, then have dinner and move to the atrium where the Champaign tower has been built and hover at the starting post to go pour. There have been a few folks that were there with some in their walkers and walking caines, but they were there only for the show. When it starts and the Maitre'd calls for those who want to pour with all the pictures, I have been first in line two times with almost 600 folks watching. The first pour is the longest and I have used a whole bottle to get things flowing. This is one of the most fun things to do on the cruise, Have fun with everyone else in front of them! I have done cooking on live TV with more than a million viewers so pouring a bottle of Champaign in front of 600 people is just another day in paradise.

I would guess that it is closer to 90%, and sometimes more...

I wish that were the case, but last week on the Emerald was about as dressy as a Carnival cruise. Lots of men without jackets or ties and the women were not particularly dressed up either. I was amazed at how many people thought a knit shirt and dockers were formal wear. There were only a handful of tuxes. One of the men at the table next to ours had on shorts.

On our RCCL cruise on the Navigator in August there were many more people who were dressed up on formal nights than what we just saw on Princess. It was kind of sad.

Just spent two weeks on Ruby in Caribbean. We saw very few tuxes and formal long dresses. We did see suits and short cocktail dresses. For the most part people worn what they probably wear to a more formal church. I did witness a young man in shorts turned away from MDR.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I had the same thought when I first read the thread title. I said he we go again. The only problem is they get so nasty at times the thread is completly remeoved. They would be better is just locked and let people search for them.

Or CC could just put a stickie at the beginning and refer people to it.

Great idea. My understanding is that discussions of smoking on board are not permitted anywhere except in the designated thread for that topic, and the reason for that was to prevent the pollution of the Board with constant bickering about a (pardon the pun) hot topic. If that is indeed the case, then perhaps the same result should apply to formal night attire.

Great idea. My understanding is that discussions of smoking on board are not permitted anywhere except in the designated thread for that topic, and the reason for that was to prevent the pollution of the Board with constant bickering about a (pardon the pun) hot topic. If that is indeed the case, then perhaps the same result should apply to formal night attire.

In that case there would hardly be a subject that it wouldn't apply to. One answer could be given, posted at the top and that would be it until a change came along.

These debates would not exist if Princess would get off the fence and publish what they actually consider acceptable on the ships. And if people who post would be truthful instead of pressing their own agendas.

Keep in mind you would not see it in the MDR if the crew didn't accept it.

You don't see these debates on NCL boards.

Edited by swedish weave