Wireless doorbell for balcony room

lharry

I think this is a great idea. We spend most of our time on our balcony and usually book aft ones. There are so many times we have come back into the cabin and found things from room service on the table or laundry on the bed. i like to give room service a tip when they deliver something so I feel bad when they just drop it off. You can barely hear each other talking out there so there isn't much of a chance you can hear someone knock. When we have booked grand suites which have a doorbell, you can not hear it when you are on the balcony off the bedroom. There have been so many times that our steward would walk out and say he rang the bell several times. So, having the ringer at your side is ideal. Let us know how it works.

I can't decide if I am sailing on the wrong ships or the right ships.

I always have at least a balcony.

Never been on a ship that is so noisy when under way that I can't hear a knock on the door.

Never had a cabin so big that I couldn't hear a knock from the balcony.

Never had a suite [as opposed to cabin] that didn't have a bell.

Never been on a ship that is so noisy when under way that I can't hear a knock on the door.

There is a fair distance from the entry door to the verandah door in Neptune Suites on HAL ships. They request we keep verandah doors closed in order the a/c remains constant for all guests' staterooms. With that thick glass door closed and the ship underway, I have never (in over 80 HAL cruises) heard the 'knock on the door' when not inside the cabin. :) HAL verandah doors push in and out like the entry door.... they are not sliders.

I'm still not 100% convinced that this will work, though I may be wrong, due to the amount of interference from the metal in the ship, but would be interested to hear of this does indeed work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the OP has now bought a doorbell so good luck to them.

I didn't read every post in detail as I can't stand the attitude of some (I've never needed one so neither should you... dumb idea.. etc..)

Wonder if the OP has seen these door knock sensors. Removes the problem of prank doorbell ringers.

Have no personal experience so not even sure it would work on ship's doors but might be worth a look.

Cheers

WoZ

I understand the OP has now bought a doorbell so good luck to them.

I didn't read every post in detail as I can't stand the attitude of some (I've never needed one so neither should you... dumb idea.. etc..)

Wonder if the OP has seen these door knock sensors. Removes the problem of prank doorbell ringers.

Have no personal experience so not even sure it would work on ship's doors but might be worth a look.

Cheers

WoZ

You're no fun.. That's not how ding dong ditch works.:eek:

OP will be on the balcony. You think I'm gonna stick around for him to open the door?:cool::p

Hmmm. I wonder if he'll come back and report how many times that thing was pressed. Doubtful.:rolleyes:

trust me. when the balcony door is closed( and it should be at all times except when coming and going through it) you CANNOT hear knocking or a door bell out there.

I lived this as my husband was out on the balcony when I went to take a picture of something in the hallway and like an idiot left my card in the bar. i waited almost 5 minutes while he was enjoying the sights and sounds. this was in port on embarkation day just a after the cabins were opened.

on another cruise,(celebrity) the Butler knocked so quietly that if the TV was on, or you were in the bathroom with the door closed you never heard it.

DW purchased a radio-controlled doorbell for our next cruise since she spends all of her time on the verandah and cannot hear knocking. Hearing a doorbell ring, she plans on opening the verandah door and shouting, "Come in" if we have left the door unlatched for pending visitors.

Will report back on how it works.