Any downside in paying in installments?

chfenton

Hi,

So I have a sizeable final payment due by the end of April for a royal loft suite cruise for our family this summer that I booked direct through the RCCL website. It is completely psychological, I know, but I will feel better making a lot of 1,000 at a time payments over the next few months as opposed to one huge final payment prior to its due date.

As long as I am still before final payment due date--is there any downside in doing it this way---any and all deposit amounts prior to the dates listed on the reservation for penalties would be refundable God forbid we had to cancel/change--is that correct? Anyone else do it this way--is there a limit as to how many payments you can make towards a reservation?

Thanks!

The only downside is that the cruise line has your money instead of you. If short term investment accounts were paying any real interest, it might have an effect, but RCI has, and is using your money to make more for themselves. The only other drawback that I could think of, would be if yo had to cancel your trip for some reason, instead of waiting on a refund of the deposit amount, you would be waiting on a refund of all monies paid up to that point. Meaning if you had some freak emergency and needed that cash for some reason, you're not getting it back immediately, which in case of an emergency, may put you in a bind.

From what's been posted on this site over the past few months, I wouldn't make the payments through the Royal Caribbean website. There have been errors.

I'll second this tip and will never pay online again as a "glitch" when making an online payment caused RCI's system to re-price our cruise and cause an incorrect (+$2300 error) balance due. I'll now pay a little each month, by phone, requesting an updated Booking Confirmation with each payment.

I use my RCL Visa card and make payments either through a RCL rep (previous cruise) or through TA (current cruise), get double points for RCL charges, then as points total enough to cash in, I cash then in towards the cost of the cruise. I leave a little bit for the final payment date. I don't like having such a big charge at the final payment date. I've also heard that if there is a price reduction and I've already paid in full, then I can't get the cruise price adjusted, but if not paid in full, then I can get the adjustment by either on board credit or reduced cost of cruise. Don't know if this works or no, never had a cruise price reduced.

I've also heard that if there is a price reduction and I've already paid in full, then I can't get the cruise price adjusted, but if not paid in full, then I can get the adjustment by either on board credit or reduced cost of cruise. Don't know if this works or no, never had a cruise price reduced.

This is a common misconception. It's not after you've paid in full but rather, after the cruise line's final payment due date.