Damaged Cabins on the Serenade?

I've read everything I can find, but I have yet to see how much the affected cabins were damaged? What type of damage? I am almost certain that our balcony cabin on deck 10 was one of the affected ones from what I've seen, but we don't sail for five weeks. If anyone is "in the know" please fill me in. Thanks so much!

The bigger issue was that the burst water pipe caused an electrical failure. From what I read all cabinda in the forward fire zone were without power and that is why there were so many displaced passengers, not because all those cabins were damaged. Bit was probably only a few cabins that actually had damage and those would be easily fixed.

The bigger issue was that the burst water pipe caused an electrical failure. From what I read all cabinda in the forward fire zone were without power and that is why there were so many displaced passengers, not because all those cabins were damaged. Bit was probably only a few cabins that actually had damage and those would be easily fixed.

This was my thought as well. Only surmising here (w/o info from RCI this is what we are left with) but the big problem seems to be electrical rather than some relatively minor cabin flooding. Carpet, furniture & bedding can be easily replaced on the fly. Tracing damaged electrical circuits on a vessel the size of a cruise ship is another matter all together.

Granted, my interest is an upcoming cruise on this ship and how this accident might affect the next few future sailings. That being said I feel bad for those who missed their cruise due to this issue and those who are scrambling to make alternative plans in the event next weeks sailing is disrupted.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by stones902

This was my thought as well. Only surmising here (w/o info from RCI this is what we are left with) but the big problem seems to be electrical rather than some relatively minor cabin flooding. Carpet, furniture & bedding can be easily replaced on the fly. Tracing damaged electrical circuits on a vessel the size of a cruise ship is another matter all together.

Granted, my interest is an upcoming cruise on this ship and how this accident might affect the next few future sailings. That being said I feel bad for those who missed their cruise due to this issue and those who are scrambling to make alternative plans in the event next weeks sailing is disrupted.

Forgot to add that power to the theatre was restored today and that it was back in operation for tonight.

I haven't read anything about flooding, just electrical problems, so I'm gong under the assumption that once they replace the damaged electrical components the cabins will be back in business. I would say the theater reopening is a very good sign.:)

If you're not following, Havana Daydreamin is posting live from this week's cruise -- with pictures and Compasses!:D Here's a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2155768

I haven't read anything about flooding, just electrical problems, so I'm gong under the assumption that once they replace the damaged electrical components the cabins will be back in business. I would say the theater reopening is a very good sign.:)

If you're not following, Havana Daydreamin is posting live from this week's cruise -- with pictures and Compasses!:D Here's a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2155768

Passengers on the prior cruise reported a broken pipe on deck 11. I'm speculating that the water may have infiltrated some of the electrical components causing problems towards the bow of the ship.

I don't know if the water broken water pipe was fresh, gray or sewage. That would impact the cleanup.

At any rate, I agree it's great that the theater is open. Lots of electronics down there so I take that as a very good sign.

Ken, Could you talk more about the "fire zone"? Is there a way to see a map of the "fire zones" on the ship?

Thank you for the link, but most of his photos wouldn't post for me.

Ken, Could you talk more about the "fire zone"? Is there a way to see a map of the "fire zones" on the ship?

Most deck plans won't show them, you have to look for them on the ship. They are where the doors are that fold back or slide back into the walls in the hallways.

Having said that, looking at the Serenade's deck 10 plan here on CC, I can give you a pretty good guess:

Fire zone 1 extends from the bow to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1020/1520.

Fire zone 2 extends aft from there to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1036/1536.

Fire zone 3 extends aft from there to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1048/1548.

Fire zone 4 extends aft from there to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1060/1562 (though the atrium may be subdivided from these).

Fire zone 5 extends aft from there to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1086/1586.

Fire zone 6 extends aft from there to the stern most cabins.

These may be numbered in reverse order (some ships go one way, some the other), and there may be further zones right forward and aft lower down, though 6 to 7 zones is pretty typical.

Each fire zone will have it's own ventilation and A/C system, and electrical sub-panels. I believe the leaking pipe damaged the subpanel, so repairing that is fairly simple, provided the required parts are available (many times they will have a couple of spare breakers, etc, but not enough to renew an entire panel.

Gray and black (sewage) water pipes have very little water in them, especially at the upper decks. Gray water is gravity down, so the water will not remain in the pipes any length of time, and black water uses the vacuum to move the water almost immediately to the engine room. Pressurized fresh water is most likely to cause damage to electrical panels, as most panels onboard are "drip proof", meaning you have to spray water at them for them to leak.

A water leak on one deck is not likely to damage cabins on other decks, unless it flooded down a stairwell, and even then not too likely. My educated guess is that a potable water line on deck 11 broke and shorted the fire zone's subpanel. Each circuit must be checked before restoring power to it, and this can take a while, and things like the larger capacity breakers for the lighting in the theater, sound system, etc, may not be stocked onboard as much as cabin feeder breakers.

Edited by chengkp75

Most deck plans won't show them, you have to look for them on the ship. They are where the doors are that fold back or slide back into the walls in the hallways.

Having said that, looking at the Serenade's deck 10 plan here on CC, I can give you a pretty good guess:

Fire zone 1 extends from the bow to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1020/1520.

Fire zone 2 extends aft from there to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1036/1536.

Fire zone 3 extends aft from there to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1048/1548.

Fire zone 4 extends aft from there to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1060/1562 (though the atrium may be subdivided from these).

Fire zone 5 extends aft from there to the small gap shown aft of cabins 1086/1586.

Fire zone 6 extends aft from there to the stern most cabins.

These may be numbered in reverse order (some ships go one way, some the other), and there may be further zones right forward and aft lower down, though 6 to 7 zones is pretty typical.

Each fire zone will have it's own ventilation and A/C system, and electrical sub-panels. I believe the leaking pipe damaged the subpanel, so repairing that is fairly simple, provided the required parts are available (many times they will have a couple of spare breakers, etc, but not enough to renew an entire panel.

Gray and black (sewage) water pipes have very little water in them, especially at the upper decks. Gray water is gravity down, so the water will not remain in the pipes any length of time, and black water uses the vacuum to move the water almost immediately to the engine room. Pressurized fresh water is most likely to cause damage to electrical panels, as most panels onboard are "drip proof", meaning you have to spray water at them for them to leak.

Great insight! Thanks for posting.