Any recent free cruise redemptions using RCCL visa?

drmomsc

The choices have changed since I last redeemed my points for a cruise.

We will be on the Oasis in March and I'm trying to decide whether to save the points for a free cruise next year or just use the points now for OBC.

Anyone with recent experience? Is it still relatively easy to book the free cruise? Can you still pay the difference to upgrade to a different category?

TIA!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The choices have changed since I last redeemed my points for a cruise.

We will be on the Oasis in March and I'm trying to decide whether to save the points for a free cruise next year or just use the points now for OBC.

Anyone with recent experience? Is it still relatively easy to book the free cruise? Can you still pay the difference to upgrade to a different category?

TIA!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

With all of the BOGO sales that never seem to end, apparently all you can use points for during the sale is OBC. We did manage to hit a one week window between when one BOGO sale ended and the next one started to redeem points for a free Enchantment cruise (upgraded to a JS and paid the difference), so you need to be vigilant.

Edited by orville99

With all of the BOGO sales that never seem to end, apparently all you can use points for during the sale is OBC. We did manage to hit a one week window between when one BOGO sale ended and the next one started to redeem points for a free Enchantment cruise (upgraded to a JS and paid the difference), so you need to be vigilant.

We have been waiting to do just that! I have never redeemed for a cruise before. Can you just clarify - as long as I book the specified cruise without a sale, I can just apply the points to the booking afterwards and pay to upgrade our cabin?

Thanks!

We have been waiting to do just that! I have never redeemed for a cruise before. Can you just clarify - as long as I book the specified cruise without a sale, I can just apply the points to the booking afterwards and pay to upgrade our cabin?

Thanks!

Yes. You need to book first, since you need the booking number for them to apply the points. We booked a JS, and then called the redemption center and had them apply the 50,000 points for a free OV cabin, so we only paid the difference (I think the cruise ended up costing us ~$300 total.)

following this thread.

We almost have enough points for a free cruise and would also like to redeem.

My question is we have no idea when or what ship we want to cruise on. Probably not until sometime in 2016. Should we book something now when the sail goes off with the points???

Are the points transferable if we change cruises??

Any tips would be appreciated.

following this thread.

We almost have enough points for a free cruise and would also like to redeem.

My question is we have no idea when or what ship we want to cruise on. Probably not until sometime in 2016. Should we book something now when the sail goes off with the points???

Are the points transferable if we change cruises??

Any tips would be appreciated.

Unless you have points that are going to expire (they expire in 5 years on a first in, first out basis) I would wait until you book the cruise to apply them.

If you have to change you would KEEP the same booking number and then just change the cruise to a new ship and/or date. They would then have to re-apply the points that that cruise. I think they MAY let you transfer them to a different booking as well.

Edited by molly361

We redeemed 125,000 points for a free cruise (lowest available ov) on our recent b2b on Jewel (earlier this month). We used the points for the 2nd week. Yes, they will allow you to book under normal prices, not the bogo sale as that is what we did. Also, make sure to keep a watch on prices even after you book. We booked a balcony and they gave us $1800 (approx) value for the lowest available ov at the time) which was applied to the balcony room. There was a 2 day window when the cost of a JS was less than the cost of the balcony room we had booked. I called and we upgraded to the JS with a refund to our credit card of $140. It cost us just shy of $200 each for the JS...we were stoked!!!

Unless you have points that are going to expire (they expire in 5 years on a first in, first out basis)

That's interesting. I either didn't know it or forgot about it. We have 135000 now but I'm not sure how far back we started accumulating them. Guess I better go dig out my old BOA statements and find out. Thanks for the headsup.

We redeemed 125,000 points for a free cruise (lowest available ov) on our recent b2b on Jewel (earlier this month). We used the points for the 2nd week. Yes, they will allow you to book under normal prices, not the bogo sale as that is what we did. Also, make sure to keep a watch on prices even after you book. We booked a balcony and they gave us $1800 (approx) value for the lowest available ov at the time) which was applied to the balcony room. There was a 2 day window when the cost of a JS was less than the cost of the balcony room we had booked. I called and we upgraded to the JS with a refund to our credit card of $140. It cost us just shy of $200 each for the JS...we were stoked!!!

Using your points in lieu of the Bogo sale seems to be a less than ideal financial tradeoff unless of course you just wanted to get rid of the points rather than using them for a future cruise. Or am I missing something?

I only used my points for a second passenger once and it was about 4 years ago. Is it for both fare and taxes/port charges? Also if you are getting a free 7 nighter (125,000 points) does the bogoho matter? I know if you are getting the second passenger free, it doesn't make sense.

Thanks everyone.

I will hang onto my points and look for a good cruise! My points are good for another 3 years- the BOGOHO has to end sometime! (I hope!)

We're in a similar situation. When we booked the bogoho for LOS in December we had enough points for a free cruise but we didn't use them because we were told that we couldn't use them for a bogoho. We'd have to use them toward a different cruise. But dcward89 was able to do it :confused:

The wife says what's the big deal, we'll just use the points for another cruise:) Fine and Dandy but I'm having a hard time understanding why we couldn't have used them for the LOS cruise. I'll make some phone calls and see if I can get a clear answer on this.

We're in a similar situation. When we booked the bogoho for LOS in December we had enough points for a free cruise but we didn't use them because we were told that we couldn't use them for a bogoho. We'd have to use them toward a different cruise. But dcward89 was able to do it :confused:

The wife says what's the big deal, we'll just use the points for another cruise:) Fine and Dandy but I'm having a hard time understanding why we couldn't have used them for the LOS cruise. I'll make some phone calls and see if I can get a clear answer

The answer that I got was that if we used the BOGOHO we couldn't use the points. If we wanted to use the points, we would have had to pay regular price without the sale, which was $400 higher. Didn't make sense to us. Guess I will just have to hope the quit this sale sooner or later.

Edited by waterbugohio

Yes. You need to book first, since you need the booking number for them to apply the points. We booked a JS, and then called the redemption center and had them apply the 50,000 points for a free OV cabin, so we only paid the difference (I think the cruise ended up costing us ~$300 total.)

Thanks so much for your help! I'll just keep monitoring and hope the inflated BOGO sale skips a beat so we can book something and use the points. Glad you found an opening and were able to use yours!

That's interesting. I either didn't know it or forgot about it. We have 135000 now but I'm not sure how far back we started accumulating them. Guess I better go dig out my old BOA statements and find out. Thanks for the headsup.

You can just call the card customer service and they will tell you when your points will expire..

I only used my points for a second passenger once and it was about 4 years ago. Is it for both fare and taxes/port charges? Also if you are getting a free 7 nighter (125,000 points) does the bogoho matter? I know if you are getting the second passenger free, it doesn't make sense.

They can't be used towards port fees and taxes. I would think it would not matter if you take the BOGOHO off as long as you can get the $2500 value (I think that is the max for the 125,000.

Thanks everyone.

I will hang onto my points and look for a good cruise! My points are good for another 3 years- the BOGOHO has to end sometime! (I hope!)

We are waiting also. Will call and see when any of my points expire. I think we have some time as I used some of them two years ago for OBC.

Lets all just hope this BOGOHO sale eventually ends!!!

Your post just reminded me, so I went to the website, redeemed my points for OBC and printed the receipt. The only thing that I believe has changed is it just asked for my ship and sail date, it didn't ask for my reservation number as my questionable memory says it did last time, so I added it in the comments. A week from today I will call Crown and Anchor and verify it applied. This certainly is an easier process than it was 5 years ago. Oh, I did print the receipt for my points redemption.

The RCCL card seems so complicated. I have a Carnival credit card. When I want to redeem for a cruise I charge the cruise to my credit card. This way I also get double points for a "carnival" purchase. I then pay off my credit card with my accumulated points. Does this not work for RCCL also? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

If you use your points knowing they are NOT REFUNDABLE no matter what happens, can they be moved from one reservation to another?

I am looking at a cruise I booked and made final payment 2 weeks ago this cruise has dropped about $2800 now I am ok with canceling my original booking take the $450 cancelation fee and rebooking at the new price but I used $1,000 worth of points will I lose that ?

If you use your points knowing they are NOT REFUNDABLE no matter what happens, can they be moved from one reservation to another?

I am looking at a cruise I booked and made final payment 2 weeks ago this cruise has dropped about $2800 now I am ok with canceling my original booking take the $450 cancelation fee and rebooking at the new price but I used $1,000 worth of points will I lose that ?

They have let me transfer them in the past.