Marseille, France

Cruisingalong2012

I lived on the Cote D'Azur for a period, and can only back up what other posters have said.....Saint Paul DE Vence, whilst stunning, is totally unsuitable for a daytime from Marseille. Road traffic between Easter and autumn is too unpredictable.

Previous suggestions of Aix and Cassis are far more suitable.

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

In the Luberon my favourite places is Gordes which is a large-ish hilltop village. Lots of little shops and cafés. Very nice and great views.... Another lovely place to visit - get there easily from Marseilles in about 45 mins - is Cassis. The old port there is small and beautiful and there are boat trips you can take to the Calanques - high limestone cliffs forming lovely little bays.

+1 for your recommendation of Gordes and Cassis. The boat ride was particularly charming.

Is Gordes the village with all the art stores? I have a nagging memory of driving up to some town -- I think it was Gordes -- perched on the rocks that are vividly red colored. I remember driving up, noting the distinctive color, and thinking of Da Vinci's famous red drawings. I wasn't surprised to learn that this town -- again, I'm not certain which town -- is the source of the red chalk/pastels that artists have used for centuries.

Can anyone confirm or correct me about Gordes' link to the famous red chalk art supplies?

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Can anyone confirm or correct me about Gordes' link to the famous red chalk art supplies?

Can you be thinking of Rousillon - in the heart of the Ocher earths so widely used as gold, orange, and red pigments in paint and pastels? My memory of the town is very rusty red, whereas my memory of Gordes is predominantly beige/greige limestone - like most Provencal towns and cities.

Can you be thinking of Rousillon - in the heart of the Ocher earths so widely used as gold, orange, and red pigments in paint and pastels? My memory of the town is very rusty red, whereas my memory of Gordes is predominantly beige/greige limestone - like most Provencal towns and cities.

Roussillon! You're right! I visited a lot of places during 2 1/2 weeks of independent travel in both the Western regions of Provence. (e.g. Orange , Avignon, Marseille and the Luberon) and the Eastern regions of Provence, ending in Nice. I wasn't confident I'd gotten my Luberon towns right, but the memory of that vivid red earth and rock is indelible. Thanks for the correction.

Can you give me an email address for William Templar

Contact him through his web site, onedayinprovence.com. ( spell check is trying to correct this. One day in Provence is his company)

The web site has a contact section and form to fill out. I was not the trip organizer but I had read about him on tripadvisor. We loved his tour and he is most professional And informative.

Roussillon! You're right! I visited a lot of places during 2 1/2 weeks of independent travel in both the Western regions of Provence. (e.g. Orange , Avignon, Marseille and the Luberon) and the Eastern regions of Provence, ending in Nice. I wasn't confident I'd gotten my Luberon towns right, but the memory of that vivid red earth and rock is indelible. Thanks for the correction.

Not meant as a correction. Thank you for bringing back memories - I almost got out my travel notes to make sure it was the name of the town I was remembering. And a flood of other memories came with it, so I hoped you might have the same result. Loved my many trips throughout Provence, and over to Nice and Monte Carlo. Thanks

Roussillon is about 10km from Gordes. And is absolutely dramatic when you see the sunset on those rocks. We usually stay in a place called Joucas and our hotel serves dinner on the terrace which faces Roussillon... I really prefer the Gordes side of the valley to the Ménerbes / Lacoste side. More low key I suppose.

We were just there in June..so we did Provence. I am scrambling for something to do as this time we will be there TWICE. Ugh!

This thread is teeming with recommendations. And yet, you're using words like struggling to find things to do on your port calls. This is a little confusing.

For your benefit, here's a summary of all the suggestions.

Post #5: visit Aix or Arles or Les Baux

Post #6: visit Cassis and take a boat ride along the cliffs

Post #7: visit Avignon

Post #10: visit L'Isle-sur-la Sorgue

Post #16: visit Gordes

Post #29: visit Rousillon

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Here is an example of a snarky response. We were just there is June of 2014. We have done Provence, and I am looking for something to do on these two cruises. Being kind shines through...being sarcastic just doesn't work. Yes, I am trying to find something close to do, at least one of the two segments that we are on! Something close...as you can see, I asked about the Petit train.

Caroldoll...We have been to Marseille twice, as well. We did the choochoo train tour etc 1st time and 2nd time we took a taxi to Aix. When on a river cruise on the Rhone we stopped in Avignon and I really enjoyed it. I checked and it is about an hour from Marseille and possibly something to consider if the logistics work out. I do not recommend Arles.

We were there on two different days in October and found enough within Marseilles to keep us busy and satisfy our curiosity about this historic port. My wife is an avid gardener so we spent most of a day at Borély park. Locals helped us buy a daily bus pass and gave us directions on how to find the park - actually quite a nice ride along the seafront. The park is enormous and contains a special garden behind huge locked gates. You pay admission and they arrange for a security guard to open the gates and then you are locked in until you want to leave. This was a very pleasant change from crowded tourist sites.

You can easily take a bus up to the cathedral - of course you can take the little train, but I am either a snob or easily embarrassed, but I not be caught on such a goofy looking contraption (but that is just me).

OMG, I think the little train is "cute", but I think we need to make it up to the Cathedral. I have to say, even though we travel a lot, I am a little offput by things I have heard about this city! Everyone...almost everyone has been so helpful. The gardens sound grand...even though I am not good with plants! LOL...other things, but not plants. I am glad your wife excels. I think you are in B.C. JUST LOVELY is all I can say.

Here is an example of a snarky response. We were just there is June of 2014. We have done Provence, and I am looking for something to do on these two cruises. Being kind shines through...being sarcastic just doesn't work. Yes, I am trying to find something close to do, at least one of the two segments that we are on! Something close...as you can see, I asked about the Petit train.

Here's what you wrote: "We have done Provence." You provided no detail either your original post and only minutes ago provided more information.

You've been on CC long enough to know that dozens of people post messages with titles like, "How we did Rome in a day." "How we did Florence from Livorno." and "How we did Paris from Le Havre." The reality is that those cruisers barely scratched the surface.

Responders only know the information you've provided. Without supplying detail, how is anyone supposed to know that your trip to Provence was thorough -- different from posters who have done a superficial whirlwind visit someplace and declared it "done"?

You have just posted information about having visited Aix and Cassis. Unless there are other places you aren't listing, we'll agree to disagree on whether or not you have done Provence.

My definition of close includes a visit to Aix and most of the towns that were mentioned in the thread. Yours apparently doesn't. But that doesn't mean I'm snarky by calling them to your attention.

Sorry you can't see that you didn't supply enough information to generate a response that pleases you more. But you ought to hold off on the snarky accusations if you don't give folks the tools to work with.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

We were just there in June..so we did Provence. I am scrambling for something to do as this time we will be there TWICE. Ugh!

Caroldoll, if you've been to Eze and liked that...perhaps finding a tour of Les Baux and either Arles or St. Remy for one of your two upcoming visits. Arles fits better for a full day tour, St. Remy for a more leisurely day. Personally, I enjoyed St. Remy more than Arles, but there is a not as much too see in St. Remy. A nice lunch outside on the main square in St. Remy on a warm day would be delightful. If my memory is correct, the road between St. Remy and Les Baux is lined with plane trees.

On the second time around, perhaps enjoy what Marseille has to offer. We enjoyed Vieux Port and going up to the cathedral. Lunch, which could have been memorable, was a miss because we didn't research. With a little research on Trip Advisor, you'll probably find somewhere to enjoy a traditional Bouillabaisse as previously suggested in one of the posts.

The only time we visited Marseille on a cruise ship, we actually stayed in town and did not travel further afield....but enjoyed the day immensely. However, we had previously spent a week in Provence on a land trip.

I guess it's just a gut feel, but I think Les Baux would be something that would appeal to you.

We did Aix the last time and Cassis. I am thinking one time the "little train", and I am trying to find something relatively close. The traffic, as you know, is horrible. Of all places to be twice!

We visited Marseille for first time from a Riviera cruise in Sep. Took free shuttle from ship. Queue for little train was enormous so we started walking around the old port and discovered a hop on hop off, open top bus starting just beyond the train. So took that instead. Traffic was heavy but gave us time to take some nice pictures. And maybe being higher up helped too. Goes up to cathedral. Used rest of time to watch world go by from a cafe near town hall where two weddings were taking place! Next time I would like to investigate further afield so glad to hear all these suggestions!

We are thinking St. Remy if we can get a driver and also the little train to the cathedral. We have spent quite a bit of time in Provence, and enjoyed it a lot. This probably will be our last trip to Europe so we are hoping to make it memorable. All of your kind suggestions have helped. Traffic was horrible in town and on the roads to Provence..this was kind of time consuming! Thank you, thank you...you are so nice to help. There was another little town that Portofinoitaly mentioned..we are looking in to that as well.