28th November Voyager/ Explorer Sydney

Sailing on Voyager on 28th November departing Sydney 6pm and the Explorer will be arriving Sydney 7.30pm. Wonder where in the harbour they will cross paths.

I would imagine with those times, both will be outside the heads with the harbour pilot possibly swapping from one ship to the other.:D

If this is Explorer's first visit then i wonder if rccl would be employing some form of marketing mid harbour.

Yep was thinking the same thing. An opportunity for a photoshoot of the two 'megaliners' in front of the Sydney harbour backdrop, maybe?

Explorer could come in earlier and wait around Athol Bouy until Voyager has sailed . It would be a great photo op to get them both in the harbour with the iconc Opera House and Bridge as a backdrop.

True but then why have the 90 minute difference in time, surely only 30 mins would be enough.:D

I remember when Voyager came in for the first time, and Celebrity Millennium had been in port that day, they passed each other somewhere around Fort Dennison.

I'm with Kiwi Kruzer, it would be a great marketing excercise to have both ships passing each other nearer the harbour.

If it's anything like Voyager's very first arrival, there will be a load of onlookers at the OPT!!

I remember when Voyager came in for the first time, and Celebrity Millennium had been in port that day, they passed each other somewhere around Fort Dennison.

I'm with Kiwi Kruzer, it would be a great marketing excercise to have both ships passing each other nearer the harbour.

If it's anything like Voyager's very first arrival, there will be a load of onlookers at the OPT!!

I imagine there will be a multitude of spectators if they announce it properly.:D

True but then why have the 90 minute difference in time, surely only 30 mins would be enough.:D

Nah, it takes close to that just for Voyager to clear the area.

Then when clear, Explorer has to come in, tie up, get cleared and set up for disembarkment. 1.5 hours would be the minimum to plan for that.

Explorer could come in earlier and wait around Athol Bouy until Voyager has sailed . It would be a great photo op to get them both in the harbour with the iconc Opera House and Bridge as a backdrop.

Agreed, I'm sure there'll be some photos, tooting of horns and similar going on. Likely the Sydney ports water cannon will be there too.

Nah, it takes close to that just for Voyager to clear the area.

Then when clear, Explorer has to come in, tie up, get cleared and set up for disembarkment. 1.5 hours would be the minimum to plan for that.

I know that Voyager is much larger than the Celebrity Solstice or the Diamond Princess and may take a bit more manoeuvring to get away from the dock but every time we have left the OPT on a cruise, we have cleared the heads within 30 mins, more like 20. In any case, And I imagine they may stop or slow for a photo opportunity :D

I know that Voyager is much larger than the Celebrity Solstice or the Diamond Princess and may take a bit more manoeuvring to get away from the dock but every time we have left the OPT on a cruise, we have cleared the heads within 30 mins, more like 20. In any case, And I imagine they may stop or slow for a photo opportunity :D

Are you sure of this?!! ;) :D

Solstice is actually a bit longer than Voyager!!!

1,033 ft (314.86 m) - Solstice

1,020 ft (311 m) - Voyager of the Seas

When the dates were first announced last year, I remember several articles talking about "historic rendezvous" etc. in Sydney harbour. I sincerely hope so, as we are booked to arrive on the Explorer from Fremantle :)

When the dates were first announced last year, I remember several articles talking about "historic rendezvous" etc. in Sydney harbour. I sincerely hope so, as we are booked to arrive on the Explorer from Fremantle :)

I hope so!!

I think you guys coming in get an overnighter at the OPT. We're boarding for a 3 nighter the next day!

Think your timings are a little 'optimistic' Mic. I checked the times on my photos from Solstice Oct 2013, and it took 40 mins to get even close to North Head (where she does the last starboard turn before heading thru the heads)

I hope so!!

I think you guys coming in get an overnighter at the OPT. We're boarding for a 3 nighter the next day!

Yep, we do get an overnighter, so there is no disembarkation upon arrival.

Edited by boeckli

20 minutes from scheduled departure time to the Heads?

You must have had some very fast captains! :D

Solstice-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 121,878 GT[1]

Length: 1,033 ft (314.86 m)

Beam: 121 ft (36.88 m)

Draft: 27 ft (8.23 m)

Capacity: 2,850 passengers

Crew: 1,500

Voyager-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 137,276 GT

Length: 311 m (1,020 ft)

Beam: 38.6 m (127 ft)

Height: 63 m (206.69 ft)

Draught: 8.8 m (29 ft)

Capacity: 3,138 passengers

Crew: 1,181 crew

Seem to remember something on that line as well.

Certainly seems likely that rccl will put on a show of passing ships around Fort Denison. Cunard did the same when the two Queens passed each other.

Solstice-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 121,878 GT[1]

Length: 1,033 ft (314.86 m)

Beam: 121 ft (36.88 m)

Draft: 27 ft (8.23 m)

Capacity: 2,850 passengers

Crew: 1,500

Voyager-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 137,276 GT

Length: 311 m (1,020 ft)

Beam: 38.6 m (127 ft)

Height: 63 m (206.69 ft)

Draught: 8.8 m (29 ft)

Capacity: 3,138 passengers

Crew: 1,181 crew

I had trouble convincing someone on Solstice of this last year :) They got a bit shirty with me, but hey, GT is GT.

13 ft of length is well and truly pipped by 6 ft of beam. It isn't an insult to Solstice, it is a mathematical fact. ;)

I had trouble convincing someone on Solstice of this last year :) They got a bit shirty with me, but hey, GT is GT.

13 ft of length is well and truly pipped by 6 ft of beam. It isn't an insult to Solstice, it is a mathematical fact. ;)

I love the Solstice, just hope I like VOTS as well.:D

Why would they think Solstice is bigger?

It's pretty evident that Voyager is. Solstice has the standard twin corridors. Voyager has triple primary ones!