It sounds like the HAL Cats are history!

kazu

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have someone from Seattle choose the music for me than someone from Albuquerque :D

yeah, I can hear the lyrics of "Don't Bogard that joint my friend, pass it over to me" (a real song originally recorded by The Fraternity of Man). That does sound like a song the is keeping with the philosophy of the Northwest. of perhaps we would get "The Pro Smoking Cigarette Song (actually sung by Rody Walker). So you want Seattle to choose your music? :)

Hank

I don't recall which cruise we were on, but we had Jenny and the Hal Cats - oh my. It was around the time when Mariah Carey was hitting dog-calling notes, and this young lady figured she should attempt her version of vocal acrobatics. The Ocean Bar was the location highlighting the Hal Cats with a pretty sparse audience for the entire cruise. Since that time we've had better lead singers, with none could quite compare to Jenny, thankfully.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You are correct and win the Purple Medallion (we know how HAL fans love those worthless pieces of tin). And therrin lies the problem. You can hire a group of musicians, give them music, and they can play and you have a group of musicians playing music. But a real band (or should we say good band) must work together for an extended period of time to form that special bond that makes a good band. And some bands actually have brass instruments (something jettisoned by HAL years ago).

We were recently on a Celebrity cruise that had a terrific band from the Philippines (this country has long produced some great bands). This band could play big band music for dancing, or they could do a near-perfect rendition of Hotel California or Bohemian Rhapsody (would love to hear any of the HAL Cat pick-up groups do that). They actually attracted crowds when they did an afternoon set at the pool deck where they would play many classic rock favorites (which they did not usually play during their dance sets inside the ship). Their lead female singer could sing a perfect Celine Dion number one minute, and then do a near perfect Janis Joplin the next minute.

HAL has tried an interesting experiment where they staff each ship with a group of professional musicians (woodwinds, piano, drums, guitars/strings) and expect them to bond together to play any type of music. These so-called HAL Cats can sometimes form into a decent band (until one of their contracts runs out) but most of the time they are just mediocre musicians playing mediocre music. HAL can do a lot better if they spend a few more dollars and hire good bands that already know how to play together.

Hank

Ditto on the Celebrity Philipino Bands ! You may be referring to D'Revelations which we had on one of our cruises - they were truly terrific playing music styles for everyone & always had everyone up & dancing.

Speaking of dancing we are sailing on our first HAL cruise- the Eurodam in March. This thread talks about the HAL Cats being gone. Were they a band playing a variety of dance music ?? From the various posts does not sound like it. We very much enjoy dancing to a variety of music - one of the reasons we are trying HAL. Other than the BB King Blues Group can anyone who has sailed on a recent NA or Eurodam sailing fill me in on what our options may be if any?? Many thanks!

Ditto on the Celebrity Philipino Bands ! You may be referring to D'Revelations which we had on one of our cruises - they were truly terrific playing music styles for everyone & always had everyone up & dancing.

Speaking of dancing we are sailing on our first HAL cruise- the Eurodam in March. This thread talks about the HAL Cats being gone. Were they a band playing a variety of dance music ?? From the various posts does not sound like it. We very much enjoy dancing to a variety of music - one of the reasons we are trying HAL. Other than the BB King Blues Group can anyone who has sailed on a recent NA or Eurodam sailing fill me in on what our options may be if any?? Many thanks!

there are indeed other options. If you want to take a look at the On Locations for the Nieuw Amsterdam at http://www.halfacts.com it will give you a good idea. under the General Info tab, you will find several recent On Locations. You can also find cabin pics etc. on the Signature Class ship by clicking on that tab at the top of the page.

http://halfacts.com/nieuw-amsterdam-on-locations-nov-16th-22nd-2014-caribbean/

http://halfacts.com/on-locations-nieuw-amsterdam-nov-30-dec-1314-caribbean/

http://halfacts.com/eurodam-eastern-caribbean-on-location-dec-14-20-2014/

Edited by kazu

thanks much Jaqui~ Yes, I've been to HAL facts & the On Locations for the Dec , 2014. Looks like guitarists, piano, etc.,. I was more hopeful before the negative comments about the HAL Cats. Thought they were a "dance" band. Now they are gone, so we shall see. Will report back - thanks again!!

thanks much Jaqui~ Yes, I've been to HAL facts & the On Locations for the Dec , 2014. Looks like guitarists, piano, etc.,. I was more hopeful before the negative comments about the HAL Cats. Thought they were a "dance" band. Now they are gone, so we shall see. Will report back - thanks again!!

There should still be a band playing - depending on the ship - Ocean Bar?

Negative comments come from the HALcats playing on the Lido deck and sometimes at HMC which has no effect on dancing.

The HALCats by any other name (or by no name at all) would sound as ....

It isn't the name of the band that matters, it's how good each musician is, and how the group gels as a whole.

It's the style of music they play. Is it appropriate for the venue, and purpose.

If there's a singer, it's how well that person sings.

And it's certainly a question of if the group believes that louder is better.

I don't care what the various bands or groups on the ships are called. I do care that the music is enjoyable to listen to. It remains to be seen if this is an improvement or not.

Agree. The HALCats on our cruises have been excellent with top quality musicians. There will have to be a stage band by whatever name to accompany the guest musicians if nothing else. Should they go to canned CDs and eliminate the stage band, this would be a major downgrade in my opinion.

Why anyone would view discontinuing this music as a good move by HAL is beyond me. Although I can't speak for other ships, these performers were amazing on both of our 2014 NA cruises. They are recruited through some type of booking agent or talent provider.

On our December NA cruise, I was very surprised to learn that the singer had just joined the group on the departure date. They played extremely well together and all their shows seemed well rehearsed; no miscues and I heard them a lot throughout the week.

The musicians were great and even performed some jazz songs that I would have never expected. Four, including the lovely singer, were American and one guitarist was from Russia. All were very talented. In addition to playing as a group, they also provided the music for the incredible Cantare show, as well as the guest performer Tricia Kelly. I also believe that they provided the music for Dancing with the Stars competition. If HAL is really discontinuing these performances, that is unfortunate and I personally hope that they reconsider this.

I agree with Richard. I have always enjoyed the live music & entertainment on HAL. I am impressed that the house band only has a 30/40 minute rehearsal with guest entertainers & then it's showtime. Not easy. Music too loud for some? Why blame the musicians? Acoustics & sound technicians could be the problem. If you are looking for top notch entertainment, go to Vegas. For all the complainers, be happy you are on this side of the earth & not the other side. Chill out & enjoy your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with Richard. I have always enjoyed the live music & entertainment on HAL. I am impressed that the house band only has a 30/40 minute rehearsal with guest entertainers & then it's showtime. Not easy. Music too loud for some? Why blame the musicians? Acoustics & sound technicians could be the problem. If you are looking for top notch entertainment, go to Vegas. For all the complainers, be happy you are on this side of the earth & not the other side. Chill out & enjoy your cruise.

Who is complaining - I'm giving HAL a compliment for trading up from the Hal Cats for the BB King Club band. Fun, experienced performers that rocked the Westerdam in December 2014. Best blues I've heard since my last visit to Beale Street that filled the dance floor. Too loud? Invest in 50 cent ear plugs (problem solved).

I don't recall which cruise we were on, but we had Jenny and the Hal Cats - oh my. It was around the time when Mariah Carey was hitting dog-calling notes, and this young lady figured she should attempt her version of vocal acrobatics. The Ocean Bar was the location highlighting the Hal Cats with a pretty sparse audience for the entire cruise. Since that time we've had better lead singers, with none could quite compare to Jenny, thankfully.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Was Jenny a blonde singer with short hair. In 2009 aboard the Westerdam in Seattle on the first cruise of the season to Alaska, it was the best "HAL CATS' performers we've ever encountered. They played out on the aft pool deck.

They did some current music, and some from them 50s. I found out later this young lady (who is Canadian) has released three albums and is quite popular in Canada. I can't remember her name. Just that she was pretty and the noise was very low, but did she have a great voice. One song was from her first album, and I think another one was in French.

After that, we've never heard or stayed around along long enough to see the other HAL CATS.