It sounds like the HAL Cats are history!

kazu

I just heard from a CC friend on the N Amsterdam. There are no Hal Cats. Instead there is a band. When they asked a member of the entertainment staff they told them that they are gone. This was the first week it was implemented.

I just heard from a CC friend on the N Amsterdam. There are no Hal Cats. Instead there is a band. When they asked a member of the entertainment staff they told them that they are gone. This was the first week it was implemented.

Who were the HAL Cats?

Who were the HAL Cats?

Sort of a house band with a vocalist. Quality varied a bit, mostly depending on the singer.

So I take it that Amber and the HAL Cats is now "the band, featuring Amber?" ;)

Or is just a band with no singer?

Sort of a house band with a vocalist. Quality varied a bit, mostly depending on the singer.

So I take it that Amber and the HAL Cats is now "the band, featuring Amber?" ;)

Or is just a band with no singer?

I just got a brief message from my CC friend as they are on board. It sounds like it is just a band but I don't want to swear to it.

I will e them back and hopefully when they have internet/time, they will let me know.

So no Hal Cats, now we just have a band. Ok, so now did we just drop the name but it's sill the same group? Is there still a singer? Does the 'group' have a name? Are they playing in the Ocean bar? Out by the Lido pool? .........so many questions.

Edited by PathfinderEss

So no Hal Cats, now we just have a band. Ok, so now did we just drop the name but it's sill the same group? Is there still a singer? Does the 'group' have a name? Are they playing in the Ocean bar? Out by the Lido pool? .........so many questions.

I have already e'd the CC member to see if there was a singer.

they were in the Ocean Bar.

I have also asked the CC member about the Lido and if it is canned music now, but remember they are on the ship, the messages are short and they don't e me every day ;)

If they have time or wifi, I hope they answer. If not I will find out when they return.

Just wanted to alert everyone as it was a shock to them.

The HALCats by any other name (or by no name at all) would sound as ....

It isn't the name of the band that matters, it's how good each musician is, and how the group gels as a whole.

It's the style of music they play. Is it appropriate for the venue, and purpose.

If there's a singer, it's how well that person sings.

And it's certainly a question of if the group believes that louder is better.

I don't care what the various bands or groups on the ships are called. I do care that the music is enjoyable to listen to. It remains to be seen if this is an improvement or not.

I have already e'd the CC member to see if there was a singer.

they were in the Ocean Bar.

I have also asked the CC member about the Lido and if it is canned music now, but remember they are on the ship, the messages are short and they don't e me every day ;)

If they have time or wifi, I hope they answer. If not I will find out when they return.

Just wanted to alert everyone as it was a shock to them.

Thanks Kazu, it will be interesting to get more information on this change.

It isn't the name of the band that matters, it's how good each musician is, and how the group gels as a whole.

It's the style of music they play. Is it appropriate for the venue, and purpose.

I don't care what the various bands or groups on the ships are called. I do care that the music is enjoyable to listen to. It remains to be seen if this is an improvement or not.

I agree. Even with the same name - the HALcats were variable. The group we had on our Zaandam cruise seemed to just be putting in their time each evening - no audience interaction, no real passion, real bland. The group we had on our Veendam cruise I loved! They were also part of the main show "orchestra" on several occasions, and were quite good.

Last year on the Eurodam we had 2 sets of HAL Cats. Not sure why. One group was great! The other...well, let's just say that there was a noticeable lack og chemistry between the group members. This year on the Ryndam, we really enjoyed them and missed them when they weren't up in the Crows Nest. Luck of the draw, I guess.

The Neptunes are long gone, The Adagio Strings once a quartet and now a duet and now word the Hal Cats have been replaced by the "band".

It's obvious the the refined sophistication that HAL markets itself as does not include music or musicians. Well I guess we will eventually have robot musicians and a player-piano in the piano bar whose reliability will be as good as the espresso machine in the Neptune lounge.

Less musicians no matter what name they call them means a less enjoyable cruise experience to me.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres

The Neptunes are long gone, The Adagio Strings once a quartet and now a duet and now word the Hal Cats have been replaced by the "band".

It's obvious the the refined sophistication that HAL markets itself as does not include music or musicians. Well I guess we will eventually have robot musicians and a player-piano in the piano bar whose reliability will be as good as the espresso machine in the Neptune lounge.

Less musicians no matter what name they call them means a less enjoyable cruise experience to me.

-Paul

The Neptunes are gone?? we had them on the Prinsendam and they were good. Our Adagio duet was very good.

I don't think the music is gone yet - at least I hope not.

I was hoping the HAL cats were replaced with something better.

Time will tell, I guess.

I haven't seen the Neptunes on a cruise since 2011, so I just assumed they where cut from the fleet. For Ocean Bar music they would cut the Hal-Cats in half and they would try to play the standards and jazz that the Neptune's would do really well. I appreciated the effort but it was not anywhere close to the 3 piece combo style you get with the Neptunes.

-Paul

I haven't seen the Neptunes on a cruise since 2011, so I just assumed they where cut from the fleet. For Ocean Bar music they would cut the Hal-Cats in half and they would try to play the standards and jazz that the Neptune's would do really well. I appreciated the effort but it was not anywhere close to the 3 piece combo style you get with the Neptunes.

-Paul

We had the Neptunes on our Panama Canal cruise in 2013. Spent quite a few nights in the Ocean Bar on that cruise. :)

Thanks for the news.

I will miss the HAL Cats' music in the show lounge playing with the various performers.... not so much at the Lido pool. They've been cut down to only 4 or 5 musicians recently but they were with us on Maasdam in December and I was glad of it.

We also had the Neptunes in the Ocean Bar and the Adagio Duo in Explorer's Lounge. Music is one of the big reasons we enjoyed our first cruise so very much and kept coming back. We'll see what the future brings. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Precisely. So many other reactions on this thread are VERY short sighted

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Forums

I knew something was missing on our cruise in December :) We were on the Zuiderdam and there were no HAL Cats then. They were replaced by "The Band". There were several guys playing guitars and a lady on the piano. They played in the Ocean Bar at night and sometimes played for the Zuiderdam Singers and Dancers.