It sounds like the HAL Cats are history!

kazu

On one of our longer cruises we were at the Lido bar most afternoons and wanting to hear some music. The Bartender put on some recorded music, pretty tasteful I though and as soon as he did a passenger came running up snipping about it being to loud, disturbing their card game. Well I hated to tell them but there were other people on the ship that wanted to enjoyed some nice music, but she won. Bartender laugh, as he told us, he knew that was going to happen. I hate to say this but there are some of us that don't want to listen to Lawrence Welk music, give me some Halcats.

As per earlier questions:

The piano man told our CC friend on board that there is no singer.

Leaving St. Thomas, our CC member reports that there was canned music for the Sail a Way and that there was one man on the steel drum at the aft pool.

As per earlier questions:

The piano man told our CC friend on board that there is no singer.

Leaving St. Thomas, our CC member reports that there was canned music for the Sail a Way and that there was one man on the steel drum at the aft pool.

Thanks for the update, Jacqui.

Still, this is only one cruise, on one ship. It does not necessarily signal a trend, and if it is the start of a trend, not necessarily in the right direction.

I would hope that HAL would keep at least one singer for whatever band replaces the HALCats. I wouldn't miss their absence by the Lido pool, but if I were in the Ocean Bar at night I would want to hear at least some vocals in additional to whatever instrumentals they're playing.

Apparently it must not occur to those seeking peace, quiet and conversation that there are already many, many venues on a cruise ship where they can find that in abundance. Instead, they choose to impose their desire for tranquility on all the rest who may actually enjoy music. LOL - ban the music!

It's funny but on our last HAL cruise, we thought the great Etta James classic, so nicely done by the HAL Cat singer, to be extraordinarily relaxing and enjoyable.

Just what every cruise line needs, another justification to take away the simple pleasures that some may enjoy.

I think most of us can grasp the concept that was (fill in the blanks) and the HALCats.

It appears that concept may be gone, as Kazu posted.

We just returned from a week on Nieuw Amsterdam, and there was no XXX and the HALCats on board.

My daughter's fiancé is a musician, so I had told him about the various musical groups aboard HAL ships.

When we checked the daily program we noticed there was something called "The Band" (another concept) playing ballroom music in the Ocean Bar in the early evening hours.

We don't frequent that area, put when we did pass by I heard music and no singing.

The other music venues listed were Adagio in the Explorer's Lounge, the Piano Bar entertainer, and the B.B. King's Blues Club.

There was no one playing acoustic guitar in the Crow's Nest at night.

I asked a staff member about the changes and was told that the HALCats entertainment concept was being discontinued on Vista and Signature ships.

We did have "canned" music out by the pool - all types - and there was a steel drummer out by the aft pool on occasion.

My daughter's fiancé did enjoy the various entertainment venues, especially the BBK Blues Club and Piano Bar.

During the week we had Recycled Percussion perform, a comedian one night, the HAL singers and dancers did their thing, BB King band was in the showroom one night, Cantare one night, and DWTS competition one night.

I saw two young women in very short shorts - not cargo shorts - in the MDR on a smart casual night.

Things have changed since I last cruised in March 2014! :eek:

Edited by Oceanwench

Apparently it must not occur to those seeking peace, quiet and conversation that there are already many, many venues on a cruise ship where they can find that in abundance. Instead, they choose to impose their desire for tranquility on all the rest who may actually enjoy music. LOL - ban the music!

It's funny but on our last HAL cruise, we thought the great Etta James classic, so nicely done by the HAL Cat singer, to be extraordinarily relaxing and enjoyable.

Just what every cruise line needs, another justification to take away the simple pleasures that some may enjoy.

Hal,seems to be blasting bad music everywhere on the ship now. Other than your own cabin and the dining venues I think there is music pretty much everywhere else. Am I wrong? If you're lucky you might not hear it in the library.

Hal,seems to be blasting bad music everywhere on the ship now. Other than your own cabin and the dining venues I think there is music pretty much everywhere else. Am I wrong? If you're lucky you might not hear it in the library.

But don't count on that, either.

On one of my recent cruises music was even blaring---BLARING---during the day in the Explorers Lounge. :eek: This is a quiet place, where people read.

About the only public area without piped in noise that I have found is the promenade. Even there, during the Walk for the Cause, there's blaring overhead noise.

All I ask for is a comfortable public area where I can sit and enjoy the view. Preferably one inside and one outside area, but I'll take what I can get.

I think most of us can grasp the concept that was (fill in the blanks) and the HALCats. Halcats are gone ...

I asked a staff member about the changes and was told that the HALCats entertainment concept was being discontinued on Vista and Signature ships.

We did have "canned" music out by the pool - all types - and there was a steel drummer out by the aft pool ...

.... BB King band was in the showroom ...:

The HALCats were still on the Westerdam in December 2014 but were disappointing (off key singers, poor musicians) and just played outdoors by the pool. Quite frankly, I would have preferred canned music. I have had good HALCat bands in the past but this group was sad. HOWEVER, the B.B. King Band was awesome - one of the best Blues bands I've heard outside of Beale Street in Memphis. Cruisers danced to a full crowd ever evening. A clear differentiator for me to cruise with HAL versus other lines.

A word about loud music - this seems to be the norm nowadays but my DW and I bring ear plugs. They're very cheap (a few pennies each) and for us, solve the problem if a band's volume is too loud.

I just heard from a CC friend on the N Amsterdam. There are no Hal Cats. Instead there is a band. When they asked a member of the entertainment staff they told them that they are gone. This was the first week it was implemented.

Yea! They were load and annoying.

I did see that the new ship is bring on a "band". Hope it is better quality and not just a name change.

Edited by Jade13