It sounds like the HAL Cats are history!

kazu

We had both HAL Cats and Neptunes on the Ryndam last week. However, there was a jazz group taking up much of the ship. They took over the Ocean Bar almost every evening, so we only heard the Neptunes once o twice. What surprised us was that on one evening there was no show in the main theatre but instead some movie was shown twice. The Adagio string duo was very good, as well as James in the piano bar. I almost forgot to mention that we also had a wonderful steel pan player who taught us how to play one afternoon.

Edited by jwitt2
forgot something

I do wish HAL would get the message I hear so often on CC, that we like live music but not so loud. I don't remember reading any comments (doesn't mean they aren't here) saying the music is too quiet. On our last cruise on the Prinsendam I stood outside the showroom in the back a couple of nights so I could hear the music without feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would also add the acoustics in the music venue. For example, the live music never sounds good out by the Lido pool. On the other hand, the music is pretty good in the Queen' lounge.

igraf

The HALCats by any other name (or by no name at all) would sound as ....

It isn't the name of the band that matters, it's how good each musician is, and how the group gels as a whole.

It's the style of music they play. Is it appropriate for the venue, and purpose.

If there's a singer, it's how well that person sings.

And it's certainly a question of if the group believes that louder is better.

I don't care what the various bands or groups on the ships are called. I do care that the music is enjoyable to listen to. It remains to be seen if this is an improvement or not.

I generally like listening to the Neptunes, but I still miss the excellent Filipino bands that used to play in the Ocean bar.

igraf

We had the Neptunes on our Panama Canal cruise in 2013. Spent quite a few nights in the Ocean Bar on that cruise. :)

On Westerdam right now and they still have Halcats.

Perhaps they will be phased out gradually like the Rosario Strings were once upon a time and were replaced by the Adajio strings who have now been replaced with a piano player and a violinist.

We had both HAL Cats and Neptunes on the Ryndam last week. However, there was a jazz group taking up much of the ship. They took over the Ocean Bar almost every evening, so we only heard the Neptunes once o twice. What surprised us was that on one evening there was no show in the main theatre but instead some movie was shown twice. The Adagio string duo was very good, as well as James in the piano bar. I almost forgot to mention that we also had a wonderful steel pan player who taught us how to play one afternoon.

We were on the Ryndam in December, minus the jazz group and thoroughly enjoyed the music: the HAL Cats by the pool, either the Lido or Seaview, the Steel drum player, Adagio and the Neptunes, as well as the guitarist and pianist in mix. We ate many of our lunches by the pool because of the music. I hope we enjoy our next HAL cruise as much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

They were 3 stray cats running around the Lido...

Ha ha ha, I would rather have 3 stray cats than Screamette, the singer and the Hal Cats. Usually too loud and awful soloist. As others said, they show no enthusiasm, just do their bit and clock off. Wish there was a petting zoo onboard. Probably attract a bigger crowd.[emoji57]

Thanks!

Nice to have a post reflecting facts... vs. nameless 2nd hand sources.

The CC member who reported is on the N Amsterdam at this moment as I said in post #1. Along with internet issues, the respected CC member onboard did not want it known they were on the cruise and so they asked me to post.

The CC member who reported is on the N Amsterdam at this moment as I said in post #1. Along with internet issues, the respected CC member onboard did not want it known they were on the cruise and so they asked me to post.

Not to worry, Kazu. Those of us who are familiar with your posting history know that you are not given to wild speculation and the posting of rumours as gospel. :)

I do wish HAL would get the message I hear so often on CC, that we like live music but not so loud. I don't remember reading any comments (doesn't mean they aren't here) saying the music is too quiet. On our last cruise on the Prinsendam I stood outside the showroom in the back a couple of nights so I could hear the music without feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If this music is good, loud is fine by me.... But music to one's ears may be hated by another's.

For those about to rock, I salute you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bottom line for us is that if they don't improve the quality of the band the name or lack of name makes no difference. HALCats, HALDogs, HALWhatever.......bad is bad. :)

So what kind of music is on HAL? My first and only HAL cruise was so port intensive ( Greece, Italy etc ) that we were asleep by 9:00 most nights.

I love 50's-current, show tunes, blues and soul but hate the Lawerence Welkish stuff ( is that called big band? )

So - my cruise on Noordam in March 2013 had 2 sets of HAL Cats. One was dire, the other was fantastic! Last year on same ship HAL Cats were not good. BUT, thank goodness for BB King's Blues Club. Kept this gal a rocking, that's for sure. Looking forward to rocking again in 27 days! And I'm fussy about music. Son has a band in Vegas and they rock!!!!!!! Just sayin........

The HAL Cats are nothing more than a name. Does anyone think that the same band can be playing on multiple ships around the world at the same time? The members change all of the time and only the name remains which is used by HAL kind of like a trademark band. The same group could be called The Skunks if you thought they stunk.

So what kind of music is on HAL? My first and only HAL cruise was so port intensive ( Greece, Italy etc ) that we were asleep by 9:00 most nights.

I love 50's-current, show tunes, blues and soul but hate the Lawerence Welkish stuff ( is that called big band? )

It really differs from ship to ship and certainly depends on your personal tastes. Now my upfront caveat is that we don't like the bigger Vista and Signature ships so stick with the R and S class ships like the Ryndam, Veendam, Maasdam, and Volendam. Other than the shows, which we rarely go to, the nightly entertainment venues are pretty much limited to the Piano Bar, Ocean Bar, and Crow's Nest. Over the years, and I think they still had sails with oars sticking outside the ship when we started with HAL, those venues have slipped in quality. :( Certainly the Crow's Nest today is not the Crow's Nest of twenty years ago. I single it out as that was, and still is our favorite bar, but we've gone from a crew band to a contract band to an occasional performer to a disc jockey over the years. For us it once had a very, almost old time, nightclub atmosphere and it normally was pretty busy. It once wasn't unusual to have two or more bartenders and five or more wait staff. Our last cruise you could have passed away up there and it would have taken hours for them to find you. :rolleyes::)

"Lawrence Welk music" wouldn't generally be termed "Big Band", but you won't find much of either on HAL any more. It's been years since that era of music was on their regular playlist.

Once in a while you may hear some "Big Band" music in the Ocean Bar at cocktail time, but that's about it.

The HAL Cats are nothing more than a name. Does anyone think that the same band can be playing on multiple ships around the world at the same time? The members change all of the time and only the name remains which is used by HAL kind of like a trademark band. The same group could be called The Skunks if you thought they stunk.

You are correct and win the Purple Medallion (we know how HAL fans love those worthless pieces of tin). And therrin lies the problem. You can hire a group of musicians, give them music, and they can play and you have a group of musicians playing music. But a real band (or should we say good band) must work together for an extended period of time to form that special bond that makes a good band. And some bands actually have brass instruments (something jettisoned by HAL years ago).

We were recently on a Celebrity cruise that had a terrific band from the Philippines (this country has long produced some great bands). This band could play big band music for dancing, or they could do a near-perfect rendition of Hotel California or Bohemian Rhapsody (would love to hear any of the HAL Cat pick-up groups do that). They actually attracted crowds when they did an afternoon set at the pool deck where they would play many classic rock favorites (which they did not usually play during their dance sets inside the ship). Their lead female singer could sing a perfect Celine Dion number one minute, and then do a near perfect Janis Joplin the next minute.

HAL has tried an interesting experiment where they staff each ship with a group of professional musicians (woodwinds, piano, drums, guitars/strings) and expect them to bond together to play any type of music. These so-called HAL Cats can sometimes form into a decent band (until one of their contracts runs out) but most of the time they are just mediocre musicians playing mediocre music. HAL can do a lot better if they spend a few more dollars and hire good bands that already know how to play together.

Hank