Is it appropriate to wear nice denim jeans in the MDR?

ChrissyBTX

I'm packing now, heading to CA in the morning to do B2B 4 day CA coastals. It's mid winter and the pacific ocean so I think it will be cold, especially at night. Is it appropriate to wear nice denim blue jeans and a sweater for dinner in the dining room (non-formal night) with boots? I'm afraid it will be too cold for my standard light weight cruising clothes. I could bring some slacks that I wear when I go to work. I just don't want to over pack. What do you think?

I'm packing now, heading to CA in the morning to do B2B 4 day CA coastals. It's mid winter and the pacific ocean so I think it will be cold, especially at night. Is it appropriate to wear nice denim blue jeans and a sweater for dinner in the dining room (non-formal night) with boots? I'm afraid it will be too cold for my standard light weight cruising clothes. I could bring some slacks that I wear when I go to work. I just don't want to over pack. What do you think?

The coastals tend to be on the informal side, even in the MDR. I have seen jeans in the MDR on a coastal, so you should be able to "get away with them". I tend to pack lightly, but can still manage to squeeze in a pair of dress pants for the MDR.

I personally would pack the work slacks you mentioned, out of respect to Princess' guidelines (smart casual on the coastals) and the passengers who follow them. Some will agree with me, and others will say the dress-up days are dead and gone, and wear whatever you want ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002

Permissible according to Princess guidelines (only "casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining room" on smart casual nights), and not the subject of much debate here. Just remember that jeans are actually pretty heavy to pack and take forever to launder or dry.

Permissible according to Princess guidelines (only "casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining room" on smart casual nights), and not the subject of much debate here. Just remember that jeans are actually pretty heavy to pack and take forever to launder or dry.

Yes, a pair of jeans plus a pair of slacks are heavier than a pair of jeans alone but the jeans are far more versatile. If I had to choose between a pair of jeans and a pair of slacks, I'd go with the jeans.

Mine are new, the skinny jeans you wear with boots. I don't even own a pair with holes in them. Was planning to wear a nice sweater or shirt with them. I think I'll toss in a couple pair of slacks, too, and wear them the first night til I can see what the other folks are wearing. Do you think it will be chilly during the day on the ship? I've been to the CA beaches in the winter before and it was pretty cool in the middle of the day. It's been so cold here, I just can't imagine wearing summer clothes in the winter. Thanks for the input!:)

Yes, it's on the cool (for us) side here in LA the last few days (even rained today).

Bring a dressy blouse to pair with the jeans for dinner and you should be fine. I actually brought some black skinny jeans on my last cruise (Hawaiian RT) that I wore to dinner once or twice -- usually I don't bother with jeans on a cruise, especially to a warmer climate.

We live in SoCal and the weather can vary widely. Next the highs in Los Angeles are to be in the mid-70s, but on water that is not warm (at least to me). If you're going to Santa Barbara, that will probably be your warmest day. We were in Ensenada last week on the Crown and it was actually quite chili, even during the day. Our sea day was quite cold.

I like lightweight cashmere, which I wore most days last week. I also wore skinny jeans and boots and a casherme sport coat at night.

I would think layers, and maybe 1 pair of shorts just in case.

Actually, most designers have discussed wearing jeans in a more elegant way for both men and woman. Suggestions would include: dark wash, slim (more tailored fit, not baggy) Men can pair with a suit jacket, women can pair with a greater variety of things like a great blazer or dressy sweater. Keeping it monochromatic also helps.

Wear what you want. It sounds like you are on track. Sadly, Joan Rivers is gone and the real fashion police won't be on your cruise, just wannabes.

Yes, a pair of jeans plus a pair of slacks are heavier than a pair of jeans alone but the jeans are far more versatile. If I had to choose between a pair of jeans and a pair of slacks, I'd go with the jeans.

On a cooler cruise, so would I. I have several pairs of black jeans that I take with me; with a nice top and shoes, it's very difficult to tell they are jeans.

We wear jeans all the time to the MDR. No one really cares - especially me. DH even wore his tennis shoes with his suit one night because his feet were killing him from the days walk we took in Maui. He didn't even put a tie on, and I am positive that no one remembers him or where we live or will ever see us again.:rolleyes:

I have seen jeans in the MDR on a coastal, so you should be able to "get away with them".

I personally would pack the work slacks you mentioned, out of respect to Princess' guidelines (smart casual on the coastals) and the passengers who follow them.

The OP will not be 'getting away' with anything. Have you actually read the Princess' guidelines? Jeans, unless frayed or wiith holes, are specifically mentioned as being permitted, other than on formal nights. It is quite wrong to imply that the OP would not be 'acting out of respect to Princess' guidelines' and his fellow passengers.

The OP will not be 'getting away' with anything. Have you actually read the Princess' guidelines? Jeans, unless frayed or wiith holes, are specifically mentioned as being permitted, other than on formal nights. It is quite wrong to imply that the OP would not be 'acting out of respect to Princess' guidelines' and his fellow passengers.

While jeans may be allowed in the MDR these days, the majority of passengers will be a bit dressier, even in Southern California. It is out of respect for them, and wanting to look nice myself, that I pack a pair of dress pants just for the MDR. They take up very little room, even in a carry-on.

My point to the OP was that while jeans may be allowed, they still aren't the norm in the MDR. I wanted her to be able to pack with that in mind so there were no surprises once she was onboard.

Edited by Ryndam2002
spelling

Many folks wear jeans in the MDR these days. Nice jeans seem ok to me on smart casual nights. What I have difficulties with is that Princess does not seem to enforce general common sense guidelines. Just got off the Royal and on one night we sat in the MDR across from a man in flip flops who proceeded to take them off once seated. Geez...

yes