Concerned about all the bad Freedom reviews

Mirrasi

I was trying to research a little last night. I'm choosing between two cruises, Freedom of the Seas and NCL Getaway. The itineraries are almost the same. It's for me and my 9 year old son.

I noticed that the Freedom has so many negative reviews lately. But then also saw it's in drydock and I'm looking at April. A lot of complaints were on service though. Getaways were mostly positive.

I would lean towards Getaway being newer but I did pay the open $100 deposit when I went on RCCL in 2013. Plus it's out of PC and I live in Orlando. But driving to Miami for the Getaway is not that big of a deal.

The only RCL I've done was Enchantment and it was nice. Everything else has been Disney but I'm just priced out of them now.

Should I be concerned if I chose Freedom or go with the newer Getaway?

I know nothing about NCL but we were on Freedom in December when it was rerouted to Nassau and Cozumel because of propulsion problems. The staff was great. The dining room wait staff was excellent, our cabin attendant was friendly and efficient. Some of the best service we've had in the Windjammer buffet.

I gave up reading reviews. It seems the people most likely to review a cruise are the ones who had a problem. Our only problem was out of the hands of the crew - we didn't get to go to the ports we booked. Oh well, they bent over backwards to make up for it.

I was trying to research a little last night. I'm choosing between two cruises, Freedom of the Seas and NCL Getaway. The itineraries are almost the same. It's for me and my 9 year old son.

I noticed that the Freedom has so many negative reviews lately. But then also saw it's in drydock and I'm looking at April. A lot of complaints were on service though. Getaways were mostly positive.

I would lean towards Getaway being newer but I did pay the open $100 deposit when I went on RCCL in 2013. Plus it's out of PC and I live in Orlando. But driving to Miami for the Getaway is not that big of a deal.

The only RCL I've done was Enchantment and it was nice. Everything else has been Disney but I'm just priced out of them now.

I would not ever base my decision to take a cruise using someone's opinion that I don't know.

It has been a couple of years since we have been on Freedom but we loved her. We are very excited to be back on her this summer. I do not know anything about NCL but Freedom has tons of activities for you and your son. My son loved the flowrider. There is also the rock wall and ice skating. Don't worry about the reviews. Choose whichever cruise works best for you and enjoy!

Where are all these bad reviews of the Freedom?

Here on CC sorted by most recent.

I'm completely split on this choice 50/50. I have always wanted to see the Getaway, but the Freedom is closer and I've got the $100 deposit into RCCL

Where are all these bad reviews of the Freedom?

To me, the recent 'bad' reviews would be purely down to the propulsion issues before Freedom went into dry dock. I've seen just a handful quoting 'service' complaint but the same could be said of any ship for any cruise line.

I agree with FLACRUISER99; don't base your decision on the opinion of people you don't know. Every single cruiser has different expectations. You need to weigh up in your mind which cruise ship/destinations/departure point that appeal to you and go with that, with an open mind and form your own opinion.

Have a great cruise, whichever you go with :)

Here on CC sorted by most recent.

I'm completely split on this choice 50/50. I have always wanted to see the Getaway, but the Freedom is closer and I've got the $100 deposit into RCCL

I only checked the Freedom section and couldn't find anything that would deter me from booking this ship. Anything in particular you were concerned about?

I don't agree that you should ignore negative reviews from strangers but you do have to take them with a grain of salt. If you see patterns of similar complaints then that could be something to be concerned about.

Freedom has been our favorite ship, we will be on her in 3 weeks for our 3rd cruise. Always had great service in the past, and with her coming out of dry dock just this week she should be in tip top shape. I would book based on what you want, what works for your travel/convenience, and lastly price. Reviews can be helpful, but are not the be all and end all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with what previous posters have said that

1- people are more likely to take time and review a trip when they are dissatisfied and want to share that with others

2- many of the complaints I saw were due to some not feeling they handled the compensation well, that was due to propulsion problems and missed ports. This should no longer be an issue.

We sailed Freedom this past October and I can tell you we LOVED it!! Service was outstanding! ! Especially in the MDR, but good everywhere. Lots to do on the ship. Our kids who were 7, 11 & 15 loved the kids clubs and teen groups! We cant wait to get back on Freedom. Actually if we hadn't already planned a Walt Disney World trip with extended family for this October we would probably be back on Freedom again!

Have fun whichever you choose but dont let negative comments change your plans!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We are booked on Freedom in June. It will be our third cruise on Freedom because it's our favorite ship. We are so excited that the propulsion problems have been resolved. I truly think that the disappointment due to the propulsion problems caused a lot of the bad reviews. We chose FOS because of the great staff and service and the great activities offered. Between the FlowRider, rock-climbing, mini-golf, basketball court, ice skating, pool games, kid's club, pool games, I'm sure the two of you would have a great time on Freedom. We can't wait to see her after she has been freshened up in dry dock. We haven't been on the other ship, so I can't compare them. Any cruise is a good cruise, so just choose whichever makes you're most comfortable with and enjoy.

We have never had a "bad" cruise but after reading reviews of cruises we too were on, I discovered I should have had a bad cruise!:D Seriously, I've often wondered if the reviewer and I were on the same ship. A review is only someone's perception of their experience and with 2000+ cruisers on a ship, some of them are going to be unhappy about something. And unhappy people are more likely to write a review than happy ones!

I enjoy reading most reviews but I don't let them color my experience or expectations.

Sherri:)

As someone else wrote, the bad reviews recently on Freedom may have to do with the propulsion issues. The ship just came out of dry-dock so it should be in top form. We've sailed her three times and loved every cruise. We have a pretty good idea of what we'll get on all the cruise lines we sail so we pretty much only read reviews to see what others have done off the ship. Getaway maybe a great cruise but don't count Freedom out.

Edited by Big_G

We were on Freedom for our Honeymoon and are leaving again in a week. I thought it was one of the best cruises we have been on, but that was a few years ago. We did back to back weeks. One week on the Crown Princess in a suite. Got off the ship, took a taxi over to the Freedom and had an inside room for another week. I have to say the week on the Crown Princess in a suite did not compare to the week in an inside room on the Freedom..not even close!!

I will post an update when we return from the trip next week.

I agree with the other comments about not taking advice from someone you do not know. Some people have overly high and unreasonable expectations. I especially like the reviews from people who have only cruised other lines and say "guess we will have to give Carnival a try" only to find anything and everything to complain about. I find that the entertainment, food, cleanliness, friendliness of the staff etc. is just as good (and in some cases better) than other lines.

BTW.. I just noticed that my tag line does not have my NCL trips in it. I have to find those dates and add them..LOL!

Edited by crisstyd

Perhaps if you listed your specific concerns (based on reviews) we could help. DW and I cruised on Freedom last year and found it to be one of the best ever. Talk about lots to do and no doubt they have one of the best children programs.

Maybe if you shared specific concerns we can help .....or at least comment on what we have seen/experienced

We were on Freedom the last week of October and had a wonderful time. Service was great throughout.

I have to laugh when thinking about what sjb317 said after reading negative reviews of cruises they had sailed on and enjoyed. I remember in 2004 we were getting on a shuttle at our hotel to go and board the Jewel of the Seas in her inaugural year. Two woman were getting off the shuttle before we got on and they were ranting about what a terrible time they had on Jewel, how the food was "slop", how the toilet paper made life uncomfortable, how the service was awful. There were 8 of us, 4 adults, 4 kids and we were all kind of silent and looking at each other thinking uh oh. Turns out we had an exceptional time and couldn't relate in the least. Some people we have discovered cannot be pleased.:D

Edited by goodml

Right now NCL current promo is an excellent value. I think either ship would be great but maybe a bit more on Getaway for a kid. Price both out and see if they are comparable. Future Cruise cert from Royal isn't a great bargain and would not sway me one way or the other.

I know nothing about NCL but we were on Freedom in December when it was rerouted to Nassau and Cozumel because of propulsion problems. The staff was great. The dining room wait staff was excellent, our cabin attendant was friendly and efficient. Some of the best service we've had in the Windjammer buffet.

I gave up reading reviews. It seems the people most likely to review a cruise are the ones who had a problem. Our only problem was out of the hands of the crew - we didn't get to go to the ports we booked. Oh well, they bent over backwards to make up for it.

I totally agree! We were also on this sailing and the crew was fantastic! We had a GREAT time and would not hesitate one second to book this ship again.

That being said, I would go with your gut and choose what you feel you would enjoy the most. I'm sure you will have a great cruise whatever your choice will be!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Freedom is a great ship. We have sailed on it 8 times and going again in March and next January for 3 weeks. As others have said what you are reading is probably due to the propulsion issues. It is out of dry dock now and should be repaired. I would not hesitate to sail on Freedom.

I will say this... There is a reason why Freedom of the Seas consistently ranks in the top 10 on cruise critics best ships list. My parents have been on 20 cruises on all lines, and FoS was their favorite until we all did Disney Fantasy last summer. We are heading out on FoS Sunday. I would go based on recent reviews. She just came out of drydock a week and a half ago.

Just my $0.02.