Disney lays off 500 IT workers

nbsjcruiser

http://www.wesh.com/news/walt-disney-world-information-technology-workers-laid-off/31015168

Why? So they can have Indian workers replace them. So let Disney take their cruise ships to India and see how they do. If Indian IT workers replacing American workers is Disney's strategy then let them move Disney World to Bangalore.

Another stab in the heart to American Workers. Walt Disney is probably turning in his grave.

Well, Disney claims the 500 figure is incorrect. It also doesn't say that they are sending jobs to India - the contract with that company happened 3 years ago. The story also said the these employees were encouraged to reapply for their jobs. Is it at all possible that some of them just didn't make the grade?

Also some of that is due to the end of the rollout of Magic Bands. A lot of people were brought in to develop that program that may not have work to do anymore now that its in a an expand and upgrade mode.

Outsourcing to india is not the panacea it once was. They are having the same issues now that US is having finding talented workers at lower rates, especially in key markets. Companies are now starting to move IT back in the US but outsource to US companies as the pricing is not as wide a variance and you lose the language and time issues.

http://www.wesh.com/news/walt-disney-world-information-technology-workers-laid-off/31015168

Why? So they can have Indian workers replace them. So let Disney take their cruise ships to India and see how they do. If Indian IT workers replacing American workers is Disney's strategy then let them move Disney World to Bangalore.

Another stab in the heart to American Workers. Walt Disney is probably turning in his grave.

Where does this involve DCL?

And since Greg Fox only spoke with a handful of people who said they were laid off on Friday, just a handful, whilst several people said that they felt like they had a good chance of keeping their jobs, this is a non story without proper reporting which you are unlikely to find.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I know two people who are part of the "layoff" (which I heard only affected 125 people, half or more of whom will be doing other things with the company) and they have already been hired for other positions within Disney. One doesn't even have a day off between positions, the other has a week which they are using accrued vacation time being paid out and going to go fishing in the Keys.

I know two people who are part of the "layoff" (which I heard only affected 125 people, half or more of whom will be doing other things with the company) and they have already been hired for other positions within Disney. One doesn't even have a day off between positions, the other has a week which they are using accrued vacation time being paid out and going to go fishing in the Keys.

Thumbs up! To the degree possible, when positions are eliminated Disney as a whole is fantastic about helping those whose positions are being eliminated transition into other jobs with the company.

I think Walt would be far more concerned about the thousands of ships's crew who aren't American workers by virtue of the ships being registered in the Bahamas instead of in the United States. This is the nature of the cruise industry, for good or ill. IIRC there are only three ships in the entire market that are American ships subject to American labor laws and therefore part of the American labor marketplace (and paradoxically, the cruise line that runs them is called Norwegian!)

I think Norwegian is down to one, the one that does Hawaii and that's it.

Oddly enough its also one of their consistently lower rated ships for staff, which says something.

I think Walt would be far more concerned about the thousands of ships's crew who aren't American workers by virtue of the ships being registered in the Bahamas instead of in the United States. This is the nature of the cruise industry, for good or ill. IIRC there are only three ships in the entire market that are American ships subject to American labor laws and therefore part of the American labor marketplace (and paradoxically, the cruise line that runs them is called Norwegian!)

I think Walt would be far more concerned about the thousands of ships's crew who aren't American workers by virtue of the ships being registered in the Bahamas instead of in the United States.

Why do you think Walt would be concerned about that?

I think Norwegian is down to one, the one that does Hawaii and that's it.

Oddly enough its also one of their consistently lower rated ships for staff, which says something.

That is correct, just the one ship for NCL in Hawaii.

We went back in 2006 when they had the 3 ships, and yes, it was definitely on the low end for service. Reports seem to indicate things are better than they were at the time.

I was on the Pride of Aloha in 2007. Awesome itinerary if you want port heavy and want to see all the Hawaiian islands in one shot. The cruise was more of a floating hotel though. Unfortunately it was my husband's first cruise and he wasn't all that impressed. Hopefully The Dream will change his mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Pride of Aloha in 2007. Awesome itinerary if you want port heavy and want to see all the Hawaiian islands in one shot. The cruise was more of a floating hotel though. Unfortunately it was my husband's first cruise and he wasn't all that impressed. Hopefully The Dream will change his mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are concerned about a "floating hotel" experience, I'm not sure that a short cruise is the right option. At best, you'll have one sea day. I HOPE you opted for a 4 night cruise. Otherwise, he has a floating hotel again! And one port is not even good.

We view the ship as the destination and the ports as a secondary (but nice) thing. To that end, longer cruises on the ship we like best works for us.

You need to go back and read what I wrote in the context of what it was in response to.

OK, I've done that and still don't know why you think Walt would be upset. Perhaps its the earliness of the hour...

If you are concerned about a "floating hotel" experience' date=' I'm not sure that a short cruise is the right option. At best, you'll have one sea day. I HOPE you opted for a 4 night cruise. Otherwise, he has a floating hotel again! And one port is not even good.

We view the ship as the destination and the ports as a secondary (but nice) thing. To that end, longer cruises on the ship we like best works for us.[/quote']

Why do so many people stay on the ship in Nassau then? Isn't it because the ship is more fun than the port?

Why do so many people stay on the ship in Nassau then? Isn't it because the ship is more fun than the port?

Exactly. It is my least favorite port. That's why more people stay on the ship. BUT if you visit each port (rather than staying on the ship), the ship is little more than a floating hotel--you sleep and eat on it without even a sea day to enjoy the ship on the 3 night cruises. And they schedule very few activities on port days....says something when a ship without full scheduling is more fun than a port!

Exactly. It is my least favorite port. That's why more people stay on the ship. BUT if you visit each port (rather than staying on the ship)' date=' the ship is little more than a floating hotel--you sleep and eat on it without even a sea day to enjoy the ship on the 3 night cruises. And they schedule very few activities on port days....says something when a ship without full scheduling is more fun than a port![/quote']

People don't all vacation for the same reason you do. I wouldn't second-guess someone else's prioritization of a day at the spa and sitting in the sun by the adult pool over "shopping for overpriced trinkets".

Walt was a businessman first and foremost.

A great showman second.

ex techie

Oh and he wasn't a big fan of labor unions either.

I'd say Walt was a visionary and Roy was a businessman.