Review Zaandam January 11th 2015 19 day Buenos Aires to Valparaiso via Antarctica.

Alphen

Review Zaandam January 11th 2015 19 day Buenos Aires to Valparaiso via Antarctica.

Hello all, here a quick personal look on our just completed January 11th 2015 19 day Buenos Aires to Valparaiso via Antarctica cruise on Zaandam.

First off, this was our 8th cruise on Holland America and this was by far the best itinerary and best ship of all!

The itinerary wins it naturally. Started off with 2 nights Buenos Aires, after a reasonable smooth check in. On the first night in port did a HAL tango tour which was listed beginning in the brochure at 7:15 PM, but when on board, we had to leave to meet the group at 6:20 PM to meet in the terminal at 6:50. Not such a good start, because we did the tour without dinner.

Ship and crew and this is for all of the cruise were outstanding in my view. There were a few wrinkles outside the control of HAL, but they were handled superb.

After a nice day in Montevideo, we headed for the 2nd best highlight of the cruise, the Falklands. Arriving there our tender rides were unfortunately cancelled, because of current and expected winds, which were well out of limits. A big disappointment, but what can you do.

Antarctica followed and this was breathtaking. Excellently supported by the crew and the Antarctica explorer team that gave numerous talks in the Mondriaan lounge and supporting comments on the PA. Weather throughout our visit, with many wildlife sightings was great, much opportunities for long days on deck, apart from the zodiac visit by crew from the Palmer station, which was also due to the wind, cancelled. Other spectacular viewings of beautiful Antarctica made more than up for this.

On our way back to Valparaiso, great visits to Ushuaia (hot and sunny), Punta Arenas (also a great sunny day) and Puerto Montt (hot and sunny), as well as sailing through beautiful Chilean fjords and passages, were outstanding. In between was a second downside to our cruise, Puerto Chacabuco, where fish factory workers decided to block a major road to emphasize a work conflict they had. Doing so, they brought a major blow to local economy, since all tours had to be cancelled, both HAL and independent, because nobody could get out of town. For us tourists this was merely inconvenient, for the locals this must have been a great (financial) disappointment.

On board we had a nice group of fellow cruise critic guest, who organized several individual group tours and a successful meet and greet.

In all a fantastic cruise, mostly because of the great crew of Zaandam. A lot of things that I missed on our last cruise on Noordam last October, were much better on Zaandam. Although the entertainment of the cruise was mainly outside in all of the scenic cruising, there was a full schedule of indoor activities, not only the expert talks on Antarctica and South America by the Antarctic team and the on board location guide, but there was also a very busy day and night time entertainment program.

Zaandam singers and dancers were great, they did several great shows, as well as the guest entertainers. Next to this, there were regular game shows, quizzes and trivia’s an much more, again something I missed on Noordam in October.

Zaandam was in a great shape and this with an upcoming dry dock period ahead, bravo to the crew! Everything looked ship-shape and there was also daily work where needed. What also was obvious on board, were the fresh flowers throughout the ship, during all of the cruise, something I failed to see on our previous Noordam cruise.

Last but not least, Zaandam crew was great on every level, serving great food and looking after all of our needs!

It is indeed the best itinerary possible!

Do you remember the name(s) ot the antarctica speaker(s)?

Also was there an icepilot?

Ours, back in 2008, also had a great talk afterwards.

Missing the falklands happens all the time. When we did this, we bypassed them altogether due to a massive storm. Palmerstation crew could not get on board as well, so it sounds like a copy of our cruise.

It is indeed the best itinerary possible!

Do you remember the name(s) ot the antarctica speaker(s)?

Also was there an icepilot?

Ours, back in 2008, also had a great talk afterwards.

Missing the falklands happens all the time. When we did this, we bypassed them altogether due to a massive storm. Palmerstation crew could not get on board as well, so it sounds like a copy of our cruise.

Antarctica team;

- Leader David Bresnahan and members Chris(topher) Wilson and Guy Guthridge.

Ice Pilot was former USCG captain Dick Taylor.

Sounds like a wonderful cruise. We have done an expedition trip out of Ushuaia, and landed only once (out of 3 planned) on the Antarctic peninsula. Other landings had to be cancelled, too, but were made up for by the gorgeous scenery while cruising. One just has to realize that the weather rules in that part of the world. I would love to have the chance to cruise that way again.

Thank you very much for this great review! Brings back such wonderful memories for me!

Were you able to see all of Lemaire and Newmeyer Channels?

Could you let us know who the Captain and Hotel Director were? They obviously did a great job!

Capt PJ van Maurik and CD Christina Percel.

Thanks for the great review! Question...how did the internet wifi connection work and do you recall the cost? Did they offer an unlimited use package?

Sorry, did not do the internet, so can not help you there.

Thanks for the great review! Question...how did the internet wifi connection work and do you recall the cost? Did they offer an unlimited use package?

When we did this cruise in January 2014, the Internet connection was typical (slow) for a HAL cruise except when we were sailing in Antarctica. We had no internet connection for 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alpen thanks for your great review. I agree with all you have written since I was on the cruise as well. I was just looking at my photos of the amazing things we saw but your words really summed up my thoughts exactly including the beautiful flowers that I enjoyed seeing everywhere on the ship. The crew couldn't have been nicer and more helpful.

It was hard to leave the ship and return to everyday life. I'm sorry we missed the meet and mingle but I forgot all about it!

Of the two directions this cruise can be taken, you took the one with the best approach, imo. You start to see small icebergs every once in a while, then they grow in both size and number until you reach that land that cannot adequately be described, only experienced.

Truly, the trip of a lifetime. Thanks for reporting on it, and bringing back the memories.

Thanks for the review! I loved reliving our Dec. 2013 Antarctic Holiday Cruise on the Zaandam....what a great ship and crew.:) One of our best cruises ever. We took the Nov. 2014 Incan Empires cruise riding on the excitement of the Zaandam. Unfortunately the Statendam did not have the upbeat attitude of the Zaandam.

Karen

We are on board now- wonderful sunny day in Puerto Chacabuco. No problem with excursions today.

The crew is excellent as you said. Everyone seems so happy to be here. And so many of them are telling us about the wonderful things seen on your previous cruise.

Love the captain. We have never enjoyed the introduction of the officers so much.

We do have free cellular coverage with T Mobile here in port but that will go away as we get farther south. Wifi is slow as always but works fine on my iPhone.

I will check in again when cellular is available if anyone has questions. Fingers crossed for good weather- or at least good enough to make all our planned destinations!

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by travelers07

There are not many reviews of the Antarctic sailings and we are hoping to do this cruise next season. Everything I read says it is absolutely one of the best, and we've met guests on other HAL cruises who have said the same thing.

Sue, have a wonderful time!!!