would you prefer OBC or a lower price?

LizzieDarcy

Hi, Hubby and I and two kids (11 and 15) looking at a cruise Christmas week. It will be our second.

I have it narrowed down to a specific cruise so I've been getting price quotes from various online sites, Costco and Bj's, and the Cruise line itself.

Here's what I'm struggling with. Is it better to pay more and have more OBC or pay less upfront? Most of the qoutes come in around $5858 give or take $30. That's for 2 cabins, in different categories. I am comparing apples to apples as best I can.

One quote is $5288 with $50 OBC.

Another is $5858 with $720 OBC. (Not sure how we qualify for that much but I read the fine print of the qoute they emailed and it sounds legit.

Now I know this is totally subjective. But I'm wondering what the heck we'd spend $700 of OBC on. We did one prior cruise - 4 nights - and our charges when we checked out were less than $150. We spent that on a few cocktails, a couple pictures, babysitting. Didn't do any of the cruiselines excursions. Though we did do some, just on our own. We are not huge drinkers and we're pretty frugal in real life, not out of necessity but just because that's our personalities. Only thing that's changed is the kids are older and like to spend money when they get it ;)

I'd love to hear opinions from veteran cruisers.

make sure all quotes are including taxes/port fees etc

your OBC may help pay the daily gratuities unless you are thinking of not paying them anyway

Edited by LHT28

To me lower price if all is equal but it looks like you're getting $100 better deal

$5288 less $50 OBC = $5238

$5858 less $720 OBC = $5138

So think about these two points:

1. Is the OBC refundable if you don't spend it all [it probably is, but check]

2. How long will they be holding your $570 extra for [5858-5288], will you mss it will you earn $100 interest [or pay $100 interest on borrowings] over that time.

another thought - if there are 4 of you and for example daily gratuties are $10 that's $40 a day. You didn't say how long this was but assuming it's 7 days - that's $280 right there. Still not close to $720 but something less to worry about. You also said the kids were older - usually sodas cost and if they're like my niece and nephew can drink quite a few.

I completely understand what you are saying; we don't spend much on board either, so most of the time I'd rather have a lower price.

Do check if the OBC is refundable; in Dec. on our cruise we already had free grats and $525 in OBC. $100 of that was from the cruise line and was not refundable. The rest was from the TA and was refundable. We got about $325 back; only spent money on internet time and a couple of pictures.

We don't drink and don't like ship excursions. Sure, we could have spent the money on board, but there really wasn't anything we wanted. I'd only spend OBC that wasn't refundable, or on something we really wanted, but that's us.

Hi, Hubby and I and two kids (11 and 15) looking at a cruise Christmas week. It will be our second.

I have it narrowed down to a specific cruise so I've been getting price quotes from various online sites, Costco and Bj's, and the Cruise line itself.

Here's what I'm struggling with. Is it better to pay more and have more OBC or pay less upfront? Most of the qoutes come in around $5858 give or take $30. That's for 2 cabins, in different categories. I am comparing apples to apples as best I can.

One quote is $5288 with $50 OBC.

Another is $5858 with $720 OBC. (Not sure how we qualify for that much but I read the fine print of the qoute they emailed and it sounds legit.

Now I know this is totally subjective. But I'm wondering what the heck we'd spend $700 of OBC on. We did one prior cruise - 4 nights - and our charges when we checked out were less than $150. We spent that on a few cocktails, a couple pictures, babysitting. Didn't do any of the cruiselines excursions. Though we did do some, just on our own. We are not huge drinkers and we're pretty frugal in real life, not out of necessity but just because that's our personalities. Only thing that's changed is the kids are older and like to spend money when they get it ;)

I'd love to hear opinions from veteran cruisers.

well it depends on how you spend money on board. spending 600 to get basically $120 free on board. but unless that higher price comes with a better cabin(location, etc) or the ship involved has more to offer, I would be hard pressed to spend it.